Ride that Puppy

Ride that Puppy

A Story by T. L. O'Neal
"

True story about Rusty the cat and a little trouble he got into.

"

Ride that Puppy

Written by T. L. O’Neal

 

    Our family cat is ole Rusty Boy, he’s a big orange Tabby and he’s an inside cat too and always has been for that matter. This was not by his decision of course, but it doesn’t mean that he doesn’t like fresh air or to take a look outside every now and then either. I think he probably would of liked it out there, because one time he snagged a bird that happened to land on the other side of the screen door while he was on the inside looking out. The door was just a little bit short at the bottom, then a wren landed on the top step and that was all it took. By the time we saw what was going on it was too late; he had that poor thing eaten in no time flat. He must have enjoyed it quite a bit by the way he gobbled it down. He also had plenty of opportunities catching mice in the house in the wintertime too; one week he killed eight of them. But he never required a taste for them though; he just enjoyed the hunt was all. Anyway, Rusty had this habit of lying in the open windows against the screen in the summertime. He really loved doing that and he would lie there in the window all daylong looking at birds, getting fresh air and taking in the morning sun too.

 

   On this one particular day he was in the window as usual, and he must of rolled over too hard or leaned on the screen a bit too much. Whatever the case was, that screen popped loose and out he fell into the yard. Unfortunately for him, the windows were very high from the ground and being an inside cat, he really didn’t know what to do about the situation or where to go either.

 

   At the moment we had two outside dogs and a couple of strays hanging around too, so you could say we had four dogs too many then. We started to hear a lot of barking and commotion on the other side of the house, so I went to the back of the house and looked out of the window and I saw those four dogs and a cat going to it. I was wondering where in the world that cat came from, and why was he out there fighting with those dogs. I said to myself, that’s one tough cat to be fighting four dogs, and he sure looks a lot like my Rusty too. Then I saw that screen had popped loose, and I went nuts after realizing that it was my cat out there doing battle with all of those dogs. So I ran to the backdoor as fast as I could go to try and save him, but by the time I got back there they were already chasing him around the house. I was too late at the back of the house, so I went screaming and running to the kitchen door as fast as I could go to cut them off at the pass.

 

  Then they came running around the corner of the house, and I kid you not, that cat was riding on the back of that Red Tick hound like a monkey at the circus. His eyes were a blazing with fear and his fur was standing up on end. The poor old cat had his fur puffed out so much that he looked like he was a chimney cleaning brush. Anyways, he was riding that dog with his claws and all fours drove into the dog’s back and holding on for dear life, while the other dogs were in hot pursuit and pulling up the rear. Those old dogs were having the time of their lives too, they were grinning from ear to ear like a possum eating a persimmon. The cat on the other hand wasn’t, he was stuck on the back of that dog like a cocklebur and right in the middle of all of the rest of them dogs too. It looked like a pure stampede of dogs a coming and I was going to meet them head on when they arrived. I was pretty sure that was the scariest that cat’s ever been; the vacuum cleaner doesn’t even touch this I bet.

 

    By now I was a nervous wreck and ran out of the kitchen door and started kicking dogs as hard as I could go, including the one that Rusty was riding on. I was right in the middle of it, kicking and screaming at dogs all the way around me. I would get one dog away and another would take his place and get right back into that ball of fur. Rusty finally let go of that dog he was riding on, and attached himself to the metal railing going up the kitchen steps. Now how he got out of that mess I’m not sure; but he’s a better man than me because I was still in the middle of it all and trying to get out myself. I kicked and pushed my way through that canine gauntlet as best as I could, and back to the kitchen porch. Rusty was still holding on for dear life with his fur standing on end and his eyes as big as saucers, he wasn’t about to let go. He was stuck on that rail like it was glue.

 

    At this instance my daughter Caroline came out; she couldn’t have been more than six at the time, and she wanted to help. I was still kicking them dogs off the steps and Rusty was still holding on for dear life, and now here comes Caroline going to try and get that cat. Caroline always was the helpful sort and at the same time always going in face first where any animals were concerned, it just wasn’t a good idea now. So I screamed to her to just let the cat be and to stay away from him, and that I would get Rusty. But she went face first and unafraid to get the cat and Rusty latched onto her face and head with his front claws while still holding on to the railing with his back ones. I was having a duck fit and trying to pull his claws out of her little face and head. He got her pretty good too and bless her heart she was going to have to get some stitches. She went on into the house and I managed to pull the cat off that rail and kept him at arms length of course from me, while I was still kicking dogs and finally got him back into the house.

 

    Caroline being a tough little girl in such matters wasn’t crying a bit, and when she found out about having to go get stitches, she thought it was pretty cool. I on the other hand was heartbroken. So off to the emergency room we went, Caroline, her mama and me. We set there for six hours or better to be seen; nothing like speedy service I always say. She didn’t seem to mind the wait too much; she enjoyed retelling the story to everyone there in the waiting room that would listen. All that about the cat riding the dog and the cat clawing her face, and that she was in a cat and dog fight and that the cat won. With each time she retold the story, she enjoyed telling it that much more. While we were sitting there I noticed in her little scalp a couple of claws that came off… still stuck in her head. Well this just gave her something else to add to her little story and she added it right into it very well. She seemed to be having the time of her life too, all considering of course. She was getting to be a regular storyteller and everyone there was having a good time listening to her tell them. Everyone in there was either sick or injured, but I like to think that it helped them feel a little better. It did help pass the time away anyhow.

