Raven and Hammer: Last Test

Raven and Hammer: Last Test

A Story by Arctic Fox
"

The sky is the limit!

"

The drums beats resounded through the air. The horns let out their notes upon the winds. Every Island would hear the call. Two new warriors was about to be born. Not just any warriors, but Blue Wings. Some of the deadliest warriors on the field of war. A fighter with strength, speed, endurance, courage, and intellect. Their white breast plates with their blue wings spread across the front brought awe and fear to their enemies. They were masters of their chosen weapons and they each had the choice of any weapon. They were not bound by their units like other warriors to wield what was decided for them. They spent days carefully studying each weapon until they had chosen.

The banners flapped in the wind as the people of the largest island, Isladel, prepared for the festivals that would follow for the entire month. The people were known as Aeronians as their islands were not surrounded by water, but by sky and clouds. Their islands floated high above the world below them. Their boat had sails on the top and the sides to take full advantage of the winds of their home.

The Aero Islands were a cluster of nine islands anchored to one another by metal tether lines as thick as a man’s waists. Isladel was the capital of the islands and held the governing body, the Council of Nine. Each Island had a representative and the Representative with the most time on the council was considered the head of government. He or she was the Grand Senator. Each island also had a governing body for their own island known as the Wind Council and the number of senators varied from island to island.

Seladonna was the island of gardens. The Aeronians there grew many types of plants and farmed for the whole of the nine islands. Being the second largest island it contains the vital resources that sustains the other eight.

Thelanonia, the third largest island bred livestock for the other islands. They were of course the only island that bred and trained Vrail. The flying mounts of the Silver Wings, who were almost as feared and adored as the Blue Wings. Vrail were four-legged beasts with fur. They had massive wings that outstretched were as long as two men together were tall. They had broad heads with two little ears. They closely resembled giant winged dogs. They might be called cute by some if not for they size and weapons. They were as tall as a horse with beautiful diamond claws. What made them dangerous were the razor sharp, curved blade-like protrusions at the end of the tails.

Zaron was the fourth largest island with the only mountain. The grew ores that were used in the making of everything from the tether lines and armor to the nails for building and utensils for eating.

Kend was ranked fifth in the islands. While you did business on Isladel, you played on Kend. Their more famous forms of entertainment was their triball games. A diamond shaped field is divided in half. At each end is a pyramid net goal with a face open. Plays take the sphere and try to get it into the goal. They can not drop the ball; if they do the other team recovers it.

The sixth Island is Ter. Ter is a quiet island whose inhabitants are mostly weavers, builders, and crafts people. Ter is beautiful like Seladonna, but due to its size it is shadowed by the enormity of Seladonna’s own gardens.

On the seventh island, Gryd, one would find a rich treasure trove of precious crystals. They would be rich if the crystals didn’t grow back. There are crystals used all over the island for a variety of functions. The crystals also serve as the chief export to the main land below.

The eighth island, Fonliss, houses the academy that all students study at from ages five to thirteen. At thirteen all children must pick a job and often times they find their training is done on Fonliss in the academy they spent their childhood.

The smallest Island is the crown jewel of all the nine islands. On Esternshire the float stones are grown. It is because of the float stones that the boats fly as well as why the islands remain perched in sky.

A young, Seladonna girl and a young Zaron boy both sit on the edge of Esternshire. They are not afraid of falling. They fear nothing, for they believe in nothing that needs fearing. It is here that our story begins.

Raven kicked her feet. Her long dark hair tossed by the wind. She was athletic as her body showed, but she was still lacking in an area that girl had often picked on her for. Not that she didn’t have any, they just weren’t as big as most Seladonna girls. They would not say such things ever again. Raven thought as she looked down at the tattoo on her wrist that wrapped up her arm. The tattoo was a pattern in an ancient tribal fashion that all Blue Wings wore. The boy next to her had one as well.

“Three years out of the Academy and already Blue Wings, Hammer,” Raven said to her companion. Hammer was like all Zaron boys. He was built broad, tall, and incredibly strong. He was quiet for a Zaron boy though. He was an outcast like Raven. That was the reason they chose to fight for Blue Wing slots. It was the reason they were so close.

“I think we need to start the last test. We have proved we can fight like Blue Wings, but we need to show them we can act like Blue Wings,” Hammer said in his whisper-tone. Raven nodded and giggled. Blue Wings only had to be cold-hearted, uncaring killing machines on the battlefield. Most were rather pleasant on the islands.

