CoffeeShop : Forum : You shouldn't rely on anyone, ..

You shouldn't rely on anyone, yet get support by everyone.

8 Years Ago

I learned something today, let's call it a life lesson. At this moment I have a mentor (which we all have in some form or another) who is teaching me the ways of running a business. For some background, I created a business with the help of a guy (now a friend) who has been supporting my dream since the beginning; anyways one thing I had to do was get a team together and that's been a fun roller coaster haha. I got together a group of four which includes me and we've been working together since then. My mentor has been teaching us all but I think one of his lessons (whether it was intentional or not I'll never know) has finally sunk in for me. You see, I've been relying on everyone around me to get things done and help me get this off the ground. I was relying on everyone rather than having them support me, which there's a big difference. I believed it was "one in the same" at one time; that if you support me it's the same as relying on someone, yet it's not. See, when you rely on someone it means whether they fail or succeed, it affects you greatly; their actions now affect your whole plan. Having someone support you is way different and I may have learned that the hard way. With me relying on others to do the tasks given, when somebody failed or took way longer than anticipated, it pushed all my plans way back and left me helpless; and with that happening today I finally realized the difference. When someone supports you, it means your willing to handle all the work, get everything done even if the support doesn't come; almost like a backup plan if everyone else fails. All the support does is make it easier for you if they succeed, yet your working as if none came. You don't rely on anyone, but ask for their support. I realized that difference today. I realized that painful truth. I relied on my mentor for so much, I relied on my partners to work for something they may not succeed in, I relied on everyone and that was wrong. I'll ask for support and continue as if I'll receive none of it.