Lake

Lake

A Story by Alex Ware
"

Just waiting patiently in the lake..

"

Lake

John was bored. He’d been sat here doing this s**t for hours. Here he’d spent the longest day of his life so far, right here on a small dilapidated boat in the middle of the lake. The water was ripe with algae fuelled and given life by the sun beating powerfully, un-obscured down upon it. A strong breeze had been alternating direction, pushing him on a grand tour of the lake but never reaching the powerful, silent trees of the bank.


Momentarily, a large fish or other creature would get lost and blindly knock into his boat, threatening the structure of the aged craft. It was all well and good and peaceful, John mused to himself, but it had been five hours, sat cross legged with the old rod slung listlessly into the waters. Still nothing had happened.


He went over the instructions in his mind once more. Sit cross legged, no bait on the hook, and wait silently on the 5th day of April. At some point in the day it will appear.

John sighed, having lost faith in the old rumours. The wind intensified its chill as the sun abated, it would soon be nightfall. The lure of the oar by his side was too inviting, so, sighing once more, he placed his rod down momentarily and lifted the single small oar lying tarnished by his side.


Of course, just as he did so, a thick fog slowly descended upon the lake, his boat swayed gently. Before him, sparkles of blue and green formed an orb of energy, dissipating into an ethereal figure.  Blue, cross legged and big bellied, with a knowing smile and only a tuft of hair atop his head. He’d waited just long enough for the genie to arrive.

“Uh, hello genie.” John managed.

“My son, you have come far for secrets granting you riches, am I correct in this?”

John nodded.

“You have waited patiently, and thus I shall grant you the knowledge you seek. There is an easy way for you, personally to make a lot of money. Come closer, child.”

John listened intently.


“You, my son, have been mis-sold PPI in the last 18 months. There are still thousands of pounds available in mis-sold payment protection insurance. Find out for free if you can make a substantial claim!”

Anger rose in Johns chest as he breathed deeply “God-damn you!”


The genie lent back and roared a deep laugh, before clicking his fingers. In an instant, the fog disappeared and Johns boat popped away into thin air along with it. John cursed violently as he thrashed about in the water, already turning to swim his way to shore.

Snapping his fingers again, the genie disappeared, his deep voice echoing away with him in the air “Get a life sad-act...”

© 2017 Alex Ware


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The ending!! Awesome!

The description of the lake and John's boredom was great at the beginning. The full air could be felt. And the genie's entrance was great. I loved what he did in the end with the boat. Just vanishing it so John fell into the water. How badass!

Love,
Vasilees.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hahaha, I'm on TPS, goddamn it!

Posted 6 Years Ago


The ending!! Awesome!

The description of the lake and John's boredom was great at the beginning. The full air could be felt. And the genie's entrance was great. I loved what he did in the end with the boat. Just vanishing it so John fell into the water. How badass!

Love,
Vasilees.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 21, 2017
Last Updated on August 21, 2017

Author

Alex Ware
Alex Ware

Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom



About
Hi all I'm an I.T professional and student living in Oxford who enjoyed writing when I was younger, and want to explore those abilities again. I'd love to work towards collections of longer stor.. more..

Writing
The Lookout The Lookout

A Story by Alex Ware


Missing Link Missing Link

A Story by Alex Ware