The Wood Beyond The World : Forum : The "rules"

The "rules"

16 Years Ago

The first rule is courtesy.

No name-calling of other writers or their characters. If something ticks you off, wait a few minutes before you post about it.

The review process is entirely open. Review whatever you wish to, as many times as you like. The group should remain very small, and you can take your time thinking and writing.

I don't want to be a moderator. I just wanted to give writers of fantasy whose work I'm interested in a place to get to know each other's work and think freely about it.

If you don't want to do fairly in-depth reviews, it might be best not to join. If you don't want to discuss the craft of writing in all it's particulars -- if you've got an obsession with a particular technique or style -- it might be best not to join. Wide-ranging and open-minded is the way I'd like this group to be characterized.

I don't want to have rules. I want to have community.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

It will be a pleasure to be in such great company. I might suggest that we also keep an open mind to what other writers are trying to accomplish. I am sure we all have different styles and reasons for being here. Lets make this fun and learn a thing or two, or three.

Nick.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hear, hear. I like the idea of community and not tons of rules. Or assignments each week.

My offers will be meager for the next little while as I rip apart the first set of chapters of my novel. And finish my research in shamanism and Amerindian storytelling. But there are goodies to check out and soon new stuff.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I think these are just the rules for a bright bunch like this.

Nick, I like how you've written with such confidence in your bio. You know who you are and what you want and what you don't need. I recall once reading a Tale of Netherron on Urbis and liking it very much.

And I see we have an imaginative tiger in our tank. A very personable tiger, to be sure. Glad Loekie is here.

All for one, one for all!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Loekie
Hear, hear. I like the idea of community and not tons of rules. Or assignments each week.

My offers will be meager for the next little while as I rip apart the first set of chapters of my novel. And finish my research in shamanism and Amerindian storytelling. But there are goodies to check out and soon new stuff.

Loekie, I'm very interested in that shamanism research, as a big part of my work derives from the shaman traditions of the Sami and other reindeer-herding peoples of Arctic Europe. Any time you'd like to share what you're learning here, I'd really welcome it.

When I decided to use that part of my heritage I just had some notions that more or less came from my unconscious -- then found out, when I did real research, that I was dead-on about most of them. I'm morphing what I know, so it isn't directly parallel to actual practices, but I do want it to be reality-based.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Bumped for new Woodfolk.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Another bump, if you will.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I'm glad I dug just a little deeper. In this way, this is bumped for some of the newer kids on the block.

These rules are very similar to the rules on the writing list I moderate; have fun, and play nice.

I am honored to be in such esteemed company.

Lisa

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

bumping

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

bumping

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Bumping for new member.  (Loekie, I'm warning you....)

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Leah,

I love it when you do the bump.

Jeanie

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

What? What did I do? But when it comes to bumping, my dear, you do it the best. Hee-hee.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I can see why Jeanie likes it here:  in Nick and Loekie she's found her soulmates.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Leah,

Hah, who says white girls ain't got no soul?  Now I've got TWO, which makes me soul-lee-er than thou.

Jeanie

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

bumpedy bump

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Moving this thread up for newer members.