Desire

Desire

A Story by Devashish Kumar
"

This is a story of a boy who leaves his mother in order 'to be with the stars.'

"
I was born to a very poor family who couldn't afford even a square meal a day. My father was a drunkard. He used to spend all the money he had got and even my mother's money on drinking and gambling . When she would ask him to work or refuse to give him the money she had gathered by working in other households, he would beat her. I used to pity my mother for she had to work so hard, but she could not get even a minute of compassion. Scoldings of her masters, husband and those who were beaten by her husband were all she got. When I would sleep under the open sky alongside my mother, I used to admire the tiny sparkling creatures in the sky. They seemed so happy. My mother seemed to have accepted this life. But I could not accept this kind of life for me. I wanted to be with those stars. I wanted to be happy as them.I wanted to shine like them. So, on one fine day I left the home. For they say it is not your mistake if you are born poor, but it is certainly your mistake if you die poor. I could not tell my mother because I knew she would not let me go.

© 2015 Devashish Kumar


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well written story. Thank you for making submissions to the contest.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

487 Views
1 Review
Added on August 15, 2015
Last Updated on August 15, 2015

Author

Devashish Kumar
Devashish Kumar

New Delhi, Delhi, India



Writing