VSR1 - The Vampire

VSR1 - The Vampire

A Screenplay by Anthony Hart-Jones
"

Written some time in 2001 or so, back when I had access to student film-makers and lots of student actors. It's not great, but it still strikes me as something I should rework one day.

"

VSR

By Anthony Hart-Jones

1 INT. DAY 1

The room is pretty empty. In fact, it is very empty. We see a nervous reporter, or perhaps a writer, sitting at a table. He is setting up his equipment, a small cassette recorder and a pen + pad.

This is STEVE.

Also at the table is NATASHA. She sits bolt upright and is a bit pale. She is a vampire, possibly. She claims to be one at any rate. Despite the weather, she wears sunglasses.

NATASHA

(bad Romanian accent)

My name is Natalyia Ulyanov and I was born in the 19th century. You may not think it to look at me, but I am dead and have been for many years.

STEVE

(writing furiously)

Really? You must have seen a few things in that time.

NATASHA

A few.

(a pause)

Would you like me to elaborate?

STEVE

(without looking up)

Please, if that's okay with you.

STEVE writes every word as he hears it, probably not even thinking about what NATASHA is telling him.

NATASHA

Of course, vampires really come from Mars. It takes a lot of make up to cover our green skin, which is why we look so pale.

STEVE

(it seems he is about to say something)

Mars, fourth planet out from the Sun?

NATASHA

Yes, you know it?

STEVE doesn't answer. In fact, STEVE just writes.

NATASHA seems to grow a little impatient. NATASHA grabs the notepad and throws it over her shoulder. STEVE looks up, as though realising that he is being spoken to.

STEVE

I'm sorry?

NATASHA

(her accent is suddenly English )

That's good to hear. Can we start again? I will talk, you will listen and the tape will record it for later. Okay?

STEVE reaches for the cassette-recorder and checks the cassette.

STEVE

Okay.

NATASHA

My name is Natasha. I am not ancient, in fact I am about as old as I look. I will not live forever, but I might outlive your children.

STEVE

Children? I don't have any children.

NATASHA

(sighs, slightly exasperated)

It doesn't matter, I was just making a point. While most of the myths are simply myths, some have a basis in fact.

STEVE

Such as?

NATASHA

As I said, I'll live longer than most women. Vampires aren't immortal, we just age slower than you.

STEVE

I thought you said you weren't older than you looked.

NATASHA

Personally, I'm not. I've only been a vampire for a year or so.

STEVE

What about the other myths?

NATASHA

As you can see, sunlight doesn't kill me. It just hurts my eyes.

STEVE

I was going to ask about the sunglasses...

NATASHA

That would be the second thing; vampires are not immune to hangovers.

Whatever STEVE was expecting, that wasn't it. For a second, just a split-second, he is thrown. The moment passes and he continues.

STEVE

You drink?

NATASHA

A lot of people drink, some of them normal human beings.

CUT TO:

2 EXT. DAY 2

From our low angle, we see the bottom half of a car-door on the driver's side. The door opens and a boot descends to the gravel on the ground. The boot is attached to a leg that is clothed in black leather.

CUT TO:

3 INT. DAY 3

STEVE

How about churches?

NATASHA

What about them? I quite like churches. Some of them are very nice buildings.

STEVE

(growing confident)

Holy water and crosses hold no fear then?

NATASHA

Well, I don't like crazy people throwing water at me, but I wouldn't consider it life-threatening.

CUT TO:

4 EXT. DAY 4

This time, we see the back of the car. The mysterious figure can now be seen from behind. A long leather coat covers the

stranger. When we see a hand, we can assume that it is a man. As the car-boot opens, he takes out a sword. He means business by the look of it, perhaps a sabre or a katana. In other words, a hacking blade.

CUT TO:

5 INT. DAY 5

STEVE

So how can you die?

NATASHA

How can you die?

STEVE

What do you mean?

