Unknown

Unknown

A Story by Charlize

A young woman is woken up from her dream to find herself lying on a hard, rough surface. She sat up and looked around to see what looked like the deck of a ship. She was deep in thought, trying to remember how she got there and where she was even going.
Suddenly, she heard heavy footsteps making their way towards the front the ship as two men came into view. One was a middle aged man in a suit while the other was a tall, handsome man with three vicious looking dogs. Before the woman could even ask either one of them where the ship headed to, the middle aged man ran passed her in a rush. The other man followed him calmly.
They spoke in a language she was not very familiar with. It could have been German, maybe Russian. She didn't know. The man in the suit was shouting and crying hysterically while the taller man kept quiet. After a while, the older man started to climb onto the bow of the ship making the woman gasp. The other man then mumbled something that didn't sound like any language she's ever heard of. It made his dogs chase and grab the clearly disturbed man with their jaws clamped down onto his shirt, pulling him to safety.
The woman was in shock when a couple of men in uniform appeared, grabbing hold of the man and forcefully taking him into one of the cabins, she assumed. The younger man looked at her for the first time with a stoic expressing on his face and walked towards her. She felt extremely nervous and not just because he was a stranger. There was something mysterious and almost dangerous hiding behind his stormy grey eyes.
It took her a while to recognize the hand reaching out in front of her. She took it hesitantly as he pulled her to her feet. "I'm sorry about that, Ms. Smith. My name is Grayson Reynolds and I'm the captain of this ship." he says in a deep voice. A voice that seemed all too familiar.
“H-how do you know you know my name?” she stammers quietly. He gives her a smile and stays quiet for a while before walking towards the railings of the quarter deck, leaving her with more unanswered questions. I must be in a ship with madmen, she thought. Nonetheless, she plays along and follows him.
“Who was that man? The one who was about to jump of the ship?” she asks, needing the comfort of security. He doesn't answer which causes her to become slightly more curious. She tried a different approach.
“Is he ill?” she asks cautiously. He shook his head. “No, I don't think so. I believe he was hopeful. The new ones always are.” he says.
“What do you mean by that?” she asks and he stays silent again.
“It's beautiful, isn't it?” he says instead of answering her. They are now both admiring the view in front of them. “The sunset? I guess.” she says completely uninterested. “No, not the sunset. The horizon.” He says.
“What do you mean by that? It’s just the line separating the sky from the sea. It's practically nonexistent.” She says.
“It's what beyond the horizon that's more interesting.” he replies.
“What could possibly be in the horizon that intrigues you so much?” She was beginning to get irritated.
“Mystery, Ms. Smith.” he answers simply. “The world holds a vast amount of knowledge the human eye hasn’t discovered yet.”
“Well, maybe it's better not to know something that you might regret knowing about.” she says.
“Knowledge is power, my dear.” he says, turning to face her.
“Knowledge is also a burden.” she crosses her arms and looks him in the eye.
“I don't mind a bit of a burden on my shoulders.” He turned back to watch the view.
“Wouldn't you be in a state of melancholy all the time then?” she asks.
“It's been awhile since I felt anything at all.” he says as he sighed as if he's said this a million times before.
“What do you mean by that?” she asks. He stays silent again. Her face was beginning to burn from anger. The annoyance inside of her was bubbling like water boiling in kettle.
“So, where are we going?” she asks more aggressively than the first time.
“The unknown.” he smirked. She rolls her eyes then felt something inside her snap like a twig.
“That is enough! I'm through playing games with you!” She says fed up with him beating around the bush. She didn't know where she got the courage to speak the way she did at the moment but she kept going.
“You come up with these witty arguments yet you can't even answer the simplest of questions!” Her voice was filled with pure resentment.
“Why don't we put your knowledge to the test and answer my question; Where in the world is this ship going?” She demanded.
“You'll soon find out. We're almost there.” He points towards the view. This confused her more than it angered her, for some reason. She stares into the distance and slowly starts to forget what they were arguing about in the first place. She felt herself relax. She felt like forgetting all her worries.
“Maybe you're right, Ms. Smith. Maybe not knowing is a good thing.” he says. His joyous yet somehow sinister laughter was the last thing she heard until a flash of bright light hit her eyes and what she after that was definitely beautiful.

© 2018 Charlize


Author's Note

Charlize
I wrote this months ago and I haven’t fixed the grammar and stuff so don’t judge me but judge me if that makes any sense at all. Basically, if you didn’t get it, Mrs. Smith has been dead for a while and she’s still in purgatory or whatever you call it in your religion but she’s starting to forget things in the end. The meaning behind the story is that we don’t really know what happens after death so that’s why it’s a cliff hanger.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on February 27, 2018
Last Updated on February 27, 2018