Orwell is Fashionably Late

Orwell is Fashionably Late

A Story by Crystal Lynn


“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face--forever.”
--from 1984 by George Orwell

 

       “Big Brother is watching you.” And he’s not the only one. In today’s society, we’ve acclimated to surveillance cameras watching our every move in department stores, gas stations, and ATMs. They’re there to scan for criminal activity, to protect the innocent. Surveillance couldn’t possibly be abused and used to intrude on America’s right to privacy, could it? George Orwell imagined a totalitarian dystopia in his novel 1984, where the government monitors everything, the minutest detail of citizens’ lives are kept in check. Government controls what the people say, what they do, even what they think. It sounds scary, but it’s purely fiction, so no need to be concerned…yet. Surveillance today precariously tip- toes on the dangerously fine line between enough information and too much information. The Bush administration has not yet mastered the art of mind reading, but new security measures enforced by the USA PATRIOT Act have recently tightened their chokehold on Americans’ right to privacy.
       “There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guess work” (Orwell 6). We don’t live in the Orwellian society, and 1984’s forecast did not arrive on time, but nearly twenty- five years later, we’re swiftly moving towards that dystopia. Section 215 of the Patriot Act gives the FBI access to an unlimited number of personal records without needing probable cause. In addition, Bush signed a not-so- secret order in 2002 to allow the National Security Agency to tap into phone calls and to view e-mails of people inside the U.S. without needing a search warrant. It’s disconcerting to know that a third person may be listening to you gossiping about your neighbors’ marital problems or to you spilling your grandmother’s secret recipe. 
       Of course, this is not what Patriot Act was intended to do. As White House strategist Karl Rove told the Republican National Committee in January of 2006, “President Bush believes if al-Qaeda is calling somebody in America, it is in our national security interest to know who they're calling and why .” This is certainly a valid argument. However, these measures have not led to the arrest of any actual terrorist and have only succeeded in giving America a serious, and not all together unjustified, case of paranoia. The new security was supposedly meant to help, yet so far it has only managed to trample America’s private life.
       Phone tapping is just the beginning. Under Section 213, the government can conduct searches of an individual’s home or office. They can take pictures, seize property and even collect DNA samples--all without informing the person. These procedures are drastic, yet it’s considered unpatriotic to be less than enthusiastic about the government completely eradicating your civil rights in the name of national security. If you’re not involved in terrorism, you should have nothing to hide, but that doesn’t mean you want complete strangers to know about your embarrassing skin affliction or that you still sleep with a nightlight.
       Even what you read is suspect to be considered “civil disobedience,” which judging from news reports is “expressing an opinion contrary to the president’s” (Colson). Section 215 of the Patriot Act allows the FBI to access libraries’ circulation records and forbids library personnel to tell their cardholders that any information has been seized. And if it’s all based on having a contrary opinion to the president’s then we should do away with the popular children’s series Harry Potter because the president doesn’t believe in wizardry. If the president says two plus two equals five, then there go all the math textbooks. It wouldn’t be long before we’re all clutching copies of The Foreign Policy of George W. Bush or God and George W. Bush.
       “Big Brother is watching you.” But don’t worry: His omnipotent eye is there to nurture, to protect. Big Brother loves you, his country. His constant screening of your every action, every word at any given moment isn’t scary…is it? When Big Brother’s warm embrace morphs into strangulation, a death grip seizing your civil rights, that will be truly terrifying. But it doesn’t have to become a reality. George Orwell only imagined a dystopia. It’s not too late. Orwell’s novel was far above a choose- your- own- adventure book, yet if we heed his cautions, we can still re- write the ending. All it takes is an informed America, an America not living in the dark. After all, even if you choose not to watch Big Brother, Big Brother is still watching you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Works Cited

Colson, Nicole. “Big Brother is Watching You.” SocialistWorker.org. 27 Jan. 2006 <http://www.socialistworker.org/2006-1/573/573_08_BigBrother.shtml>
Orwell, George. 1984. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1983.
Sanders, Bernie. “The USA PATRIOT Act: What Are You Reading?” The Baltimore Sun. 19 Jan. 2003 <http://www.commondreams.org/views03/0119-03.htm>

 

 

© 2008 Crystal Lynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
Added on May 10, 2008

Author

Crystal Lynn
Crystal Lynn

Tempe, AZ



About
When other girls wanted to be ballerinas, I kinda wanted to be a pirate. more..

Writing
You. You.

A Poem by Crystal Lynn