The White Dress

The White Dress

A Story by SilentVoice
"

This was a school thing I had to do but let me know what you think.

"

The dress swayed on the back of the door of the dark, rickety wardrobe. It was white. So white that the sun’s rays, which filtered through the shabby, stained curtains, bounced off it. It lit up the dark room where she sat, on an old mattress with springs poking out through the fabric. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls revealing a rough, grey effort of a wall.

She stared at the dress as it swayed. Along with the clock’s ticks and its tocks, both were in tune. The silence was eerie; you would hear a pin drop. But all there was to be heard was tick-tock-tick-tock.

Outside the fogged, cracked window the busy street was to be heard. Later it began to become a quiet murmur of noises in the distance. She watched the street-lights flicker wildly before lighting up the, now, quiet streets below. Darkness had fallen. It crept up so fast. The moon was full. It was like a giant glowing ball to the young girl. She called it ‘night’s sun’.

A distant howl could be heard. The young girl wandered back to the bedside. The dress continued swaying, still with the rhythm of the clock.

Her Communion day was a lonely one. Today was supposed to be an event of happiness and joy but she just sat there. She felt safe but knew it was going to happen soon.

The moon was at its highest peak and brighter than ever. Her father was down in the sitting-room, glued to the armchair, watching television. He had a can of beer in one hand and a half burnt cigar in the other.

The change then happened. She could hear cries coming from the sitting-room. She rushed to lock the door of her room and hid in a corner.

Her head was held between her knees and she began to pray, asking God for forgiveness and protection.

She could hear glasses being smashed and items being thrown across the room.

The dress still continued swaying gracefully. But then it suddenly stopped.

The door was thrown across the room, ripped off its hinges. The silence came back but this time it wasn’t peaceful, it was tormenting and cruel.

A large black wolf with wild green eyes stood before her. It was now growling, bearing its long, blood-stained teeth.

In the blink of an eye, she was tossed like a rag-doll across the room. She fell against the wardrobe, smacking her head. Blood splattered up on the wardrobe and stained the dress.

The dress began to sway. . . .

 

THE END

© 2014 SilentVoice


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thanks I'm glad you liked it :)


Posted 10 Years Ago


i loved the end its really good

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 11, 2014
Last Updated on March 11, 2014

Author

SilentVoice
SilentVoice

Ireland



About
Hi, I'm Aoife Guilfoyle and i;m Irish. I think it is great that I can share my writing with other people online. Well, it's better than having it in the tattered notebook I keep by my bedside :D. I u.. more..

Writing
Luck Luck

A Poem by SilentVoice