Bippity Boppity Boom

Bippity Boppity Boom

A Story by Crystal Lynn
"

Cinderella gets a re write

"

 

 

     It would be years before anyone even asked me about Cinderella's story.  Most people believed the story woven by the town criers, the same one told by the Brother's Grimm some years later.  It is the same story told to little girls everywhere, to give them something to believe in, that magic exists in a mundane world and that there is still good in it.

     It's a harmless enough cover.  When the royal officers searched my palace, they found nothing.  They asked me no questions, simply tipped their hats, saying, "Thank ye m'um.  If you hear from her, let us know."  Something in my eyes told them they were right not to ask for my alibi or my witness account of the previous night's events.  Thus, I was forced to assume the role of the wicked stepmother to the virtuous, hardworking, and mistreated Cinderella.  Until now, no one has ever questioned history's account of my character or that fateful night.

     Now, it's true that Cinderella did have a lot of chores; it's true she had a not-so-easy life.  What never made it into the fairy tale is that she earned every bit of it.  There were many nights when I'd catch her exchanging packages with the despicable Fairy Godmother--I'll get to her later-- or running off behind the stables with a messenger or royal officer.  So you see, she brought much of her misfortune on herself.

     The Fairy Godmother, as I was saying, is not the kind, matronly figure history has labled her as.  The harsh truth is that she was a dealer.  Anyone would be all too eager to call her The Godmother for just an ounce of her special brand of Fairy Dust, and of course, this was only one of her special wares.  As her name suggested, Cinderella was often caught up in cinders and soot.  I was the only one who knew that her fascination with smoke had nothing to do with cleaning the fireplace.

     It was for these reasons I had to keep her well out of the public eye.  She was a disgrace--to her father's name and my own.  If anyone ever found out about her dangerous, provocative behavior, I'd never be able to show my face at another ball or banquet ever again.  My girls and I would be cast off the social ladder for good.  I had to keep her locked up.

     It didn't always work.  I tried to keep her in her attic-bedroom whenever she wasn't doing chores, but inevitably one of those disease-ridden rats or feral pidgeons would find a way out, chew out a hole or something like that, I guess.  I couldn't keep up with her.  I wasn't a young maiden anymore, after all.

     When the invitation to the Prince's ball came, I knew it was out of the question for her to go.  She would--more-than-likely--wind up drinking too much ale and exposing her wrists or worse.  I shuddered at the thought.  There was no way Lady Marcus or Lady Darnam would ever let me live down the shame.  No, no.  I couldn't allow her to go.

     The night of the ball came, and it was with a heavy heart that I waved goodbye to Cinderella, locking her in the manor, as my girls and I left for the ball.  I truly would have loved to give her everything her father would have, but she simply made it too difficult.  I knew her outrageous habits were in response to his death, and I tried to understand.  Nonetheless, she was not coming to this ball.  I never dreamed she would find a way out, let alone make it to the ball.

     As it turned out, The Godmother owed Cinderella a favor for corroborating her story during the drug bust of 1562.    Cinderella arrived in a pumpkin to the ball.  The indignity of it made me sick.  Had she no shame at all?  Her dress, at least, was modest, and she did wear gloves, thank the Lord Almighty.  It was her shoes that bothered me, however.  They were made of crystal.  I didn't trust what kind of crystal that might be.

     I stood there gaping at her, outraged at their nerve., but no one seemed to recognize her, so I kept my mouth shut.  It was all very well for her to continue on her merry way, but soon she took it too far.  She began seducing his Highness, bold as you please!  And he was falling for her!  They twirled around and around the dance floor and right on out the door--the scandal!

     I tried to remain calm and enjoy the remainder of my evening.  It wasn't easy.  At the stroke of midnight, I was alarmed but sudden, panicked screaming.  I rushed outside to join many other ball-goers to see what in the world could cause such a commotion.  That infernal pumpkin was set ablaze with flames fifteen feet high or more.  It took hours to extinguish completely.  The single item left uncharred was a glass slipper.  There were absolutely no remains of the pumpkin's occupants, which had presumably been Cinderella and the Prince.

     I was devastated to say the least.  It was hard to comprehend that she was actually gone, that she would never plague my household with her reputation ever again.  I was shocked to find I had been fond of the little brat.  I would miss her...in a very small way.

     It's still a mystery exactly what happened that night.  The cover-up story doesn't help.  I don't hold any grudges against the people who judge me.  I know the truth--or most of it at least--and that's enough for me.

     That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

 

 

© 2008 Crystal Lynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

hahaha...what a twist~!
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it."
LOL~! definately, stick to something that makes you look good...always

Posted 15 Years Ago


hahaha love the crystal part. Writing style is great love it!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Des
Wow. Magnificent. Brilliant. Amazingly written. Absolutely fantastic. I love it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


THIS IS PERFECT
IT held my attention from beginning to end! I loved it! To my library this piece does go! Good luck in the Sleeping White Contest! Cheers,lea

Posted 15 Years Ago


hahaha LMAO! Wonderful write! hahaha As Paul Harvey would've said, "And that's The Rest Of The Story".

Posted 15 Years Ago


NICE!!! lol i like this alot it's excatly what i asked for, in this contest. Good job.

Danni J

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is brilliant!

I think it might be possible, with a little research, to make the matron sound more from her time period. She sounds too modern, like a modern day stepmom, except for the notions about exposing wrists and such, which are quite humorous.

Other than some typographical errors that are easily corrected (although they should have been before this was posted) I really like this piece!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 7, 2008
Last Updated on May 9, 2008

Author

Crystal Lynn
Crystal Lynn

Tempe, AZ



About
When other girls wanted to be ballerinas, I kinda wanted to be a pirate. more..

Writing
You. You.

A Poem by Crystal Lynn