Phoenix Element: Normality Twisted | Snippet of Chapter One

Phoenix Element: Normality Twisted | Snippet of Chapter One

A Chapter by Next Jen
"

Here's a piece from the end of chapter one.

"

Without saying a word, I begin to climb the ladder. No matter what is going on, Kyle is right about Miles. The ladder begins to shake as I near the top, a combination of me freaking out and the rumble from the footsteps. I pull myself up into the ceiling and look down at Kyle. “Come on.”

            Instead, Kyle knocks down the ladder and walks out of the store.

            “Yea, I’m pretty sure this is one of my crazy dreams,” I say more to myself as we head up to the roof of the mall.

            "I don't think it is, this feels too real," Miles slowly says.

            Once up on the roof, I walk over to a section of windows. Part of the mall's look is that there are windows in the ceiling. Helps to see when it is raining or not. Looking down I can see Kyle. While people are still rushing to steal and escape the mall, Kyle walks in the opposite direction.

             “Alright, you want to do this?” Kyle yells out as he walks. The footsteps stop, as do the rumbling of the steps. Now not  twenty feet away from Kyle stand three robots. He cracks his knuckles. The robots all share the same high tech medieval armor look, grey in color and their mouths and eyes are just slits on their faces. Empty, soulless creatures programmable to do their owner's bidding. Oh great, now my imagination is running wild during this chaos.

            Kyle breaks into a run, heading towards the three robots. They begin to fire off beams of energy and instead of ducking, Kyle takes flight, weaving in and out of the three separate beams. He files past them, turns around and shoots electricity from his finger tips while hovering. Pushing off the air with his foot, he heads towards them again, this time when he reaches range, he kicks one in the chin, a kick to the side of the face of the second one and then he places his feet on the ground and delivers several punches in the mid section of the third before finally high kicking it in the face. A bright yellow light begins to form around Kyle's hands as he places them together. He hovers slightly above the ground, flying backwards now, his eyes never leaving the three large robots. The light shines brighter as a ball of energy begins to grow larger and larger until it’s powerful enough to be thrown towards the robots, causing a massive explosion.

            One of the robots must have gotten away from the blast as it breaks through the glass and ends up on the roof. I start to back up quickly, grabbing Miles as we try to widen the gap between us and the robot.

             “Please tell me this is just one freakish dream.” It begins to walk towards us; each step is a loud boom. I continue to step back, until my foot touches nothing, we've reached the end of the roof.

            "Target acquired," the robot says.

            "The what?" I stammer out.

            Kyle reaches the roof from the same hole as the robot, which is utterly impossible.

            "You need to jump!" he yells out to us.

            "Are you nuts?"

            "I'll catch you!" Kyle then starts pressing buttons on a leather band on his wrist. He looks up from the watch, I assume it's a watch, and repeats, "Now would be good."

            "We're not jumping."

            "Establishing connection," the robot speaks up again.

            "Either you jump or this robot takes you to a place that you don't want to go."

            I grip Miles' hand tighter.

            "Connection established."

            "Oh for the love of--" Kyle starts to run towards us and like before, his feet leaves the ground, flying past the robot and towards Miles and I, pushing us off of the roof.



© 2013 Next Jen


Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

honestly babe, the action was reveting although i (and many other readers) would appreciate it if this was written in the past tense.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Next Jen

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I've thought about changing the story to the past tense b.. read more
Jamal

10 Years Ago

btw can you check out my story it's called Children of the Comet, I recently made some changes to it.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1568 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 18, 2013
Last Updated on July 18, 2013
Tags: phoenix element, normality twisted, chapter one, book, book series, fantasy book series, young adult


Author

Next Jen
Next Jen

Coral Springs, FL



About
Jennifer Kibble was born and raised in a South Florida trailer park rife with drugs, gangs, and sex. Finding an escape through both video games and writing, Jen began to write stories at an early age,.. more..

Writing