NATASHA

You can get ill and die, so can I. If you lose too much blood, you die. So do I. I can even be killed by cancer or getting shot. The difference is, I would last longer than you.

STEVE

You heal faster, like in the legends?

NATASHA

Near enough. We have another little treat though, people who take it upon themselves to kill vampires for the good of humanity.

STEVE

Vampire slayers?

NATASHA

They were around many years before Buffy, but that is the general idea.

CUT TO:

6 EXT. FOOTPATH 6

We see the stranger walking along. Again, the camera cannot see much above the shoulder-blades.

What we see is that he carries the sword openly, with no attempt to hide it. If anyone sees him, they react accordingly. The scene is chilling, as he shows no fear of intervention.

CUT TO:

7 INT. DAY 7

STEVE

So they hunt vampires?

NATASHA

Why do you think you've never met of us before?

STEVE

How would I know if I had?

NATASHA

(she is slightly amused)

You're catching on. We hardly broadcast our existence. At best, we would be ridiculed.

STEVE

And at worst...

He doesn't finish the sentence. If he had, it would have been along the lines of 'the men in white coats come and get you.'

NATASHA

Precisely.

CUT TO:

8 EXT. FOOTPATH 8

It is a different path, but the stranger is still walking. He still carries his sword proudly and people have taken the chance to move away from him. The path is deserted now.

CUT TO:

9 INT. DAY 9

STEVE

Have you ever met one of these hunters?

NATASHA

Once.

The brevity of this answer comes as some surprise.

STEVE

Do you want to tell me about it?

NATASHA

No.

All the force in the phrase is implied. She is so sure of the answer that she need not tell STEVE not to pursue the topic.

STEVE

How does garlic affect you?

NATASHA

I don't think it does. It does nothing for my breath but isn't that true of all of us?

CUT TO:

10 EXT. DOORWAY 10

The stranger opens the door and steps inside. Nothing is said but we sense a conclusion approaching.

CUT TO:

11 INT. DAY 11

STEVE

So what is so special about being a vampire? Mind control? Turning into a bat?

NATASHA

I am told I am quite alluring, but I put that down to good dress-sense. Other than that, I also heal quite well and I suppose my senses are a little sharper. It is probably why we are so sensitive to sunlight.

STEVE nods, seeming genuine.

STEVE

You'd know better than me.

NATASHA looks as though she has just seen a ghost.

NATASHA

Time for your exclusive...

NATASHA reaches down and produces a weapon. Sword, gun, knife. It doesn't matter really. STEVE reacts, thinking his subject has just advanced from nutter to psychopath.

The door bursts open and the stranger is there, clutching the sword. STEVE is terrified.

HUNTER

(accent is Irish or RP)

Your time is come, leech. Make your

peace if any part of you still recognises that which is holy.

NATASHA

So now you try and kill me?

STEVE gets out of the way, in a corner or behind something.

HUNTER

Aye. You chose to become what are now.

NATASHA

Yes, but so did you.

For a second, he seems to consider this and then nods.

SNAP TO BLACK:

FADE IN ON A DOOR:

To be precise, the other side of the door that we just saw the HUNTER use. The HUNTER stands in front of it, wiping blood from the blade of his sword. His face is neither happy nor sad. He does not look proud of his action, but perhaps a little relieved to have them over and done with.

© 2013 Anthony Hart-Jones


Author's Note

Anthony Hart-Jones
Try to ignore the formatting, it's the result of the program I used and fiddling with it seems to make Chrome crash.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this screenplay. The dialogue between Natasha and Steve was well written. You paint full characters in a short amount of time. Ther's a nice mystery going on about Natasha, we're not sure if we can take her seriously. I like how you break up the story by cutting to the hunter, getting ready, getting closer. I would have liked to see the hunter and Steve exchange a few words at the end, would have made for a more satisfying ending perhaps. Just a thought! Anyway, good job, and thanks for sharing! 2nd prize! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 12, 2013
Last Updated on January 12, 2013
Tags: vampire, VSR, interview