Atlantis, The Beginning of the Fall

Atlantis, The Beginning of the Fall

A Story by Avallach
"

A look back at the past, to the Beginning of the Fall of Mighty Atlantis.

"
Avallach stood there, looking over the ground of New Avaron, the expanse of the castle lay before him.  His eyes took in the sight of the land and his people, it was the fourth anniversary of the war and he wondered to himself.  His mind moving in patterns that seemed to turn the skies dark to match his mood.  The sky began to cloud up when from behind the King a smooth silky voice rang out softly.
"Lord Avallach, that which you are contemplating, I know it well." Avallach turned to see where the musical voice originated from.  Standing before Avallach was the human Avatar of the dragon Avaron.  A tall man with brilliant metallic hair, eyes of liquid silver and skin a hue of powered blue sky. 

"Of the past, Sir, you should be familiar, you lived it.  However I know this is not what you mean, why do you interrupt my solace." Avallach's tone was one of unmovable darkness.

"Avallach, your solace is mine as well."

"Avaron, do not toy with me, you may well be the protector of this land but I am it's King.  I have not asked for your …" Avallach raised his eyebrow "sympathy."

These words caused Avaron to smile sadly.  "My child, you have been calling for me since the day it happened.  Only you didn't know what it was you were doing.  Though you need not fear my son, even submerged she is honored."  He extended his open hand and his eyes glowed with an inward fire.  There in the palm of the dragon's hand shimmered to life an image blue as the deepest sapphire.

"Look if you will son of Atlantis, look and see that even now your wife is honored." Avaron nodded to the image that wavered there in his palm. 

Avallach moved slowly to look into the palm of the dragon and as such into the very image of his wife's grave, covered over by Oceanus.  There he saw in that wavering image the very stone he himself had moved to mark her resting place.  The white stone gilded in oriculum sat above a glowing patch of ocean floor.  The glowing intensified as Avallach looked upon the image, and soon seconds later there sprouted lilies as pure white as snow.

Avallach looked up at Avaron "Why do you show me this?  Is it not enough that she is dead?"

"It is enough Avallach, but know you this, she may no longer live on this Earth but she has not left."  Avaron's piercing eyes looked in to Avallach's after he finished speaking. Avaron took a deep breath and broke off into a run and jumped off of the edge of the tower.  For but a few seconds Avallach was worried about the dragon, then a loud rush of air and the silvery blue dragon flew back into view, no longer in his human form.

Avallach watched the dragon disappear in to the distance and moved into the inner room of the tower, his sanctum.  There he dropped down on to the couch that lay there.  His eyes closing as he tried to throw off the darkness of his mood.  Soon he fell into a waking sleep.  His mind transported back in time all those many years ago.

**

The dark haired man stood there looking out over the vista that could only be seen from the windows of the High Temple.  The man's eyes looked out over the scene, rolling hills to the far north, flat fertile planes of rich green leading up to the temple, then the lake of the gods with it's deep blue sapphire waters encircling the temple.  The scenery was perfect but the dark furrow upon the man's brow spoke of the dark thoughts that passed across his mind. 

The High King had been murdered, and thus the first blood of Atlantis had been spilt, it was to war with the brothers of Atlantis.  The man turned to see his wife approaching from down the resplendent hall.  But for a moment as his eyes drank the woman in he could not suppress a smile at her beauty, for she was second only to the Lady of this land.

"Bridget, my love." His smile soon faded as his mind worked "We will have to get you back to Avaron as quickly as possible.  The High King has been  murdered."  He moved to close the distance between them and saw the worried look upon her face.

"Of this I know my Lord, that is why I have come for you.  There is talk of war in the court, some of the other ladies are speaking of treason.  Surely no one of the nobles killed the King?" Bridget's voice was a whisper as she moved closer to her husband.

"There was no one else in the chamber when it happened my love, it had to be one of the nobles, there are several who covet the High Throne…" Avallach started to move them both towards the nobels quarters.  "Where is Charis?"

