Short Stories : Forum : Idea for a Story

[reply] [quote]

Idea for a Story

8 Years Ago

Hey guys! First of all I wanna say thanks for joining I am commited to read your work. I hope you read mine as well. I have an idea for a story! I would really love your opinion and hopefully we can help each other with ideas. Here it goes... This story is titled Slaved Shadow: its about a man who did nothing but evil deeds in his life and those who do bad in the world are later made shadows of other humans, making them slaves. But the shadow still wants to do harm and decides to kill the man. Bamm! There it is. Now I need some constructive ideas. Thanks guys!
[reply] [quote]

Re: Idea for a Story

8 Years Ago

Maybe you could play off of day and night.  The shadows lose their influence during daylight, but are granted more freedom in the black of night.  Who is our shadow a slave to?  Someone he used to hate maybe?
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

Good advice, I was thinking of it, but I also thought of shadows at day, thew grow and shorten depending on the time, maybe a certain time of limited power. And a slave to a man he hated? Very good idea. Motive? Jealousy? Envy? Thanks for the ideas
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

I might suggest that the daytime would be prison and he would have very limited room to walk or do anything but what would be day to us would be x2 for him and when night comes he is so foaming at the mouth that he runs into other shadows and maybe one attaches himself or herself to him then that leads to bigger problems for him... just some ideas I love the name its great.. If you need anymore let me know and i use books and i can tell you what books to get to help you... 

-Chuck 
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

thats a good idea, attatching to other shadows, that gives me an idea. thanks alot
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

does the shadow have an end goal? Is there a lesson to be learned from this tale or is it just a sporadic fit of fiction? What can a reader take away from this story that helps cement the memory of your tale? How would dialog work and could you make the story so the reader could relate? 
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

Well, first of all, a brilliantly creative idea. Now for my suggestions:

- The shadow is condemned to be a shadow of an evil man as well, so he can see the wrongdoing from a different perspective. But things doesn't go as planned; instead of realizing that he was wrong, he finds a way to communicate with that evil person, and together they compile a sinister plot to take over both the physical realm and the shadow realm, gaining absolute control over the usniverse, over life and death, and so on and so forth.
Note: You can make the evil man an evil woman, so that the shadow will fall in love with her, and together, they will rule the world! (if you're into romance, although this is not classical romance, but a type that I find much more appealing.)

- The shadow makes the person think he is crazy. Basically torturing him mentally. You could even make him kill himself in the end (I can already write the last sentences (if he killed himself by jumping:) "And so the person dove toward the shadow, toward the menace that caused him such insufferable torment. The shadow grew smaller as life grew shorter, until both - disappeared.") Sorry, couldn't stop myself.
The core of this idea is to make it about the psychological disorder and the process that the person goes through from sanity to insanity. It could be an overall metaphor for mental-disorders: an illness that originates from our human-nature, but is not human: it is dark and somber. I like giving mystical (or even mythological) explanations to every-day things, so you can go for mental-illness.
Note: You may want to read my new story: "Sanity." It describes a very similar process to what I've just said.

The fact that the shadows are confined in daytime and free to move in the dark is also very good.

This project sounds very interesting to me. If you need any help with writing, editing, developing ideas or anything, I'm here to help, as I think all of us are.
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

Yes I like it. But I will make the woman the evil shadow to introduce seduction towards men and how easily we fall into it. The whole take over the world is an idea I really don't like. But I will give her a motive probably to take over his body tricking him in what he thought was love. Suicide? Hmm.