The Writer's Life : Forum : Writing the screenplay

[reply] [quote]

Writing the screenplay

16 Years Ago

It never really occured to me before just how difficult it is to write a script. It's something completely different from writing a story. Instead of thinking in terms of thoughts and feelings, everything has to be visual. So far, it hasn't been a very easy adjustment for me. I used to be more visual with my thinking, but I trained myself for writing fiction. Now I'm having a hard time making the switch back. =(

Still, so far I have the opening scene plotted out and the scene right after that. I think I've made a fairly good start actually. I'm going to try my best to get this completed as soon as possible. The downside, as I said, is retraining my mind to think in terms of pictures and not the abstract. The upside? I won't have to write a min. of 80,000 words! That's great news for yours truely, since I've never actually managed to write that many words into one story.

Fairly pathetic, hu?

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Well best of everything good in the way of success with writing the screenplay.  I tried reading one once, that was hard enough, let alone writing it. 

I too used to have problems with enough words for a novel, but at the moment it's gone the other way.  My latest, is up to 70,000 and still only 2/3rds complete.  Can see there will be some significant cutting and trimming down.

A further thought to anyone reading this, and to fuel further discussion, do other writers set themselves a target for number of words written in a day?  My own target is 2000, although I very rarely achieve it.  I do however, spend most of my day sat at the computer in front of a "Word" doccument...
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

The book I got on the subject has been helping tremendously. I actually plotted out the whole thing already! Very few of the real details, of course, but I do know all of the key events in the script now. ^-^ Ah, sending my bf to go play with his friends today has really helped me out a lot! I've gotten a lot more done than I thought I would, especially considering my late start and penchant for stopping and wondering around the apartment.

I've always set rather modest goals as far as writing goes. I tell myself I'm going to write at least 200 words. Sometimes, I strugle to get in that many, other times I manage to write over a thousand. I'm sure this method would work a hell of a lot better if I weren't sso easily distracted and didn't run around doing other things when I'm really supposed to be writing. Also, the day long breaks aren't helping much.

Sometimes I think I really wasn't cut out to be an author. I spend so much of my time avoiding it....

I might not feel so badly if I didn't personally know someone capable of sending out a completed, publish ready 100,000 word novel in under three weeks....

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Found this on internet which may be of interest to anyone writing screenplay.  Have a look at < for an on-line proffessional screenwriting editor.  I don't know if it's any good, never written any screenplay...
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Ive always been told that I write visually and I have been very tempted to try my hand at screenplays. The only problem being that that is a very complicated format that I am yet to figure out.

I might have to get myself a book like our fearless leader Tiffany ;)