"She is at the palace in our quarters." Bridget responded quickly.

"Go, get her up, pack our things, you are returning to Avaron within the hour.  I will make the arrangements for your escort.  Go do this now quickly my love." Avallach's voice was strong as he moved away from her to the quarters of his royal guard.

**

Avllach moved to the carriage and opened the door for his lady, he extended his hand to help her up as he scanned the horizon of the palace.  He was unnerved that he was not returning with them to their kingdom but he had to stay and make plans for what was to befall Atlantis.  As the lady Bridget reached her husband she took his hand and ascended in to the carriage.  She turned and sat watching her daughter enter as well.

She leaned out and kissed her husband's cheek whispering softly in to his ear. "Be careful my love, and come home to us." Her soft voice was like vocal silk.  He returned her kiss and nodded to her.

"Of being careful my love I am the best, I will return to you for that is all I wish for." With that Avallach closed the door to the carriage and moved to the front of the column.  His gaze fell upon the Captain of the Royal guard and his voice was low enough that only the man could hear.

"You take care of them, escort them safely back to our lands and make ready our armies.  Do this for me Cicero..." he was interrupted by a strong female voice behind them.

"Halt." It was but a single word, spoken as a request, but issued from a voice of command.  Avallach turned to see from where the voice issued and his eyes widened as he saw the servants and nobles on knee before the woman.  He himself took to knee before the High Queen of Atlantis. "Lord Avallach arise and hear the will of the Queen. It will not do for the Lord Regent of Atlantis to return his family without a High Guard presence.  Though safe they may be with your guard Sir, I beg you allow me to send mine as well out of appearances sake."

As she spoke the gates opened and another hundred men dressed in fine armor, and armed with sword and spear of legendary quality poured forth and took up positions around the carriage.  Purple plumes upon there helmets and pure white sashes signaled that they were the High Guard of Atlantis, personal guards of the High King and Queen. Avallach was taken aback, his mouth opened but no sound emanated from it as he stared blankly at the High Queen who had just honored him beyond his station.

"Hurry now, Karamon, lead the family back home and stay with them, serve them as you would me!" the High Queen ordered as she began to turn.  "Lord Avallach, a moment of your time Regent."

Avallach shook his head quickly to dislodge the disbelieve he felt at this wild turn of events and turned to watch the well armored column begin to depart the castle, as the gates of reinforced orrilum opened.  The blinding purples, whites, blues, and silvers rode out two hundred strong.  Avallach made his way up the stairs to the side of the Queen.

"My Lady, I.. I am not… shouldn't you have appointed one more suited to the Regency?" Avallach's voice was calm but confused.

"You, Lord Regent are the one that my husband trusted above all others, it was his wish and mine that the Regency be yours." She stopped to look at the man she was speaking with and saw the disbelief in his eyes.  "Do you doubt the will of the High King?"

"N..no my Lady of that I do not." Avallach took a deep breath to steady himself.

"You see Avallach.. may I call you that?"

"You may call me what you wish my Lady." Was Avallach's quick response.

"Then Avallach Protector of the Realm today, Lord Regent when formality dictates, and friend in private." Her voice was calm and soft as she spoke and smiled upon him.

"You do me to much honor my Lady." Avallach responded with down cast eyes.

"My friend, I do you not enough…"

**

Bridget sat in the carriage and watched the country side fly past them, it would be a long trek back to her kingdom.  Though the world might go up in war she was secure in her faith that she and her child will be safe.  She pulled the girl close to her and began to hum softly to herself as she stroked the girls head of dark hair.  Her mind drifted from her husband, to her children, and to her kingdom, each time resting for but a moment before moving to the next though.

"We are loved…" she said softly to herself as her face lifted to the golden disk in the sky. 

"We are loved by the gods;

Loved by creation;

Loved by the watchers;

And loved by the lands. 

