Night Syndrome : Forum : Who's Your Favourite Greek God..

Who's Your Favourite Greek God or Goddess?

14 Years Ago

That's right! Pick one or more of your favourite immortals from Greek mythology and talk a little about them. :)

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I have a few favourites from Greek mythology. I used to like Hades, Lord of the Underworld, but that was when I was in my 'dark/depression' phase, until I realised that staying underground for all eternity would get quite boring, with nothing by a three-headed dog and souls to keep you company.

So now, my favourite Greek gods and goddesses are Poseidon, God of the Sea (no idea why but I have an attraction to water, even though my Star Sign is an Air symbol), Artemis, Goddess of the Hunt and the Moon (but only because I like the full moon), Eris, Goddess of Chaos and Discord, and Morpheus, God of Dreams.

I'm not sure if any of you remember but Eris was featured in the 2003 animated cartoon movie 'Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas', with Brad Pitt doing the voice of Sinbad, and Michelle Pfeiffer the voice of Eris.

But my personal favourite would have to be Morpheus. Both his name and his role are striking, and here's why.

Morpheus, the God of Dreams, was the son of Hypnos, the God of Sleep, and Nyx, the Goddess of Night. He never appeared in any canon Greek myths. He is known to sleep on an ebony bed in a cave, surrounded by poppy flowers. Poppy flowers contain opium, a dream-inducing drug, which is also used as an anaesthetic nowadays. Hence why the drug has become known as 'morphine' (once morphium).