NYCL Writers' Group : Forum : Follow the Leader. Am I the le..

Follow the Leader. Am I the leader?

13 Years Ago

Anyways, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be taking charge of this group, I can, no difficult feat, but I can't say I'll be here ALL the time, like Susan said, because I'm planning a trip to Europe. I'll check up on the group once in a while if this has sort of now become my responsibility. I accept the task. Sorry Susan if it seemed that I wasn't pleased in being in charge of the group. But if anyone would like to replace me because they love being in charge, especially a writer's group, by all means proceed in doing so. Now, what was the point of this blurb except for the fact that I'm questioning my superiority? Well, I'll tell you. I'm posting a new idea for the group that will get everyone's brains thinking, at least I hope. What is my ingenious idea. Well I'll stop spamming you with useless information and show you instead. 

Task:

Create a story using dialog you hear on the street. 

Now really, it's just dialog you hear but if you want to write a story within the dialog, be my guest. 

This task requires three tools: a pen, paper, and a pocket. The task is to venture outside and when you hear someone say something witty or worth recording, you jot it down. Through the dialog you pick up you'll find that you've created a neat story. Here's an example: (Apologies for it being a tad rude)

I hear you saw Justin Bieber. Did you meet him, did his voice crack? He hates sexists, racists, all those guys. 
One small tiny toy after we're done. Call the cops! He's so tiny I thought it was a stuffed animal. I kicked off the door. I'm gonna kill him sitting drinking coffee in my underwear. Glass of wine in her hand and the bottle at my feet. Tiny fingers and strong hands, do you know how many times I've f*****g pissed in the subway? 
JESUS! Yes, the Jesus section. You don't need to be sorry, sir. I smoke a quarter pound a day, it's going to sit in the fire. I love mac and cheese. I studied all night for my History test. These glasses actually enhance my night vision. Yo, f**k Valentine's day. 

So, I put it all the dialog I collected into one paragraph. Interesting/funny story, don't you think? If anyone actually does this. I'd be welcomed to read what you come up with. 

Cheers and happy hunting/writing/listening,

Andy Ruffett

Re: Follow the Leader. Am I the leader?

13 Years Ago

Concerning other people's conversations one overhears, I think the singular most amazing line I've ever heard was when a girl was walking down a hall, talking loudly on her cell phone, said (possibly inappropriate content ahead), "Okay, and I'll bring the d***o." Pretty hilarious, if you ask me (especially the associated implications).

Re: Follow the Leader. Am I the leader?

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Neo-Water Basilisk
Concerning other people's conversations one overhears, I think the singular most amazing line I've ever heard was when a girl was walking down a hall, talking loudly on her cell phone, said (possibly inappropriate content ahead), "Okay, and I'll bring the d***o." Pretty hilarious, if you ask me (especially the associated implications).

I completely agree. Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I guess another way you could look at this is that you post you're favourite quote that you heard someone utter. Totally by accident of course. Maybe we then can combine them and create a story.