Blown Away in the Breeze

Blown Away in the Breeze

A Story by Jim_F
"

He was my friend, my colleague and my brother. When I first met him I knew that when it came to being fearless and unbreakable, there was no other.

"

He was my friend, my colleague and my brother.

When I first met him I knew that when it came to being fearless and unbreakable,

there was no other.


This man helped me and showed me the ropes.

Every night we would sit by a fire, smoke a cigar together, console one another, and laughed

at each-others dumb jokes.


Then a chance arose to break out of routine when the man with a star on his collar said

in a deep raspy voice, “A mountain awaits us tomorrow.” After the words came out of his mouth,

the whole detail froze.

Not I, a smile touched my face and my heart picked up pace as my hand rose. He looked at me and I spoke, “Sir, May we bring along this guy I know? He's experienced, trustworthy and a goddamn hero.”


The next day came and it all felt the same. heat, sand, and an absence of rain. But, instead of

the ordinary day, leaving and worrying about ever being seen again, I was going to go out on a mission with my closest friend.


We made it to the foot of the towering monster of a mountain, it looked and laughed mocking our meek size as it dared us to try. We were tasked to take the back, where there was no distinguishable path. The route we had to take would hopefully not bother the giant. If it was irritated it could crush us, like ants, at the drop of a dime. With our gear we moved on ready to attack, as if the heinously over-sized hill had already committed the unspeakable crime.


This was fun we both moved on and made it most of the way up to the top of the lazy giants back and out of no where a detour blocked our path.

There was only one way up, it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out; no calculations of complicated math.

We had to climb the cliff to get to the top, so we set down our packs. Carelessly, I slipped and almost fell, then at the quickest of moments he pulled me back and we laughed.


Our cigars were finished and with a glance I volunteered to go first. As a kid growing up climbing trees I made it to the top, climbing one of its spikes with remarkable ease. Looking down at my buddy, I laughed and yelled, “To top that, you'd have to be a f*****g monkey” In response he shook his head from side to side and began to advance up the rocky cliff face that was angled close to ninety degrees.


He was up and he made it. Half of his body was over the edge and then I felt that terribly refreshing breeze. The wind picked up and it bothered the earthly beast. It moved and it shook and rocks began to fall, including the one that his boot seized and took. With a smile and a grin his hand slipped and I never got to see this man amongst men open his eyes again.


I still can remember that grin and all I can think is what the hell were we thinking trying to take on the world and truly expect to win.


The unbreakable man I once knew, broke and “You'd have to be a f*****g monkey”, were some of the last words that I spoke.


I still can't believe you are gone.  You are a true hero brother and as long as I'm around you will live on.


© 2015 Jim_F


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
Added on April 1, 2015
Last Updated on April 1, 2015
Tags: Loss, Friendship, War, Adventure

Author

Jim_F
Jim_F

Bloomington, MN



About
As wise as the man standing tall on the sky rise. A smile. He doesn't fall, he flies. All of a sudden there's a stop, a crash, he dies......What a Twist...... (Hint to the general populous: You do.. more..

Writing