Magic

Magic

A Poem by Chianne Grenier
"

I am not sure if this is exactly poetry.. or in which genre it'd fall in, really. Let the reader decide for themselves I suppose..

"
      How much does a day cost? I can’t help but wonder.. How much is it worth? Just one more span of 24 hours to call your own; a sunrise, a sunset. I lay outside and the soft grasses blow around me, surrounding me with the fresh smell of spring. The sun dips into the horizon like a paint brush, splashing the skies with streaks of pinks and orange. How much would I pay to see this sight one more time if I knew it would be my last? To smell the air, to feel as the last soft rays of sun bathe my skin, the wind swirling my hair in torrents around my head? I question it.. And I think of you. As I lay there and ponder this scene, my life.. I think of you.
        How much would it cost to be guaranteed a day to laugh; maybe even love? To feel the warmth of another beings arms, as they hold you tight, and realize that there is no where else you’d rather be? Would you spend your day there, just looking into their eyes and praying that it won’t hurt, not the end, but knowing that you’ll never see those eyes again? The departure isn’t what matters, but the ‘goodbye’. Will you be left with memories so fond, that they follow and dance around you as you slip into whatever may follow, so pleasant to have that it won’t even hurt to leave, for they will always be with you? Or will the ghosts of what was haunt you, an empty echo of what can never again be; so painful that it almost would have been better to have never had looked into those eyes to begin with? Yes, I think of you.
        Sometimes it scares me. Scares me to think that I am in too far. Why do I choose to like, then know, then love when I know in the end it will only hurt that much more? There is always that chance that that love will leave, taking all that’s good in you with it. Always that chance that you will never get that piece of you back, it’s a risk. But is it one I’m willing to take? Wouldn’t it be easier to push away now, to know that I decided to protect my own heart, and lock it away.. Easier then handing it off like a gift. A fragile gift. One that can be dropped, and broken. Or even worse, given back? Life and love isn’t a fairytale. And who’s really that lucky, to find a true love? One that will NEVER hurt? I’ve never been lucky This is why I think of you.
        The sunset gives way to night, darkness leaking into the sky above like ink from a pen. And like glitter scattered onto a poster from a toddlers hand, stars light up the sky, slowly flashing with brilliance into the black abyss of night. Close enough to count, too far away to touch. And then I feel movement, and there you are. You lie next to me. I feel your warmth as you pull me to you, I look into your eyes.. And the stars disappear. The beauty of the night sky has nothing on those eyes. And I realize: believing in love is like believing in magic. The magic of trust, and honesty, and faith. All the things that go into making love last. All things that can easily be betrayed and are so hard to retain. But as bad as the odds may be, I know holding on is worth every scary second. Because in these eyes, I am worth more than every star in the sky. And where else is that possible, except for in love? So, yeah, I think of you. And I decide to take my chances… Because suddenly, I believe in magic.

    Do you?

© 2010 Chianne Grenier


Author's Note

Chianne Grenier
Correct any grammar problems if you like, tell me what you think.. I am always open for suggestions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very solid. :) I wish, perhaps, it was a more dramatic plotline? A bit more fictional, maybe? Leaving someone in death? Not that it isn't cliche, but some of your words fit the idea beautifully.
Either way, well done. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice....solid writing. You bring up alot of good questions...any answer would have to be in context to the life a person was living at the time I suppose. Very thought provoking.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 19, 2010
Last Updated on August 19, 2010

Author

Chianne Grenier
Chianne Grenier

ME



About
I just.. love to write. I am a fifteen year old girl who has always loved to express myself through words.. it's the only way I can, really. I have not an artistic bone in my body.. so I paint with wo.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..