We are the disciples of the gods;

Guardians of creation;

Listeners of the watcher;

And servants of the lands.  

Safe shall we be kept in the arms of the gods;

Ready shall we be to defend creation;

Quick shall we be to learn from the watchers;

And happy shall we be to work the lands."

As she finished the prayer she heard the call of a soldier and felt the slowing of the carriage.  She started to lean out of the window to see what the hold up was but thought better of it and began to close the windows locking them securely.  This, she knew could be a trap, no matter how unlikely her duty was to protect her child.  As she finished securing the last window she saw the High Guard starting to take positions about her carriage and heard the call of the Captain.

"Mother?  Why.. why have we stopped?" Charis asked in a sleepily tone.

"I do not know little one, shhh go back to sleep." Bridget's hand reached out and touched the child's cheek. "It is nothing were not that far out of the city little one, nothing will happen."

"Promise?" Charis asked softly, feeling the worry of the soldiers outside.

"I promise little one now back to sleep with you."  When Bridget was sure that her daughter was well on her way to dreams she herself closed her eyes.  The hum that issued from her throat was lyrical as her magics welled up inside of her and pierced the top of the carriage.  There she shifted her vision so she could see what was befalling her escort.  What she saw was nothing out of the ordinary, the vast majority of her escort were in a protective stance around the carriage as others began to cut away the fallen tree across their path.  Bridget was about to let her vision return to her body when she looked into the trees and saw their lying in wait several rows of soldiers.  Her brow furrowed as she looked closer at them, they wore no sash, nor symbol of army.  She wondered at why her escort did not attack them, and then she knew why, the other soldiers were being masked by a very well trained battlemage. 

Just as she saw them, the mage saw her and began to cast a spell, she watched as the energies of his body began to focus and raise.  She saw him glowing a bright red and then watched as a quarter of her escorts were cut down in a blast of fire.  She gasped as she saw the guardsmen fall to the ground and fuse with the dirt.  She watched as her guard shook themselves free of the shock and charged the trees where the fire came from.  She felt the lurch of the carriage as it started to move once again, this time backwards towards the High City.  She saw the enemy men take the back of the road and block there line of retreat and a single tear slid down her ivory face.

She watched for several seconds more as her defenders fell, the blood ran freely on the earth of Atlantis.  For every one of her defenders she watched as two of the attackers fell, and for a moment she thought they might live past the hour.  Then she watched as the mage began to form another spell, weaving it around his body, channeling the energies he drew from the earth to fuel his magic.  There she knew they were doomed. 

She pulled her magic back in to the carriage and slipped her arms around her child.  She hummed softly and wove her own protection around the carriage, reinforcing it with her will and her magic.  She might die but she would not let her child suffer the same fate. She forced herself to concentrate as she pictured the carriage glowing a bright blue, just as she had finished her spell and the bubble had been formed a hail of fire pummeled the area.  It incinerated the soldiers but barely touched the carriage.  She forced herself to keep her focus, for if she lost it the bubble would fail and she and Charis would be killed.

Her mind reeled under the pressure, she felt her body begin to ache as the deluge continued.  She hopped that the city watchers could see this and would alert the Queen. She shook her head as her mind wandered to the rescue she hoped for and returned to sustaining the bubble.   The hum was now a song, her voice fueling her magic focusing it and projecting it into and around the carriage.  The Mage began the assault anew, this time he hurled huge ice rocks at the carriage they impacted and shattered into many pieces, but each assault shrank the bubble of protection, until they were beginning to batter the roof of the carriage.

Instantly she made up her mind, she could not protect them any longer and hope to save her child.  As the last ice rock fell upon the carriage she stopped her humming and pushed open the door.  Bridget, the royal wife of Avallach, Lady of Avaron, pampered noble of a high house sprang out of the carriage and on to the ground, her silvery dress flying.  Her feet planted firmly on the ground her song returned, picked up volume and swirled the air about her.  Her head was thrown back in an uproar and as she leveled her gaze at the men before her the earth shook apart and swallowed a goodly portion of the attacking force.  Fueled by a maternal instinct to protect her young she pushed forward calling down lighting from the skies above.  In her rage she did not see the mage as he simply lifted a hand to the skies and said an incantation that grounded him to the earth allowing the lighting to pass harmlessly thru him.

