Tracking Pigeons

Tracking Pigeons

A Story by Jacob Clifford

            “God, I hate pigeons.”

            I looked at her. She had her eyes on the streets, watching those damn birds stalk closer and closer.

            “I know you do.”

            One particularly fat pigeon waddled over to our table and pecked at her shoe. She kicked the air next to it. The pigeon cooed and scurried off to rejoin its gang.

            “Why can’t those things just leave me alone! They’ve been following us all over town.”

            “They must like sweet things.” I put my hand on top of hers.

            “Har har.” She sighed and ran her hands through her thick blonde hair. I couldn’t help but smile. The ring in my pocket seemed to weigh a ton. I wanted nothing more than to bring it out, but I couldn’t. Not here.

            “If they’re bothering you so much, we can go somewhere else, Angie.”

            She gave me a half smile. “Sure.”

            We stood and made for the streets. As we neared the birds, one took to the air in a flather of gray and white, missing her face by just an inch.

            “S**t!” She looked at me. “Frickin’ birds, man! They sure know how to ruin a girl’s time, huh?”

            “Sure do.” I took her hand again. “Don’t let them bother you. C’mon.”

            A few steps further, we had to wait for traffic. I stole a glance at her. She looked back and smiled. That beautiful, happy smile. Those deep blue eyes. I found my hand in my pocket.

            “Angie. . .”

            She frowned and looked above my head. “Hey! It’s that damn pigeon that almost attacked me.”

            I followed her gaze. There was a plump bird sitting on a branch overhead. “Um . . . Yeah, looks like it.” I cleared my throat. “Look, Angie, there’s--”

            “Why can’t these things just go away!”

            “Angie--”

            “Seriously, what is it about those things?”

            “ANGIE!”

            She blinked.

            “Sorry, I just . . . There’s something I really need to ask you.”

            “Oh. Of course.”

            For the third and hopefully final time, I took her hand. “Angie.” I swallowed. “I thought it mattered where I told you this. I’ve been trying to find the perfect place, and the perfect time. But then I realize it didn’t matter. The only thing that matters is that you make me happier than I ever thought was possible.” I took the ring out of my pocket and got down on one knee. “And if you let me, I’ll spend the rest of my life trying to make you just as happy.” I took a shaky breath. “Angie. Will you marry me?”

            She blinked rapidly, a tear running down the left side of her face. She opened her mouth to speak, and the pigeon took flight. As it passed over her head, a white blob fell from it and landed straight in Angie’s mouth.

© 2017 Jacob Clifford


Author's Note

Jacob Clifford
I just can't find my groove lately. I'm not happy with anything I write. Regardless, I appreciate any and all feedback.

P.S. Thanks to Andronicus for coming up with the word "Flather" in her story "Homing Pigeons", in my opinion, a much better story involving pigeons.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hey Clifford, thought I was having deja vu when I saw the title but your story is entirely different and I'm pleased that my word made it's way in there. And thanks for the credit. I'm really enjoying these flash fiction pieces with a twist in the tail. So while maybe you haven't found your 'groove' you're still producing some great writing and your style is still making a distinct appearance in each. I like the believable characters and their dialogue. This was a sweet piece. (until the bitter end) ;) Thanks for sharing Clifford.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

This story's been on my mind ever since I read your pigeon story. I finally got around to creating i.. read more



Reviews

Good story. Nice writing. If you are off your game, I can't tell. Did not expect the ending though...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

I was hoping for the ending to be surprising. Thanks for reading.
You kill me! I always read author's notes first, so my expectations were low . . . but this is hilarious & brilliantly written! You are so good at painting everyday scenes in a way that feels authentic, but also with just enuf extra oomph so that a reader has the sense all this normalcy is going to pop pretty soon. I love your style. You don't even need to be hammering on all cylinders. Your astute way of seeing the world is woven into your always appealing writing! (((HUGS)))

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

Thank you for a glowing review. I'm glad people seem to be enjoying this story. Thanks as always for.. read more
Hey Clifford, thought I was having deja vu when I saw the title but your story is entirely different and I'm pleased that my word made it's way in there. And thanks for the credit. I'm really enjoying these flash fiction pieces with a twist in the tail. So while maybe you haven't found your 'groove' you're still producing some great writing and your style is still making a distinct appearance in each. I like the believable characters and their dialogue. This was a sweet piece. (until the bitter end) ;) Thanks for sharing Clifford.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

This story's been on my mind ever since I read your pigeon story. I finally got around to creating i.. read more
HAHAHAHA!
I thought this was a really funny piece of flash fiction. I think what would make it funnier would be if you built it up more.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

I agree with you there. I probably would have built it up more, but it took me an hour and a half ju.. read more
Lexi Melton

6 Years Ago

Have you ever tried the 100 themes? I like doing those whenever I get into a slump. It's a hundred o.. read more
Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

That's an intriguing idea. Thanks for mentioning that.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

433 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 3, 2017
Last Updated on August 6, 2017

Author

Jacob Clifford
Jacob Clifford

MN



About
Thank you, my Cafe family, for all that you have done for me. This has been a wonderful period of my life. If any of you ever want to reach me, feel free to send me an email at [email protected]... more..

Writing
Cracked Cracked

A Story by Jacob Clifford