 

    They finally did call us back after that long wait and cleaned up her wounds and were getting ready to sew her up, while the whole time she was telling her story again this time to the doctor. Each time it grew some more, the story that is. The doctor laid here back and gave her a shot to numb the area in her face. Now just like most kids, she didn’t like needles one bit, so she wasn’t too happy about that part of it. So when the doctor started to do the stitching up of her face, she turned her eyes and tried to watch it as best as she could. For some reason she found that fascinating to watch but it was still a little painful for her. The doctor finally finished it all up and put a big bandage on her face and this she though was neat looking too, and she wore that bandage with honor. It was a regular “Red Badge of Courage” to her. Everywhere we went she would retell the story about the cat riding the dog, stitches, the claws in her head and the whole bit.  And then she would want to show everybody her new stitches.

 

  That happened years ago and the story doesn’t come up that much now. But I can tell you one thing, Rusty never tries to venture outside anymore, he’ll stand at the door or look out the window every now and then, but that’s about as far as he’ll go.  

© 2010 T. L. O'Neal


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really enjoyed this story, Terry. Your southern flair for finding humor in bad situations really comes through. Rusty...lol..I could see him riding that red tick hound...hah. The way you tell the story of how Caroline relished the retelling of the incident, makes me wonder if she too is a writer...good story-telling is in your genes. Again, I really liked this one =o)

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The way you tell the story, and describe what is going on around the characters is wonderful, letting the reader get the images of the activity in their own minds... I love the way you inject humor into the writing. It was as if I were sitting there while you were telling me the story, like you were talking to me as a friend.


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was so funny I laughed until I cried! T., you definitely have story telling down to an art! Not hard at all to picture the cat fluffed up "like a chimney cleaning brush", "eyes blazing"...Picturing your daughter diving in inspite of the warning while you were warring with the dogs was familiar - my youngest has the same 'fear no evil' attitude which means we've sat in ER's for hours in similar, though less entertaining, situations. Thoroughly entertaining story, and I wouldn't change a word. The local language is part of the charm. Thanks for the laugh. - Mimi.

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Awesome story! Gosh I bet that hurt a lot. The only time I've had cat claws in my face was when i lived with my brothers and two roomates in this cramped 2bed 1bath apartment ( i lived in the walk-in closet haha) What we would do was have the cats chase this lazer pointer, right across the sleeping persons face Haha so you can imagine how fun of a wake up call that was hearing and feeling cat claws popping through your cheeks and forhead at 100mph. lol Thanks for reminding me.
That's one crazy cat i can't beleive it was riding the dog like that haha! ttys.
Your friend,
Reth

Posted 17 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.

A well told story T! I am an animal lover myself, having 2 inside cats and 2 in/outside dogs(depending on how darn muddy they get.) I can totally relate to this story and it humor.
Cats always out-smart dogs, as well as us humans!

Very cute, I like this

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

I swear, you outta put these in a collection and get them published, They're awesome!

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Rusty really had a rough time of it.

I'm amazed at the depth of detail that went into this. You have a really good grasp of storytelling that stariaght forward and direc to the point.

Major thumbs up!

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Poor Rusty... and poor Caroline. This is one heck of a story, Terry. It's so detailed - and strange - that it has to be true.

"That was the scariest that cat�s ever been, the vacuum cleaner doesn�t even touch this."

Brilliant line. Great story.

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

Reminded me of the cartoon comic animal brawls; like from Heathcliff. Oh, what a fun story! I love how well your daughter took it... the claws broke off in her head! Now, even I would get a kick outta tellin' people that! I love love love how your stories always come to life. I will say, there didn't seem to much of a point, other than a good laugh, but there ain't nothin' wrong with that!

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

I found this to be quite funny! I have an indoor cat who seems to want to venture outside but the neighborhood dogs make the decision of remaining an indoor feline that much easier.. Quite funny.. i like how your daughter enjoyed telling the story and wearing the badge as if it was honorable.. great read

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.

First off, this is a light, pleasant, and funny piece, and I love the voice you use, almost like you're sitting at a bar or at a dinner table telling the story in the most colloquial of voices. My only thing is that you kinda lose the point of the anecdote at the end. In a way, I was expecting you to wrap it up with how this impacted your daughter's life in some way, how maybe, you and her still chuckle about it to this day. Instead, you went back to the cat. In all truth, I find your daughter, in the context of this story, the more interesting part. The story is fine as it is, but if you rewrite and specifically focus on your daughter, you could have a great one on your hands.

Posted 17 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

656 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 16, 2008
Last Updated on October 24, 2010

Author

T. L. O'Neal
T. L. O'Neal

In the sticks, NC



About
I started writing as a way to work out my feelings and found that I enjoyed it very much. I enjoy humor and feel that you can find it in most things, even though it may be hard to find at the moment. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..