Je Suis Nombril  (I am bellybutton)

Je Suis Nombril (I am bellybutton)

A Story by Stan Lee

Je Suis Nombril

 

It’s a grey August day and I am standing by a soft mound of dirt. Around me are a  handful of friends, dressed in black, and a Pastor. They gently pat my arm and walk away to their cars. The deed has been done. My mother has been buried and the ritual is over. No, I correct myself, not my mother; my mother’s body. As I stand there alone with a cold wind whistling around my collar, I recall a phrase that has not passed my mind in many years. “Je suis nombril.”


I had been teaching sixth grade when I first met Jean Marc. A fine young French boy; his father had emigrated back to Australia after his Parisian wife tragically passed away from pancreatic cancer. Being fairly confident in speaking French myself, I had the pleasure of welcoming Jean Marc into my class.


I have always been able to clearly remember his first day. When asked to introduce himself to the class Jean Marc stood up and proudly proclaimed, “Je suis Nombril.” I chuckled to myself, thinking it a joke, but when I asked him to speak in English he simply said, “I am Nombril.” Not wanting to argue with the child on his first day, I let the matter pass and "Nombril” stuck. As far as I recall he was called Nombril for at least the duration of his being in my class.


Now standing in a deserted cemetery a scene unfolds in my mind.


My curiosity had gotten the better of me one day, and I pulled Nombril aside. “Nombril,” I asked, “Why do you call yourself Nombril? You know it means bellybutton don’t you?”


Nombril stood up straight and his dark eyes became instantly sober. "It is for my mother." He paused for some time choosing his English words carefully. “I am attached to my mother,” he said gesturing to his navel. “I am cut off from my mother.”


I had wanted to ask more questions but I knew I was treading on sacred ground, therefore I smiled and dismissed the boy with no further comment.


It’s only now some fifteen years later as I stand by my mother’s grave, deep in contemplative thought, that I finally start to understand the meaning of these words. “Je Suis Nombril.”

 

****

© 2016 Stan Lee


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Stan Lee
Appreciate ANY comments

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is simply beautiful. This bond. And the way you've depicted it. Thank you for this amazing story! :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thank you Vernika! I'm happy that you liked my story and the special bond it depicts. :) Thank you!!.. read more
Vernika

7 Years Ago

You're very welcome! :)
Thank you for a good piece of writing; it taught me something new, and it did through the experience of a child that continued with the experience of the author.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading my story Kuro. :)
This is a very unique, thought-provoking, and touching story. Very original idea with the bellybutton - and yet, at the same time, it's something we can all relate to. The story itself is very well-written, with a nicely balanced and fluid interplay between the present scene and the memories. Just one thing - I think you mean "Australia" instead of "Australian" in the second paragraph. :) Overall, I highly enjoyed reading this. Very nicely done!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

7 Years Ago

You're right. Thanks for pointing that out AliciaB. I have fixed it now. Thank you very much for rea.. read more
AliciaB

7 Years Ago

You're welcome! :)
Superb writing and a very profound thought. I have just been to my father in laws funeral which I think will inspire some writing. As a racist he married a Moslem lady who insisted against his own wishes and his family that he was buried as a moslem.
Again, well done.
Alan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks for reading and reviewing my story Alan.
This story was quite arresting, not only for the twist at the end, but for the philosophical musing on the nature and origin of belly buttons. They don't call it navel gazing for nothing, eh? (Ohhhhh, snap!)
Seriously, good story.
z.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Many thanks z. Thanks for your insightful comments on navel gazing. ;) I'm happy to hear that you en.. read more
Zugzwang

8 Years Ago

No sweat, I enjoyed reading it.
A masterpiece. You are such a wise young woman. I don't think it matters whether you are 9, 19 or 90, the death of one's mother really does leave one feeling bereft in the world, the tether severed. You have encapsulated this profound truth so directly and with such exquisite impact. My only suggestion is to look at your repetition of ""standing" in the first two sentences. Marvelous job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thanks Taylor! Now that you say it, I see what you mean. Definitely will have to revisit the situati.. read more
how a word meaning changes over the circumstances, in this case it changes 15 years later. great story easy to read, straight forward

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and reviewing. Glad you liked it.
This is a touching story.
"(a least) the duration of his being in my class."
Mothers are the most special people.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Quite often, why do you ask? :)
mattavelli

8 Years Ago

I noticed the theme in a few of your stories. Do you ever play out scenarios in your head, which lea.. read more
Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

:)






Do you always ask interesting questions i.. read more
Oh my. I am glad to have had this one brought to my attention. Besides the subject matter, which was extremely touching, I found it extremely engaging and easy to read. Beautiful!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Many, many thanks S.Mi. I do appreciate you taking the time to read and leave such a lovely review. .. read more
unusual name but good little story, Mademoiselle.

we are all nombrils, I suppose. this brings out the importance of the Mother and that's what makes this story appealing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

Merci beaucoup Woody! Your review is spot on. I'm glad you liked it, even with an unusual name. ;) <.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1357 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 9, 2016
Last Updated on July 26, 2016

Author

Stan Lee
Stan Lee

About
I've turned RRs off for now because I'm really behind. I have 50 to do! Hope to get to them... eventually :) “If only you could sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; ho.. more..

Writing
The Companion The Companion

A Story by Stan Lee