Case of Konrad and Teresa

Case of Konrad and Teresa

A Story by W. B. G. Schreiber

Taken from account given by Konrad after "The Incident"

 

 

Subject: Konrad Anslem

Date: 11/16

Occupancy: Resident

Status: Infected

 

My name is Konrad Anslem. I was born in Volfoct and have lived here all my life. I grew up as one of the few children in the town. I guess our situation deters some couples from wanting to reproduce. Can’t say I blame them. As is the way of the disease, I was not born infected. It happened later when I was a teenager.

Three of my friends and I decided to go into the forest. We thought nothing of the consequences and as a result I ended up waking up the next morning in the Church. When I woke up my father was next to me and the doors were still locked. They told me that only one of my friends survived and that unlike me he had not been infected. At first I was thankful for him, but recently I have hated him for it.

Despite my… condition, I still managed to enjoy a normal life… other than wearing the cross that is. Luckily, the town has managed to stay accepting of our kind, but then again that’s why the town even exists.

When I was in my mid-twenties I married Teresa. We had known each other all our lives, but then again everyone in this town has known everyone, but the retainees, all their life. That’s just how it works. Small town concept, everyone knows each other, knows there families, knows everything about you. There are no secrets in this town. So the answer is yes. Teresa knew about my condition when she agreed to marry me.

You see we were eighteen when we started dating. At first things were a little shaky, but eventually we ended up falling in love. I remember one time we were lying by the river talking. I had planned on proposing to her, but was so nervous. I swear she had to know what was going on I was shaking so much. Anyways, in my nervousness I ended up jokingly knocking her into the water to avoid asking her. As she fell in she reached out and pulled me in. We ended up wrestling a little until finally I had her. I then pulled the ring out of my pocket and held it in front of her face. It was funny she didn’t seem to understand at first and just sat there starring at it. Then I whispered into her ear “will you marry me?” I let her go and she just turned around and hugged me as hard as she could.

Her parents weren’t too thrilled when they found out we were planning on getting married. See Teresa wasn’t infected. As a result her parents feared for her, like parents do. She reassured them saying she’d be fine, that the disease wasn’t contagious. They reminded her that she could still get it from me. I didn’t understand at the time why they cared so much about it. They were a mixed family: her dad clean, her mom infected. Then again, mixed families are rare and they were the exception. My parents were both infected, so I guess I just never thought much of it.

The wedding was a festive event. The whole town came out and seemed to be having a good time. Even some retainees decided to come and looked somewhat content. I remember standing there waiting patiently as she walked up the aisle, her and her dad. She looked beautiful in her dress; her blonde hair hung loose, her piercing blue eyes behind her veil…

{Subject stopped by administrator}

{Subject informed to focus on requested info}

            It was the night before our third anniversary. I had decided to surprise Teresa with a candle light dinner. I figured that by doing it the night before there would be more of an element of surprise. Then we would be able to celebrate right into our anniversary. I had sent her to my parents’ house to pick up some stupid thing; I don’t really remember any more what it was.

When she got back the whole house was dark. She wandered in confused, trying to figure out where I would have gone. Finally, she noticed the shimmering light coming from the kitchen. When she walked in she saw the set table, the candles, and behind it all me walking from around the table carrying flowers. They were forget-me-nots, her favorite. Small delicate flowers, for my small delicate flower. She hugged me and whispered thank you into my ear. I then pulled her chair out for her and she sat down while I got the food.

            I had cooked steaks that I had got from the town butcher. I also had made mashed potatoes and steamed some vegetables from our garden. As we ate we talked. She kept thanking me for the dinner and complimenting me on my cooking. She even joked that maybe from then on I should do all the cooking instead. It was turning out to be a good night, but it didn’t last.

            Teresa was holding her fork close to the prongs; she always held it that way. Why did she have to hold so low…

{Subject paused}

{Subject consoled}

{Subject ordered to continue}

            She was holding the fork low… too low. She ended up cutting her finger. It was just a knick, but that was enough. She started to bleed. At first it was ok she winced, pulled away and sucked on her finger a little. I asked what was wrong and she told me that she had knicked it, then showed me the cut. A little blood ran down her finger. My eyes saw that single drop and followed it intently as it continued down her finger. I just sat there fixated on it.

            She asked if I was ok. I didn’t respond, I couldn’t respond. I just stared at her finger. She realized I was watching her finger and immediately pulled it away. It didn’t matter it was too late. I stayed fixated on her. I could now smell the blood. It was… intoxicating.

            She slowly stood up, asking if I was ok. I still didn’t respond. The cross around my neck began to burn. I could feel it fighting to keep me in control. I could feel me fighting to keep me in control, but it was like I was just pushed aside forced to watch knowing exactly what was wrong. The cross just kept burning. It burned so much I couldn’t stand it anymore. I grabbed the chain and ripped it. The cross fell to the floor and the burning ceased.

            The feeling that rushed over me was… so strong. It was like a weight had been thrust off of me. Teresa seeing me rip off the cross immediately began to panic. She knew what was happening; she had heard about it many times, but unlike me, she had never witnessed it herself. She started screaming and stumbling backward. I saw her hold up the steak knife, and praised her for it. But there was nothing I could do, I was just trapped inside my own head as it took hold of me.

            I began to walk towards Teresa, fighting the whole time willing myself to stand still. It didn’t work. I just kept moving toward her, slow and steady. My beautiful Teresa was no longer my wife… she was prey. I just kept moving toward her. Progressively my vision began to fade, until I blacked out. The last thing I remember is joy, relief, hunger, blood…

{Subject temporarily restrained}

{Upon subjects return to normal state, subject was urged to continue}

I woke up in the Church for the second time. This time I was alone and covered in blood. I looked around, but couldn’t find her. My heart sank and I hoped beyond hope that it meant she had gotten away.

 When they finally opened the doors they told me that I had had an episode and had… had killed her… I had ripped her apart and then started eating her. They had heard her screams and had come in to stop me. But it was too late, there was nothing that they could have done to help.

My father was among the group that opened the door to the church. He just looked at me and said “This is our lives. This is our curse. You knew the risks when you married her. Now get up and stop disgracing us.” He then slapped me across the face and turned his back on me and walked away. The others then handed me a new cross and had me go back to living life like nothing had happened. But I couldn’t do it… not without her… not without Teresa…

 

{Interview halted.}

{Attempted to consol subject}

{Attempt Failed}

{Interview Ended}

 

{Hours after interview Konrad was found dead. His silver cross was discovered next to him. Cross had been chipped away at, creating makeshift blade.}

 

© 2009 W. B. G. Schreiber


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
Added on February 10, 2009
Last Updated on February 12, 2009


Author

W. B. G. Schreiber
W. B. G. Schreiber

IL



About
I am curreently working on two big projects and am looking for ideas for some small ones. One of my projects is a collection of short stories that I call "Interval Impossible". The stories are mostly .. more..

Writing