Barbeques and Miscommunication

Barbeques and Miscommunication

A Chapter by Taylor M.
"

Dean and Sam invite some friends to Bobby's for a barbeque, but they aren't talking about the burgers when they realize they might have bitten off more than they can chew.

"

     Avoiding the Apocalypse seemed like something to celebrate. That might be the reason why Dean dusted off Bobby's old grill, or why they had set up picnic tables in the usually empty and dusty junk yard outside of Bobby's house. Dean, of course, had been the one to suggest hosting a barbeque, and Sam was easily convinced. Besides, after saving the world, Sam figured he deserved to relax. Unfortunately for Sam, Dean was inviting friends. That seemed like such a strange word, 'friends', because he wasn't really used to casually talking about the strange people that had helped them stop the end of the world. Dean had told Sam to invite people while he picked up the food, and Sam had sighed and rolled his eyes, but also picked up the phone and dialed the respective numbers.

 

   The Doctor

 

    "Yes, hello? Is this Jenese? I'm sorry about the wedding, that really wasn't my horse-"

 

    "No, Doctor. It's me, Sam. We were wondering if you might wanna... come to a barbeque?"

 

    "Sounds lovely! What year?"

 

    "Two-thousand and fifteen."

 

    "Alright, I'll go. I hope it isn't black tie..."

 

     ~Click~

 

     "Doctor? Doctor? Okay, bye."

 

 

 

   Sherlock Holmes

 

    "Who is this and what do you want?"

 

    "It's um, Sam. From the Apocalypse?"

 

    "Oh yes. What is it this time?"

 

    "Dean and I are having a barbeque, and you're invited."

 

    "I am in the middle of London."

 

    "One of the Angels can get you."

 

    "Oh fine. I'll be in my flat, John will be with me."

 

    "He can come too, the more the merrier."

 

    "Right, goodbye."

   

    "Uh, goodbye."

 

        ~Click~

 

 

     After the tables were set up, and plastic checkered tablecloths were spread across the old wood, Dean sent Castiel to get Sherlock. The detective appeared un-amused and unfazed by the sudden change of location, but the shorter blond man next to him was wide-eyed and stumbling.

 

"Hello." Sherlock said simply, his British accent a change in the normally all-American household. John just gave a small wave and stuck close to his friend, like a scared child at a family reunion.

 

"Hey." Dean called from the grill, and Sam offered a friendly smile and a nod. Sherlock Holmes was dressed for autumn, and the almost chilly breeze was ruffling his black curls as he sat down on the edge of one of the tables, John close behind.

 

"So, who else is coming, then?" John asked, sitting next to Sherlock. The former army doctor found he wished he had brought some tea along. Sam looked up from his book.

 

"Just the Doctor." He answered, then shrugged and wondered where and when the TARDIS would appear next. Sherlock and Castiel were getting into a really complicated conversation about ancient Rome when there was the sound of scraping, grinding machinery. Sam, Dean, Castiel, John, and Sherlock all knew what that sound meant, and pretty soon there was a blue box sitting squarely next to Dean and the grill. There were a few minutes of awkward silence and the sizzling of cooking meat before the seemingly wooden doors flung open.

 

"Howdy gang!" The Doctor shouted playfully, slapping Dean on the back and flashing Sam a large grin, completely oblivious to Sherlock rolling his eyes. Castiel was trying to act like he wasn't there when the Doctor wrapped his long arms around the squirming Angel.

 

"Cassie! I haven't seen you in so long!" The Timelord tutted, and Castiel couldn't help but smile lightly. The Doctor understood Castiel, because the ancient alien knew all about leaving and killing ones own kind. The deep set sadness in the Doctor's eyes was mirrored in Castiel's, and Castiel understood the Doctor, as well. They were both old, both sad, and both tired. None of that mattered right now, when Dean was staring with raised eyebrows and Sam was smiling like he knew a secret nobody else did.

 

"Hello, Doctor." Castiel replied simply, and melted into the embrace before pulling away. The Doctor winked and patted Castiel on the shoulder before moving to Sherlock.

 

"How's the Great Detective?" The Doctor asked good-heartedly, and Sherlock eyed him up and down before responding.

 

"Lot's of new cases. More for the government then Lestrade, these days." Sherlock sighed as he finished, and the Doctor just nodded like he knew exactly what Sherlock is talking about, and maybe he did.

 

"John Watson!", the Doctor began, "How've you been?" John grinned.

 

"Oh, good. Not easy, living with this nut." John said, but his voice had a loving tint to it as he nudged his best friend, the kind of tint that wives would use when talking about husbands. Sherlock can't help but smile.

 

"Food's done!" Dean shouted, and he carries three plates to the tables, each one stacked with hotdogs, hamburgers, and chicken. Dean sat on the edge opposite to Sherlock, and Castiel sat next to Dean. The Doctor chose a seat on the other side of Castiel, Sam sat down at the other table, and Dean sent him a questioning glance.

 

"You gonna join us, Sammy?" Dean asks. Sam looks up from his paper plate, plastic fork piled high with the fruit salad that the Doctor had brought.

 

"Well, I was expecting someone." Sam answered.

 

"Who?" Dean asked. Sherlock and the others just watched with curiosity and confusion. Sam didn't get to answer, because he was interrupted by a loud voice across the table from his tall figure.

 

"Heya, muttonheads!" Dean's eyes widened, so did Castiel's, and the Doctor looked purely amused. Gabriel was perched on the other side of Sam's picnic table, eyes glittering and his lips pulled into a grin.

