My Life Changed that Day

My Life Changed that Day

A Story by Analae
"

This is an academic essay.

"

It had to be a joke.  A cruel joke.  Tears stung my face in the cold winter air.  It was Christmas of 1996.  A child is not supposed to cry on Christmas.  It just had to be a joke, because I was crying.  I walked, my feet dragging the ground.  I was saying good bye to my best friend, a sorrel quarter horse named Goldie.

                I had been riding her for a year now and loved her like she was family.  The lady that owned her was moving and was selling her, so I was having to say goodbye.  She was next door to where my family lived and I had been told to go get her, for she had been sold.  I was to bring her back to my parents’ home so the people that had bought her could pick her up.  I made it to the pen and there she was.  Her breath showing in the cold air, and she greeted me with her welcoming call.  I felt the tears flowing harder.

                She had a big bow across her back and one around her neck.  Whoever was going to get her was getting a great friend.  I walked into the pen, wrapped a rope around her neck, walked her to the fence and vaulted onto her, no bridle, no saddle; just me, the horse and my string.  I rode out of the pen, my shaking hand on her neck and walked her back to my parents’ house.  They were out in the yard, looking sad.  I was still crying, hard, for I knew I would be saying goodbye very soon.  We could not afford her, for my family had just been married the year before and had just bought a house.  Horses are expensive and a lot of work, and I knew that.

                I went to go get off of her, and my mom stood on one side, my dad on the other and looked at my tearful face.  Then they smiled.  I could not figure out why.  “Merry Christmas,” they yelled in unison.  I was in shock.  “What?”  I asked them, not knowing if I had heard them right.  “Merry Christmas,” they said again.  I started crying harder, hugging the big animal around the neck, my head buried in her mane.  These were different tears and for another reason.  I was getting to keep my friend and she was going to be mine.  Goldie started prancing, like she knew what was going on, and she let out a loud whiney. 

                My dad helped me get down off of the horse and told me to go in the house.  I didn’t want to leave Godlie’s side but Santa had come.  Mom had some time earlier snuck back in the house and was waiting on me.  And sitting on a bean bag was a saddle, blanket, and a bridle.  I squealed in excitement running to sit on the saddle.  It was the one I had learned how to ride in.  I was excited.  I grabbed the saddle and it was heavy and almost as big as I was.  I dragged it out of the house, the stirrups hitting the ground.  I set it on the porch and ran back into the house to get the rest of the tack so I could ride my horse on Christmas.  I saddled her up, got on her, and rode her around the yard, excited and happy. 

o    After Christmas, we built a horse pen and a stall and moved her into the front yard.  When I would get home from school I would grab a lawn chair and go sit out in the pen and do my homework, my friend eating the grass around me.  We lived in the middle of nowhere so I had no other kids my age to play with, so my horse was my life.  If I could, I think I would have slept in that pen with her. 

                In 1998, I got an invite to come to a horse show.  I had my eyes opened to abuse.  My horse was excited after the show was over.  I didn’t want to put her back on the trailer but the people that had trailered her for me wanted to go ahead and load her up.  They acted like I didn’t know what I was doing.  It hurt.  What was worse was what they put my friend through.  She fought them.  It took six grown men, three ties, two whips and a twitch to get her on that trailer.  To this day, I still have trouble getting her to trailer just because of that bad memory, but she trusts me.

                In 2000, I got invited to a race.  I was excited, though I did not plan on entering.  I just wanted to watch.  Someone paid my entrance fee anyway and I raced.  I took home first place, a big ribbon for the horse and a belt buckle for me.  I raced twelve more times, winning each time.  In 2004, I had an accident and almost lost my life falling off of my friend.  I still ride her but I no longer race. 

                Now, being the year of 2010, my friend is going grey.  She has gotten older, now sitting at twenty-eight years old.  It is sad to watch her.  She will start to run, take a few jogging steps and slow back into a walk.  I know one day I will lose my friend.  But, I am thankful for that Christmas and those tears I cried, for that is a year I will never forget, that is the year my life changed.

 

 

© 2010 Analae


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

335 Views
Added on June 4, 2010
Last Updated on June 4, 2010

Author

Analae
Analae

Sumter, SC



About
I love to write. I have a lot of new ideas and have found a few of my ideas to have taken a darker turn. I have moved from doing poetry to doing more along the story lines. I have been updating a l.. more..

Writing
Break Break

A Chapter by Analae


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Analae