The Goatman is real

The Goatman is real

A Story by Andrew (MJ) Nugteren
"

Written originally by n.v.us

"

This is a short, but terrifyingly true, experience that occurred when I was about eleven twelve years old.

I grew up on a Navajo reservation in Utah. Often, the older guys would go out to a nearby bluff to camp out. I was never allowed to go with them �" They were grown ups, my mother would tell me. I was just too young.

But the older I grew, the more I wanted to go with them. So, one night, I snuck out and followed them out there. It was maybe a thirty minute walk out, and it took everything I had to be quiet enough to not get caught.

After an excruciating walk, we made it to the bluff. It was beautiful at night. I had never been there after dark. There had to have been thousands of stars in the sky. It’s crazy how different and beautiful everything seemed to be merely a half hour away from my home.

Well, now that I was there, and the guys were setting up tent, I honestly had no idea what to do. I never thought about it �" Did I really expect to just wait out here all night and sleep in the nearby woods? So, I decided, once they had settled in, I’d make myself known and face the repercussions in the morning.

I heard a twig snap behind me. My heart pounded and I turned to face whatever was there.

It was my older brother.

“I was just �" I wanted to �" ” I stammered for an excuse.

“Sssshhhh.” He shushed me with a weird smile on his face.

I turned back toward the group in front of me. My brothers friends were putting together a campfire, and my brother was pitching the tent.

Wait.

My older brother was setting up the tent, but he was also behind me? I immediately turned around. My brother �" no, this impersonator �" was now beside me, standing over the bushes as if he didn’t care if the others saw him. He stared at the campsite.

I was too afraid to move or scream. I sat there, waiting and hoping this thing would go away. He was so close �" Who knows what might have happened if I would have yelled for my real brother.

I don’t know why I glanced at his feet, but that’s when I couldn’t help but jump backward, away from the demon before me.

He didn’t have feet. He had hooves like a goat. I had heard stories of skinwalkers, even stories of the goatman. I thought they were just that �" Stories. But that night on my back on the ground, tears welling up in my eyes, I stared at a being that wasn’t my brother, nor was it human.

I got up and ran harder than I could, not caring whether that thing chased me or not.

I ran until I gripped my older brother’s waist in a tight hug. I could feel the guys’ eyes on me, but at least I was away from that thing. They knew I was scared. I could hear them asking me why I was crying instead of wondering why I wasn’t at home.

They drove me home that night and never ratted me out. I never spoke of the night, not even with my brother. No one would believe me anyway.

But, even so, after all these years, I still can’t help but wince whenever my brother smiles at me.

© 2016 Andrew (MJ) Nugteren


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A interesting tale. I like the story line and the characters. You create danger and mystery. I like the open ending. The memory no forgotten yet. Thank you for sharing the excellent tale.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Andrew (MJ) Nugteren

7 Years Ago

Even tho I didn't write it but I'm glad you liked it
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I did enjoy the tale my friend.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 15, 2016
Last Updated on June 15, 2016

Author

Andrew (MJ) Nugteren
Andrew (MJ) Nugteren

Crystal Beach, CA



About
Hey,I'm Andrew Nugteren (People Call me Michael Jackson)! I'm 18 years old! I like to read Fan fiction books and I like writing poems. I enjoy comic books, and hanging out with my friends. I have a do.. more..

Writing