 

"Gabriel?" Dean asked, anger shading his voice. "You invited that dick?" Gabriel raised a hand to his mouth in mock surprise.

 

"You don't like me, Deano? Whatever shall I do?" Gabriel said, his tone a bit too high for Dean's liking.

 

"Whatever." Dean muttered. The Doctor was looking at Gabriel in what might have been awe. 

 

"Gabriel?" The Doctor asked. "You don't mean..." He said slowly, and Gabriel winked at him.

"The one and only." Gabriel answered the question that the Doctor didn't get to ask. The Doctor just slowly nodded and put more ketchup on the hotdog held loosely in his long fingers. Gabriel snapped and his plate was in front of him, a piece of chicken and a beer. Sam raised an eyebrow, as if to ask 'no candy?', and Gabriel smiled as if to answer 'this is a barbeque'. After dinner, the sky was getting dark, and the Doctor offered them a ride in the TARDIS.

 

"Where to?" Sam had asked, and the Doctor had replied, "Anywhere." Now they were in the console room, and the Doctor was flipping switches and turning dials. When the violent shaking stopped, the Doctor opened the doors dramatically. Both humans and angels alike gasped at the sight. The Doctor had taken them to the creation of the earth. The TARDIS was parked on an asteroid, and the Doctor beckoned for his friends to join him as he stepped out of the ship.

 

"There's oxygen, the TARDIS supplies that for us." He explained, grabbing Castiel by the wrist and pulling him out of the box. Gabriel did the same thing to Sam, and soon John, Sherlock, and Dean were the only ones left, calmly exiting the spaceship. Or rather, as calmly as they could while a planet was forming in front of them. The Doctor and Castiel sat down to watch, and Sam and Gabriel decided to stand. Gabriel was sucking a lollipop, too busy talking to enjoy the view, but Sam didn't mind. Sam wondered if that was weird, that Gabriel's voice was more interesting to him than the earth, but he dismissed it. Castiel was watching with wide eyes, and the Doctor gave the silent Angel a concerned look when Castiel's eyes brimmed with tears.

 

"Castiel?" The Doctor asked gently, and Castiel looked up at him, his mouth slightly open.

 

"My Father created this." Castiel whispered, and the Doctor understood.

 

"Yes he did, Castiel." The Doctor agreed. Normally, he would argue about that point, but not when Castiel looked like he might cry at any moment. Castiel didn't answer, he just rested his head on the Doctor's shoulder. The Doctor wondered if Angels needed comfort, and he shifted slightly to send a questioning look at Gabriel. Castiel's older brother just nodded in response, and he led Sam and the others to watch from a distance. The Doctor kissed the top of Castiel's head, and they watched the earth in silence. Sherlock was already back inside the TARDIS, he still tried to figure out the thing worked. John followed him, with Dean talking to him about cars, so that it was just The Doctor, Castiel, Gabriel, and Sam still on the large lump of rock. Gabriel was still talking, and Sam listened.

 

"So I had to tell him, Sammy. Well, I did, and then the big one acts like it was all my fault..." Gabriel chatters, and Sam watches his lips as he forms the words. Finally, he swoops in for a kiss. It was just a peck on the lips, and the Archangel deserved it for all his innuendoes and acting like him and Sam were dating at every opportunity. Gabriel yelped as Sam's mouth covered his, and Sam pulled back quickly, as if he had been burned.

 

"I'm sorry." Sam stuttered, his cheeks were a bright red. He expected to be smote at any moment. Gabriel just gave him his signature smirk.

 

"If you wanted a kiss, Sam, you could of just asked." Gabriel said teasingly. The Archangel snapped his fingers, and him and Sam were gone, back at Bobby's, they had decided that they had had enough of space, and the cozy guest bedroom would suit their needs perfectly. That just left The Doctor and Castiel outside of the TARDIS. Castiel's eyes were open, but the tears had long since gone. The Doctor's eyes were closed, and Castiel tapped him lightly on the shoulder.

 

"Hm?" The Doctor hummed, his head perking up. Castiel stood up and offered a hand to help The Doctor up, and he accepted in gratefully.

 

"We should go now, Doctor." Castiel said quietly, and if he was embarrassed about earlier, he didn't show it. Together, hand in hand, the Lonely God and the Angel of the Lord walked towards the TARDIS, eyes full of sadness and minds full of torturing memories, but hearts only full of each other.



© 2013 Taylor M.


Author's Note

Taylor M.
SORRY ABOUT ALL OF THE DOCTIEL

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Vic
GUAH YOU KNOW I SHIP DESTIEL! :3 I thought Doctiel was a phase! By the way please continue. I'm bored without your fanfictions. And hurry up with that chapter three from earlier!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Taylor M.

10 Years Ago

Glad to know I amuse you, but if you don't like my ships that I write about for other members of the.. read more
Vic

10 Years Ago

Well you know I can't spell. Anyways I don't mind it, but maybe in another chapter Dean could be a .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

448 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 15, 2013
Last Updated on July 15, 2013
Tags: supernatural, doctor who, sherlock, superwholock


Author

Taylor M.
Taylor M.

Surrey, United Kingdom



About
I am a young writer who wants to be heard. I am a Whovian, and a Sherlockian. I hope you enjoy my writing, because I often get ambarassed by my work. I mostly write about romance, heart-break, suspens.. more..

Writing