An Angel Watching Over Her

An Angel Watching Over Her

A Story by Ania L

                 Hanging the final garish decoration on the tree, I watched her spring up with a slight gasp. Hands on hips she grinned, barely containing her pride and excitement. It always amused me to watch her prepare for Christmas. She seemed to fluctuate between fierce warrior maiden in the local shopping centre and domestic Goddess. Or at least her own interpretation anyway, which involved a lot of over-floured worktops and disappointed bakes.

                She had never looked happier than in that very moment. I loved how her blue eyes reflected the twinkling fairy lights, not dimmed by the years of hardship we had endured. For her, the two weeks in the run up to Christmas always brought a much needed respite. She didn’t notice that the tinsel was worn and flaking little specks of glitter on to the laminated floorboards. She didn’t see the woollen snowman with the missing button, or the chipped glass bauble. Or that the presents scattered underneath the synthetic tree numbered less than a couple of years back. All she needed were a few sugared candy-canes and an angel watching over her.

She turned and glanced at me. Her red lips were curved upwards with pure joy. I smiled back, hoping it wouldn’t belie my heavy heart. As much as I knew she would enjoy this year, I prayed that next year things would get better. It was my Christmas wish to myself once again.

© 2013 Ania L


Author's Note

Ania L
All of my short stories will link together eventually.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the idea of a lot of short, 2-3 paragraph stories that tie in together. That's a really cool style. As far as the writing goes, you're managing to fit a lot of character into a small story and that is pretty impressive. Your descriptions are on point, and your setting is very strong.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ania L

10 Years Ago

Thanks very much, really appreciate the positive comments- given me a big smile for the holiday seas.. read more



Reviews

This is very nice writing. The subject of observation, going about her tasks, makes one want to know her better.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ania L

9 Years Ago

Thanks very much. I'm trying to write flash fiction that links together, so we should find out a lit.. read more
You write really well.your images are very vivid and your stories hold my attention and keep me wondering" what next?".I really like:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ania L

10 Years Ago

This really made me grin, thank you very much x x
Vidya Bacchus

10 Years Ago

You are welcome:)
I like the idea of a lot of short, 2-3 paragraph stories that tie in together. That's a really cool style. As far as the writing goes, you're managing to fit a lot of character into a small story and that is pretty impressive. Your descriptions are on point, and your setting is very strong.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ania L

10 Years Ago

Thanks very much, really appreciate the positive comments- given me a big smile for the holiday seas.. read more
I really love the way you write. Your description and emotions are perfect and the story line within this is great. You have a really good imagination for sure, and I am loving your writes that I have read so far!

Great job, girlie. x

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ania L

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the review, first one on the piece so was a little worried about it...
And thank yo.. read more
Any and all reviews very welcome! Feel free to chat away...

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

492 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 9, 2013
Last Updated on December 23, 2013

Author

Ania L
Ania L

United Kingdom



Writing
Headlights Headlights

A Story by Ania L



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The sixties The sixties

A Poem by Daffy