Hammer help Raven to her feet. They were dressed in white robes of a simple make. They carried no weapons on them either. They had to travel to each island and collect a gift. They could not ask for one, they had to be given them of the villagers own free will.

They walked into the main part of the village where the elder wind council senator sat next to the large float stone that served as their villages centerpiece. They greeted him saying they were travelers. He knew better, but he acknowledged them as such.

“Do you like our small island,” the man asked.

“It is the most important island of all,” Raven giggled, “It holds up all the islands even though it is so small.”

“For that reason it could be called great instead of small,” hammer chimed in.

“It is a pleasant place, but it is just as important as any other island. They are all equal. Because of the tether lines; think of the islands as one big island instead of nine individual islands,” the elderly man replied with a wry smile. The two Blue Wings looked slightly ashamed and wonder filled by the man’s wise words.

“Take these as a gift from us to you. Remember my words young ones for the safety of all Aeronians rest with you,” the senator said as he handed each a pair of anklets made from float stone, “You two will be the only ones to have such a gift as these. With them your steps will be lighter and you will jump to heights you never have seen before. The winds be with you!”

As the duo crossed the bridge from Esternshire to Fonliss the academy headmaster met them at the bridge. He was a balding old scholar with a quick wit and a fun loving sense of humor. He was beloved by his students.

“Ah Serena, Benjamin. I forgot to give these to you when you graduated. Take these journals and record a rich history for yourselves. Be on you way now children,” the headmaster said as he turned and walked away before they could thank him.

“Well that was easy,” Raven said. When Hammer didn’t respond she looked over at him. He had tears in his eyes. He loved to read books. Books where plentiful on the islands. The mainlanders loved trading books for crystals. Paper was not so plentiful. It was mostly used by the government. People sent runners to deliver verbal messages. To have your own journal was a great gift. Raven didn’t know how to respond so when Hammer wiped his eyes, squared his shoulders, and set his gaze forward Raven got on her tip toes and lightly kissed his cheek.

They moved on to Gryd’s bridge. Upon their arrival the whole village was in a fuss. When asked about the problem one village brought the two companions to the town center. One of the men of the village was trapped in house that collapsed while being built. The townsmen were franticly digging him out. Raven began assisting them until Hammer stepped forward and lightly nudged her back. Raven stepped aside as the other men looked toward Hammer. With one mighty groan he lifted the collapsed roof allowing the men to go underneath and retrieve their fellow villager.

“Your such a show off Hammer,” Raven teased. As a gift they both received a crystal pendant for their services.

Having a third of their gifts in one day they moved onto Ter. They had three days to gather the items and make it to Isladel. Not having a place to stay, they rolled out their bedding underneath a nearby tree. A young woman strode up to them.

“Your not going to sleep outside are you,” she asked. She had long blonde hair and blue eyes. She smiled at Hammer and Raven instantly hated her. Her swallowed down her annoyance as any Blue Wing should and politely responded with a nod.

The girl allowed them to stay at her house. Raven assisted the young women with dinner while Hammer cut her some logs for her fireplace. Her cut her enough for the whole year, but she wouldn’t find that out till later. A shirtless hammer and Raven ate their supper with the girl and slept on the floor that night in her home. Raven curled close to Hammer. She was surprised when he did something he hadn’t before. He curled an arm around her and drug her closer.

The next morning the girl gave them each a blue hooded cloak. They fit perfectly, almost like they were sized for them. The Blue Wings had of course had their measurements sent on when the girl requested to be the gift bearer, but the duo were unaware of the tradition. The girl who housed them had been the daughter of a Blue Wing.

They took a wind boat to Kend where they competed in a triball game for fun when a team came to them lacking two players. They were happy to play in front to the huge crowd. Raven loved the attention and Hammer loved the game. The team captain met them afterwards.

“Thanks for your help. The only thing Kend people love more than Triball is music. Take these flute and learn them. It is a fun way to pass the time. Besides I can’t play much since a triball player here is like a celebrity,” he said with a laugh.

“Thank you,” Raven and Hammer said in unison.

Waiting for them at Zaron was none other than Hammer’s father.

“Welcome home son. I heard your training went well, but they did not tell me what slot you got. Either way you have made me proud and I know you will be a fine Zaron born warrior. I made you and your girlfriend a present,” Raven blushed when hammer’s dad said girlfriend, “These daggers are the finest my smiths have ever made. The have blue sheaths and blue leather. I like the color and I figured you would two. It is a silver blade to complement the blue color.”

