Looking Through The Fence

Looking Through The Fence

A Story by Bailey C. Writing
"

Tess is inspired by a hard situation.

"
He chose the swings today, she observes. 
Tess watches the little boy, Tristan, choose a swing placed relatively higher up. He stretches out his skinny arms and tightly grasps the rusty chains. He tries to pull himself up onto the swing, and Tess can see his face turning tomato red. Tristan is scowling, making sounds of frustration while his shaggy, auburn hair gets blown into his face by the wind. When he falls on his bottom a third time, he tears up. Giving up, he storms off to the other side of the playground, and Tess slowly traces his path on the outside of the fence. She wants nothing more than to jump the fence, put him on that swing, and push him to his little hearts content. She remembers the time years ago when she could have. She continues to subtly watch Tristan attempt his next adventure: trying and failing to scale up a wide-birthed oak tree. She can't help but smile, happy to see he still has a sense of adventure and stubborn determination. 
Three years earlier, close to Tristan's fourth birthday, Tess had been babysitting him while her mom and her mom's boyfriend had to work. Tristan was being fussy, how babysitting sessions always began with him until he focused on playing rather than his father being absent. Tess had decided to walk to the church a block away from the house. With Tristan's sweaty little hand clenched tight with hers, they walked in the humid summer weather to the church, where the only attraction was a decent sized grassy hill. That was all that was needed though. Tristan adored that hill, and often acted out daring adventures filled with cops and robbers, Spiderman and Green Goblin, monster and little boy. He also liked to think he was invincible, and curled into a ball at the top of the hill, and proceeded to "roll" down. It was really just him doing a weird crawl down the hill, but Tess always had to laugh at his enthusiasm. That particular day, though, Tristan lost his footing and actually rolled a little ways down the hill, hitting his head and covering his knees and shorts with dirt and grass stains. He had burst into tears, and Tess panicked, picking him up and awkwardly rubbing his head. She carried him back home.
Ten minutes later, she had to tell him to stop jumping from couch to couch.
Tristan had always had so much energy. But now two years later, Tess observes through the elementary school's fence that while Tristan still retains the qualities she loved best about him, his eyes don't have that happy sparkle anymore. He also seemed to be growing thinner over the past month or two. Tess is growing more concerned, and this is why she keeps an eye on him when she could; his outside playtime with his kindergarten class on Fridays, right before school got out.
The bell lets out its usual shrill ring, signaling the oncoming crowd of tired children and aggravated parents. Tess quickly melts into the crowd, blending in with older siblings forced to drag young children home. After what seemed like an eternity, she finally sees the car pull up.
She doesn't recognize the young woman in the driver's seat. She must have been another poor sucker that agreed to help Casey. Casey is in the passenger seat, slumped down with her bangs over her eye. 
She got a haircut. Tess raises her eyebrow as Casey fails to get her companion to be the one that  gets out of the car. Casey climbs out, and Tess has to cover her mouth to restrain a loud gasp.
Casey looks as terrible as usual, too skinny, pasty pale, eyes (the only visible one anyway) with dilated pupils and bloodshot veins. Besides being the poster woman for what drugs can do to a person, Tess notices that Casey has a gigantic, grotesque, purple blotch of a bruise on her right forearm. The underside of her left arm has a long, swollen gash. When the wind blows, Casey's bangs are lifted over her eye, and Tess sees a half-healed black eye.
Tess feels the tears brimming in her eyes, and watches as Casey stalks over to Tristan and picks him up. Tristan's face contorts into some of the most potent misery Tess has ever seen. 
"Mommy, I'm hungry." she hears Tristan say as they pass by her, unnoticed.
"I'll see what I can do." Casey mutters, strapping Tristan into the car seat incorrectly. 
Tess feels helpless watching them drive away, and she finally lets the tears out. She used to help look out for Tristan, used to watch as her mom helped Tristan's dad fight for full custody so Tristan wouldn't have to endure his mother's felon boyfriend beating her up, and so he could have food on the table every night...so he wouldn't have to be around a cracked out mother. But after Tess's mom and Tristan's dad broke up, she hasn't spoken to them or gotten to really see Tristan since. And things seem to be going downhill for the little boy. Tess's heart is broken, and breaks more every day for the little boy she loves like the little brother she never had. 
Tess wipes her tears and takes a deep breath. She slowly starts the walk home, staring at the sidewalk.
A few days later, Tess declares her Social Work major, after she was unable to decide on a major for months.

© 2014 Bailey C. Writing


Author's Note

Bailey C. Writing
This is based off of a true story. Constructive criticism please.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think the fact that it's based on a true event is what makes this story so compelling. You can tell that the emotions were real and authentic. The descriptions were pretty good. Accurate enough to help the reader come up with a vivid mental picture. Overall, I liked it and I couldn't find any flaws in it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bailey C. Writing

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!!



Reviews

what a emotional piece. thoroughly enjoyed it. a good entry for my contest indeed.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bailey C. Writing

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much :) I've got my fingers crossed
Your writing skills are extremely good. The story is compelling and heart warming. It's sad to think this sort of thing is more common than one thinks. Great job.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bailey C. Writing

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much, that means a lot :) And yes, it's unfortunate :/
I think the fact that it's based on a true event is what makes this story so compelling. You can tell that the emotions were real and authentic. The descriptions were pretty good. Accurate enough to help the reader come up with a vivid mental picture. Overall, I liked it and I couldn't find any flaws in it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bailey C. Writing

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!!
Bailey, your work is an exemplary example of stability and poise. You have delicately captured the tenderness and warmth of Tess's affection for Tristan and portrayed it with subtle elegance. The background of Tess's relationship with Tristan helps readers connect to the characters and builds an understanding of the story. The tale gradually develops and gets better with every line which not only keeps the reader interested but also commands respect. Oeuvre well defined and an outstanding piece dwelling on sentiments.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Bailey C. Writing

10 Years Ago

Wow, this made me misty eyed. Thank you so much, this means the world to me. Bravo to you for being .. read more
amazing story, i like the fact how the girls experience helped her picked a major!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Justin

10 Years Ago

your welcome, the more stories u write the more i will read
Bailey C. Writing

10 Years Ago

Thank you!! When I'm home from work today, I'll be reading some of yours also :) You made my day, th.. read more
Justin

10 Years Ago

your welcome, that is what friends do!!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

709 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 24, 2014
Last Updated on April 8, 2014
Tags: social work, children, abuse

Author

Bailey C. Writing
Bailey C. Writing

Detroit, MI



About
~ Heart of fire, mind of ice ~ I'm Bailey. I'm a twenty-four year old social worker near Detroit, Michigan. I love to read, and obviously I love to write. If you've ever seen a piece/writing .. more..

Writing