The Comic Book, Nerdy And Overall Geek Culture Of Writer's Cafe : Forum : Introducing myself

Introducing myself

16 Years Ago

Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself here. My name is Curtis Lawson and I'm a 28 year old writer from Boston. My main project currently is a self published comic called Kincaid. The comic is basically a conspiracy/super hero book with out the spandex and capes and without any actual good guys, just shades of gray. Think X-files merged with X-men and a touch of SLC Punk.
If you're interested in checking out my comic work, there are some samples posted at www.brokensoulpress.com

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hey i previewed your comic. it's pretty intresting, i'm intrigued. I just started writing for Graphic novels. I have one script called City 24 that was on the newest writings untill it was bumped off after about 15 seconds. Anyway do you have any advice, well does anyone have advice as to how i can learn to write for graphic novels. i.e workshops, books, whatever.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Here's a list of books that I found very helpful...
Scott McCloud - Understanding Comics
Scott McClout - Making Comics
Will Eisner- Graphic Story Telling and Visual Narrative
The complete idiots guid to creating a graphic novel (I forget who wrote that one)

As for script formats you can find a pretty good one that I've adopted on the Dark Horse comics site under their submissions policy.

The only real advice I can give you is to be very picky about the artist you work with. make sure that he or she understands your vision and can interpret your ideas clearly and accurately. Also, be willing to shell out money. The majority of artists interested in comics are either flakes who won't get the job done, or very professional personalities who justly want to be compensated for making your vision a reality. If you want a good product you have to be willing to pay.
Other than that, it's just a matter of plugging away and working hard.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Also, always remember that, aside from dialogue, you are writing for the artist not for the audience Thus always think visually when you write comic scripts.