Novelist's Desk : Forum : Please Review! Irish Song: Cha..

[reply] [quote]

Please Review! Irish Song: Chapter 1 Icy Pond

11 Years Ago

I walked out side, angrier than I thought possible. How could he say that to me! I'm eighteen and he want me to get married! As the wind blew sending a chill through me I realized how under dressed I was for the cold Irish nights. They were so different from the ones in California. I was wearing a purple tank top with greenish blue jeans. I look back at my house and decide screw it, I was cold but he pissed me off more. I walked out into the wood, trying to calm myself down. i know my father loves me but he thinks I'm just a ditzy girl and in no way fit to be a princess. I still can't believe it. My father is the king of a small kingdom in Ireland in Wicklow county. Glendalough. Most of the world thought it to be only a city but to the ones who truly know. We are the last remaining kingdom of Ireland. I lived with my mother in California not knowing of my father's occupation until she was killed. Hit men after my father. I was sent back home. Apparently I lived here for three years, but I have no memory of it. Lost in my thoughts I found myself near a frozen lake. The moonlight was shining off the ice, the only voice to be heard was the nightingale singing its sad song. The pond seemed to glow, and the nightingale was sitting in the middle of it. Drawing me closer, I stepped out on to the ice, slipping slightly, but kept moving towards the beautiful voice. As I grew closer to the bird its voice changing in to a horrible sound. Loud and squawking. I covered my ears as the ice cracked my feet. A voice, a squawking like sounding voice, told me to sing. I had an urge not to sing but I couldn't deny that horrible sound. "Sing my darling, something simple." The voice cackled. "Just one note." I could feel my self open my mouth to sing, I let out a note. The one note that may have cost me my freedom. I couldn't think about that, all I wanted was for the sound to end and to be back home. As soon as I finished that note, that killing note. The ice broke. I tried to scream but I had no voice. As I felt the cold water grasping me and bringing me deeper as if it was it was alive. Above the water that cackling voice broke out into laughter. "Thank you my dear. You voice was truly beautiful. But alas its mine until your true loves first kiss." and then the voice was gone and the night was as silent as death. Death. The cold water soon entering my lungs, drawing the life out of me. I closed my eyes. I'm sorry father. Just as I felt the last breath of life leave me a jolt of heat burst through me. I could hear voices but the nightingales words played through my head. "True loves first kiss." 
 *************************************************************************************
 I was walking through the wood, heading to my little pond, when I heard singing. I walked a little faster to find the voice of that beautiful sound. When I broke the edge of the trees, thats when I saw her. This beautiful woman, pale skin, bright red hair. Her eyes, they were two different colors. One was a beautiful blue, like the sea in the Caribbean. The other a bright green the color of a emerald. Suddenly the ice fell from beneath her feet. With out thinking I broke out in to a sprint and dove into the water. I reached out and pulled the girl to me. I had to get her out of this water before the both of us died of the cold. As I swam back towards the surface a hand jutted into the water. With out giving it a second thought, I grasped that hand, it pulled me and the young women out of the water. Gasping for breath I laid the woman down and started to check if she was still alive. She was. I started to stand when two huge guys jerked me to my feet. "State your name and why you were with the princess." I looked at the man who now was holding the princess. It was King Triton, I have just saved a princess. "Are you deaf boy?" "No sir. I'm sorry your majesty. My name is Eric McMahon." I kept my head up high trying to stop the shivering of my body and the chattering of my teeth. The king gave a nod and the two men let go. "Now, Eric. Why were you and my daughter in the pond this late at night and in season?" I had to tell the truth but I needed to get out of the cold or these clothes first. Plus his daughter need to see a doctor. "Sir I will tell you the whole story but first we should take your daughter to my father the head doctor at the hospital, plus it is very cold and I do not want her to get any worse." I looked the king straight in the eye and waited for his reply. He called one of his men over and had him take the princess to the hospital and ask for my father. "Tell them I sent you. It will help."  The king nodded and sent them on their way. "Now, Eric McMahon. Was that your way to get out of the cold? To get away from my questions?" The king asked as he sat down on a near by log. I looked at him, "Your majesty you could ask me questions for how ever long and where ever you like. I will stand out here all night. I truly wanted her to see medical treatment. Now to answer your earlier question I was walking home, I live just through these trees and I heard singing." The king got a worried look on his face. "You and I both no the tales and let's hope that they are not true." He nodded and worry was etched upon his face. "I broke through the tree line and saw your daughter singing and then she fell through the ice. I quickly jumped in and was bringing her to the surface when you arrived." I looked Triton right in the eye and waited. I  was freezing and I knew I was going to pay for this in the morning. "Eric. You have done you kingdom great servise. I would like to invite you to our home once my daughter is feeling up to it." King Triton held out his hand and shook it with mine. I bowed with my had over my heart (The traditional way to bow in the kingdom). "Thank you and I would be honored." The king nodded and we parted ways. I jogged back to my house and quickly stripped of my clothes and warmed up. I just saved the Princess of Glendalough, whom I didn't even know existed, and I do not even know her name.