Novelist Angst Annex : Forum : Post Novel Blues

Post Novel Blues

15 Years Ago

<Hiccup>  Sorry. I've had a few. 

I finished my novel last week. I got to type those six magic letters, T H E  E N D. Woo hoo! Party time, right? 

Wrong. I am bereft. I am filled with grief. I am not ready to let my characters go. I am being completely serious - I'm depressed.

Anybody out there have a similar experience? How does one get over such a thing, I wonder? I thought about a sequel, but the plot really does not permit. It wouldn't fly.

So now I am pondering new projects. Reading early celtic history. And 14th Century France. Trying to fall in love with a new book. Failing. But it's early days yet.

Barkeep? Another absinthe. Here are my car keys.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Oh, I have had the same experience to the point of not being able to finish my novel. I have been working on something since I was 11 and I am now 21 . . . I still haven't finished it because I am not wanting to give up on the characters.

BUT

I am finally getting over that fear because well I want to make it as a novelist. It has been a dream of mine since I was a child.

Basically, I figure there will be more characters to come . . . even better characters [but let's admit it nothing can beat your first character, right?]. 

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one who feels like this . . . I haven't finished my novel yet and I have post novel blues. LOL.

-Jerney