3 Thumps Awoken

3 Thumps Awoken

A Story by Courtney Broderick
"

This short story is based on true events.

"
I suddenly awoke from my sleep from a loud thump against what I could have sworn was my bedroom window.  I, however, could not be certain for I was in my brother's room sleeping on this particular night.  I still was not allowed to go back and sleep in my room.  My parents believed I would jump out of the window and run away, far away.  Thump! There it was again!  So I did not imagine it.  He had come again to see me. Thump! Knowing for sure now that it was no longer probable for it to be anything but him, I sat up.  At this moment, I fell into relapse.  What if I did run away?  Maybe we could leave together and I would no longer suffer the pains of parenting parents.  When a child is in need should not parents listen to their children's cries?  When a child needs to be free, shouldn't they lessen the grip so that they do not strangle?  
I can not run away.  I just could not.  Running away would mean not encountering my fears head first.  Not being able to look them in the eyes.  Not being able to move my hands out to hold myself in grief. Not being able to completely and utterly throw myself to the floor in front of them and scream, "Forgive me Lord, for I have sinned!"  No, I would not run.  Instead I sat there in bed and pretended not to hear the thumps and rattles coming from my window.  The outside world could not stir the spirit within me to do the unthinkable.

© 2014 Courtney Broderick


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting read. I'm a bit confused as to what the thumping was though. Were you meaning that the main characters brother was outside, thumping on their window to come in? Very curious! Why would their brother be outside in the middle of the night? Maybe it's just the fantasy writer in me coming out, but I'm imagining so many different things right now! The main character didn't know for sure if it was their brother, so could it actually be someone else???

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 14, 2014
Last Updated on April 14, 2014
Tags: thump, thumps, awoke, alive, living, man, men, him, window, Lord, fears, mistakes, parents

Author

Courtney Broderick
Courtney Broderick

Providence, RI



About
Hello there! I love to write short monologues (comedies, and very dramatic pieces), and short storys. I hope you enjoy them, and if you want to use them please email me at [email protected]... more..

Writing