An Etude

An Etude

A Poem by Moi

Melancholia! and as if by magic

you are a boy
with greasy hay for hair and eyes like soft, saturated coffee grounds.
A pretty pair of burnt cheeks,
and lips plush and good, stuffed with song. They are
purses of genius. Do you see how life is like a leaf? Made just thus
 
that my eyes like two raindrops have to, must come to the tip?
Must look at you
and bead up in wet? You are a beautiful spice
from some other world. How righteously you believe love
is unreal, how righteously I would defend any nail
from your pudgy toes; how unfit for the other we are.
 
I am on fire, and you’d never play with matches. Yet,
only if you did
my clever, clever kid, what music, guitar strings like valley
after valley of flowers, you’d make.
Sometimes I think you’re an egg, and that I must hatch you,
but I never find myself any artifice to successfully warm you up.
 
My yeast, my yeast, you’ll never rise because of me. So now, my sluggish boy,
so-so now, my sleepy-eyed half-smiler, we dart away from t’other.
The nightly turns of your face in my sleep halt, and
burn through to black; I won’t see you. Why bother stoking
unanswerable fires.
I too can be sad and sensible.
 
I go into my hole for words and work,
and you do whatever it is you will, shimmering away.
The trembling summarizes: I think on you less, and less, and like
the farmer's son waving at the American leaving the peasant village, and I stand up singularly,
in a world you made seem backward and stupid,
hungering for your difference. But I can’t pronounce your name; I can’t call you back.

© 2008 Moi


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow. You have a great instrument for poetry. Very well written. Very honest and open.

One night I saw a look of frustration on someones face. I was a teenager and he was a young man in his twenties. He tried to talk to me, but I was afraid because I didn't know myself well enough to open up. I doubted his intentions. Perhaps they weren't what I would have accepted, but I could have shown enough respect to find out. I learned from that encounter. Your poem reminded me of that night.

Thank you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this is gorgeous. one of the poems i struggled with choosing for my top 5 in my little contest. its timeless - reading it one doesnt know if you are 14 years old or 40. your imagery is brilliant. i cant stop reading it. i cant stop sinking into it - it's priceless. ok - this will sound ridiculous, but every word is almost unnecessary, because i see it, and feel it, and smell the "spice". its untouchable. un-wordable - but you put it into words, and it moves me every time i read it. i cant wait to read more of you work. thank you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This had a very old world feel to it, a writer from the pass, lots of color and flare to your work.

Nice job

Thanks for entering my contest and the very best of luck to you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


i enjoyed this becuase it's very different from most of the stuff i see on this sight- it felt very old fasioned to me, in a good way. the descriptions and adjectives you used were very original and new- and i had to really focus to see it all in my mind. i liked the general outcome, great work!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

allusive and intelligent - your poetry was so chalked full of goodies that i can skip the midnight snack and go straight to bed. your avatar made me question but the fact of your writing sat me back down. way to reinforce the most popular cliche, you know book and cover.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. You have a great instrument for poetry. Very well written. Very honest and open.

One night I saw a look of frustration on someones face. I was a teenager and he was a young man in his twenties. He tried to talk to me, but I was afraid because I didn't know myself well enough to open up. I doubted his intentions. Perhaps they weren't what I would have accepted, but I could have shown enough respect to find out. I learned from that encounter. Your poem reminded me of that night.

Thank you.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

287 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 5, 2008
Last Updated on August 20, 2008

Author

Moi
Moi

About
I have a head of spiral staircases, ten goofy fingers, and delicious mud-pie eyes. I try to write a little bit of everything, don't we all? more..

Writing
Plasir d'Amour Plasir d'Amour

A Poem by Moi



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..