Thus she killed a large number of the remaining attackers, her mind reeling again she forced herself forward to the mage before her.  Her song now a scream deafening to all nearby.  She pressed her assault but was stopped dead in her tracks as she saw a man holding her daughter, knife at her neck.  The mage smiled at Bridget.

"So you see woman, you will die still." The mage's voice was cruel and hard.  "I will quite enjoy watching you die, and my Lord will be most pleased to know that with your death your husband will die as well."

The mage extended his hand and formed a wicked dagger of ice split down the center and barbed.  His head cocked to one side and her smirked again, he opened his fingers and watched as the dagger sank it's self hilt deep in to the chest of the noble woman before him.

"Know this Lady, your daughter will watch you die, but fear not, I'm not with out mercy, you will not be long on the other side before she joins you." His laugh echoed in the forest and sent a chill down Bridget's back.  Her eyes fell upon her daughter and she watched as the solider slit her throat then threw her on the ground.  The two men turned and left there laughter still echoing in her ears. 

**

"My Queen…" Avallach stopped short, what the Queen had apparently felt he now heard.  He spun around to look out over the city and saw the fireball the erupted outside of the gates.  "No.. no… NO!!!!" he bellowed as he ran down the stairs of the palace and to the nearest mount.  He jumped easily on to the back of the saddles horse and spun it around towards the gates.  In his haste he did not see the High Queen moving to accompany him.  She too mounted up as did the remaining High Guard and began chasing after Avallach.

He road hard, thru the streets of the High City, all the while his eyes watching the fireballs rain down outside the gates.  He pushed the horse forward, willing it to move quicker.  He jumped tables and toppled over citizens.  He watched as the fire turned to ice and he felt a shiver run down his spine.

"No, surely this cant be.  They had an escort two hundred strong… surely not…" he road hard and he felt the earth tremor under him, or was that just the gallop of the horse, he did not know.

His eyes constantly scanning where he had last seen the fireballs fall from the heavens. As he sped thru the streets of the city to reach the outer gates and disprove his worst fear.  He was almost there but a few moments more and he would crest the hills outside of the city.  Then he saw the lightening falling from the sky on a clear day, at this his stomach tightened the only explanation of that was a battle.

He exited the city and pushed the horse faster to crest the hill, he heard a scream it sounded like his wife but in a twisted furious way.  He shook inside at the sound and forced himself to put that aside as he made his way there.  A few moments longer, just a few and he would see.  He crested the hill and saw before him a scene of total carnage. He sprang from the back of the horse and ran to the carriage.  His eyes sweeping over the field seeing the men who but a few moments ago had been whole and full of life, now they lay charred and smoldering.  The sounds of the men who were not yet dead rang out across the road those that were fused to the earth but still conscious, cries of the doomed, sobs of the hurt.

He gasped as he looked in to the carriage and saw no one there.  His mind raced, where could they be?  Where were they? He turned and looked to find them.

"Bridget!  BRIDGET!" his voice screamed as he fought to keep from panicking.  There he saw her, her silver dress a stark contrast to the black and charred earth, her blood spilling out turning her skin a whiter pale.  She fidgeted as she held her child in her arms.  Avallach watched a flash of blue cross between the two women as he stumbled over to them.  His hands reached down and touched his child, she was cold and her skin was as pale as the snow.

His head shook violently as he denounced what had happened, and Bridget's hand fell upon his.  Tears welling up in his eyes he looked down upon the woman he loved and took her gently in his arms.  His fingers moving her dark hair from her eyes as he looked at her.

