Night Syndrome : Forum : Favourite Manga/Anime

Favourite Manga/Anime

13 Years Ago

Have an obsession with a particular manga and/or anime? Then come on over and tell us all about it!!

"Paradise Kiss" - Ai Yazawa

13 Years Ago

I think I'll start off by recommending a must-watch/-read: Paradise Kiss. This lovely little tale about human development, achieving one's dreams, and all that jazz tells the story of Yukari, a struggling high-school student trying to get by on whatever grades she manages to pull together. One day, she is randomly recruited by a strange group of teenagers (pretty much her own age) who are all students at the local and very prestigious art academy, Yaza Arts. This eccentric group of talented fashionistas consists of the rich and extremely handsome George, considered the leader of the group, and a bisexual heartthrob, Arashi and Miwako, a cute couple, and Isabella, a transvestite. They all wish for Yukari to model for their own clothing brand, Paradise Kiss, in an upcoming fashion contest at the academy, the prize of which is a scholarship. Eventually, Yukari agrees, though at first she doesn't think it a good idea, what with her study plans and exams. In the process, Yukari develops intense feelings for George, who, likewise, helps her realise her true potential.

Apart from the breathtaking colours and designs packed inside just 12 episodes that make up this fabulous series, the main factor that pulled me in until the end was how realistic it was for an anime of its kind. A personal favourite of mine! Don't hesitate to check out Ai Yazawa's other works, including NANA and Gokinjo Monogatari (a semi-prequel to Paradise Kiss).