music addict : Forum : Music To Write To

[reply] [quote]

Music To Write To

11 Years Ago

Everyone has their own approach when it comes time to write some new scratch, be it poetry, lyrics, stories, etc. Sometimes the piece writes itself in-between the helter skelter of everyday life; just falling into our notepad as if the words had been there all along. Other times, in the calm moments we've set aside to flex our imagination muscles, we find that we need a catalyst to facilitate the process. Sometimes coffee or tea helps. Sometimes it's the environment we're in. Often though, we turn to music.

The idea here is to post suggestions on what works for you when it comes to writing to music, and why. I find it easier to write to music that has a lot of atmosphere, with little to no lyrics. Movie Scores are great for this, of which Thomas Newman is my favorite (Shawshank Redemption, Finding Nemo, American Beauty, etc.).

Lunar is another favorite of mine. That link will take you to their bandcamp page where they have all of their albums available for free. The style of the music is all instrumental. I can only properly describe it as electronic-symphonic. They have good energy for when I feel my writing needs it.

But my biggest go-to for writing to music has to be Nine Inch Nails' Ghosts album. It's a 36 track instrumental album that Trent Reznor describes simply as "daydream music." And it is. And that's exactly why I love it. Here's a link to a YouTube playlist with all the tracks.

Anyway, I know you guys have them: What is your favorite music to write to?
[reply] [quote]

Re: Music To Write To

11 Years Ago

black moth super rainbow and blues has been helpful today
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

It depends on my mood, but I usually listen to post-rock songs, I find myself very inspired by short bursts of lyrics and unpredictable crescendos or just the instruments doing their talk. My personal favourites for writing are Kings of Convenience, Mogwai, Hammock, Auburn Lull, And So I Watch You From Afar. I use jazz for storylines - Bohren & der Club of Gore. I do believe each genre carries something but in the end, it's heavily a matter of personal preference.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

It varies with me. Usually when I'm listening to a playlist a certain song will come up, whether I've heard it before or not, and something in my brain would click and I would have an idea to write.