“I will carry it with pride,” Hammer bellow slamming his fist to his chest as was the Zaron gesture for strength and good will. Raven jumped at the loud deep throated yell Hammer gave out and imitated his best she could.

“Good job little one,” Hammer’s father said tousling Raven’s hair, “be off with you now son. You have a way’s to go yet.”

“Your father is the…,” Raven began.

“Master smith, yes,” Hammer said then dropped the point.

Thelanonia was the next stop on their journey. Raven had to assist in delivering a cow calf which she did not enjoy, but neither did she complain about the mess. She held her tongue and helped best she could much to Hammer’s amusement until he was called in to help. They were given Vrail Claws as souvenirs of their time spent covered in cow fluids.

They spent much of the afternoon flying to Seladonna. Raven dreaded her reunion. She had been happy living in the barracks. She loved her home, just not the people. When they touched down she put on a fake smile and stepped of the boat launch and into the main garden. Hundreds of Seladonna girls were tending the garden, while several boys tended the trees.

“Young Serena. Welcome home. Did you enjoy learning a man’s job,” a voice called from behind them. It was Hammer’s turn to have instant hatred. He planted himself firmly in front of Raven.

“You ill of a soldier! You have no pride or honor. Women fight just as hard as the men in the Aero Army,” said with no small amount of heat in his voice.

“I spoke too harshly. Pardon me madam warrior. Take these Seladoona wooden staves and be off with you. I never liked you Serena, but I do respect you,” The women said. She had short brown hair and a petite frame. Each staff was of spiraling and twisting wood, Seladonna wood.

They rested the night in an inn in Isladel and when they awoke two circular disks made of stone rested by each of their beds. A gift for staying in Isladel the note read. The seals had white twin spirals of the Aeronians.

The two warriors grabbed their gifts and walked to the capital center where the Blue Wings stood in ranks. The commander stood at a raised dais. They brought their gifts to him and recounted their tale. A crowd was gathering quickly. The gift bearers were at the fore of the crowd.

“Cease the drum beat of trial and beat the song of victory! We have two new Blue wings,” the commander called out as the drums changed beat and the crowd cheered, “Serena, known as Raven. I bestow on you the armor of a Blue Wing and present to you your weapon of choice, the fighting daggers. Benjamin, known as Hammer. I bestow on you the armor of a Blue Wing and present to you your weapon of choice, the war hammer. Two you two vow to uphold the ideals of the Blue Wings and accept the terms and conditions that your service requires.

“I do,” Raven and Hammer said.

“On this day Raven and Hammer shall join the ranks of the Blue Wings,” the commander bellowed. The ranks of the Blue Wings began to chant their war chant and beat their breastplates or shield.

“Hammer,” Raven said.

“Yes Raven,” Hammer asked.

“I love you,” Raven said with a blush.

Hammer hugged her and laughed, “I love you too girl.”

© 2010 Arctic Fox


Author's Note

Arctic Fox
Had to keep it under 3000 words for a group, but could have gone into greater detail. might still later.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It was cute, endearing, and descriptive. It is a great piece of art.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting. I wish you wrote more, I was totally hooked.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, this story really gripped me. I enjoyed reading this a lot, and I found it extremely interesting ^^ I'd gladly read more

Posted 13 Years Ago


I was defiantly hooked after the first paragraph. I don't usually read short stories but I enjoyed trying something new. Of course, a few grammar errors, but all in all it was great. I liked how you made a small adventure be so interesting to read. Keep it up :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, this is really good. Unique as well, I don't think I've read anything like it. There were few very minor grammar mistakes and I thought the Serena=Raven and Benjamin=Hammer to be slightly confusing at first, although it was cleared up just fine nearer the end. But otherwise I thought it was perfect. I'd love to read more as well!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Loved this!! Definitely would read more on Raven and Hammer :) :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


nice. pretty interesting.

I rate thee 100!

p.s. sorry i suck at reviewing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I enjoyed this story. Definitely worth revisitng for more accounts of Raven and Hammer's adventures.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, nice story!! haha, i really enjoyed reading the parts about the different islands, it was interesting! There were some small spelling mistakes like two/too or he/her. This kinda reminded me of The Hunger Games, a series I really like.
So I have to say, I really liked reading this!!
Good job!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

502 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 16, 2010
Last Updated on July 13, 2010
Tags: Isladel, blue wing, floating isadel, sky

Author

Arctic Fox
Arctic Fox

LA



About
I am the youngest of three. I was born in 1991. I love to read, write, and help others. Want to know more, just ask. I will answer any question no matter what it is with a 100% honest answer. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..