"You.. you cant leave my love… you… cant…" his voice was a croak as he fidgeted with her.

She laughed softly at him as she wheezed in a breath "I.. fear… love that you… will have to…" she gasped and her eyes glazed over a moment "will have to return to an empty bed."

His tears fell down his cheeks as he shook his head so caught up in his grief he did not noticed the wind beginning to spin around him, the leaves being picked up and swirling. His eyes were locked on the woman in his arms.  He wouldn't let her die, couldn't let her die, she was his life.

"I.. shh… you cant die my love, you mustn't.." he looked deeply into her eyes and bent down to kiss her.  "My life is your Bridget my Queen, as it was when we first met, as it was when we were lovers," his voice cracked and hers took over "as it was… in our wedding, as it was.. in our child's birth… as my life will forever be yours even in death Avallach, my King." She looked about them and saw what he had done and shook her head.

"You mustn't live in the past my love, you… mustn't tamper with time… Take our daughter and raise her, she will need you.  I will… go before and make ready your house in… the afterlife." With that her hand touched his and sent a jolt thru him, and the leafs fell to the ground around him.  She smiled at him one last time and her hand fell to the ground.  His body shook as he touched her hand and felt no spark of life.  A wail issued from his throat of such deep hurt and longing that it seemed the skies responded in kind.  A thunderous noise rose up from behind him and he turned crouched his hand on his sword.

The High Queen sat looking down at him, she dismounted and moved to his side.  She placed a hand on his shoulder and kissed his forehead.

"This is, indeed, a dark day written in the blood of Atlantis.  We both have lost our loves, but my dear friend you at least, still have her." The Queen pointed at Charis, lying on the ground.

"I have her not my queen.. she too is as cold as my wife." Avallach said sadly, but the Queen shook her head and moved to the side of the child.

"She is injured yes, but not dead Avallach." The High Queen placed her hands on the child and closed her eyes her hands began to glow in a deep blue light and the light spread to the girl child that lay on the ground below. 

"Your wife was powerful Avallach, she gave her all for your child, she breathed life back into her.  Be happy at least of that."  The Queen took the child in her arms and rose from the ground then moved to Avallach's side.  "You were the right one Avallach, and I see why you received the highest marks in the Academy.  Though it is a dangerous game you play my friend." The Queens voice was soft and caring as she handed the now sleeping child into Avallach's arms.

His brow furrowed as he didn't understand what she meant as he took his daughter and moved to the horse that stood just outside of the scorched land.  The Queen smiled at him sadly and responded to his physical expression of confusion.

"You will know my friend in due course you shall know.  Only the most powerful can freeze time, can stop it totally as you just did back there, now go you now back to the palace and see to your daughter." The expression on the High Queens face was one of knowing understanding, as if she knew he would visit this memory m any time.

**

Avallach woke abruptly to the sound of adjusting himself in a chair.  His eyes cracked to see the same silver man sitting in the chair that was his favorite.

"You do know that she was right my son.  Only the most powerful, the most worthy are able to tap into and control time."  Avaron's voice floated over the room.

"Is that what you meant about calling for you?" Avallach asked as he pushed himself up to a sitting position.  The dragon nodded slightly.

"That is exactly what I mean.  You reacted just as I did when I first lost my Queen." Avaron spoke softly, his great glowing eyes seemed to dull for a moment.  "Only where you froze time for brief moments, I stopped the world from turning for centuries.  Your Queen was far wiser than mine.  But then again your Bridget was a very special woman."

Avallach watched the dragon and narrowed his eyes, he didn't believe him.  He knew dragons were immortal, powerful beings, they would not die, could not die unless they were slain.  Avaron's eyes looked at the man and he shook his head.

© 2018 Avallach


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on March 23, 2018
Last Updated on March 23, 2018
Tags: Atlantis, Fantasy, Magic

Author

Avallach
Avallach

TX



About
Semi-Driver, writer on the side. more..