South of Success

South of Success

A Story by Daniel Affsprung
"

My first short story. Tip for following easily: Pay close attention to the flashbacks, and over-analyze stuff.

"


I

Victor DeGaul had always known the ocean, or at the very least, the shore, as Stone Harbor had been his home for all his 38 years. Not a large town, or a small town, he had only left it once. He knew the ocean, and he loved boats. The boat, to him, was a sort of subliminal confirmation of wealth and success. The effortless movement of a yacht represented the life of a better man; born on third base, and walked into a home run. Being a bartender for much of his life provided plenty of time to dream, as one is wont to do on a quiet evening when the seats have been abandoned for more wholesome pastimes. The sight of the shore, and the boats, was a constant and intoxicating interest. On some nights, he could catch conversation from the men of North Stone Harbor, discussing their days spent before the mast. A day was enlivened and darkened simultaneously by the intrigue and jealousy he felt towards these men and their lives. “Most of them haven't even earned it,” he would think to himself, “they only inherited their class and their money.”He needed to justify, for himself, why,deep down in his heart, he knew he would never lead a life like theirs. The richer men knew as well as he did why they didn't work, why they didn't sweat. Everything they did was effortless. Perfect and rehearsed in every way, their every move or word was flawless. He had, a few times, tried to familiarize himself with them, but these men were acutely aware of their standing, and of Victor's. No matter what comment was made about the Sunfish or the New Moon, the conversation to follow was short, and often terminated via drink order. Oh how he envied these men, these men who he could never be like.



II

His father had been a dock-worker, and had always said it was because he got seasick on boats, that he had nothing to do with them. Victor thought back often, to two memories which may have been his clearest from childhood. The first was his father returning home from a rare day off, which he had spent golfing “With some fellows I met at the docks.” Victor recalled, not asking any further questions as to who they were. Only later in his life did Victor realize and understand why his father never spent time with those men from up North again, and why that night he had heard his father crying. There was to be no further contact between his father and the other men. His other, fonder memory was of a walk with his father, one evening, down Pilot Street behind Ralph & Ann's. Just as it began to sprinkle and become chilly, he asked his father,

Why do those men sail around in the bay every summer?”

Well,” his father explained, “that's the fashionable hobby up North of here.”

They just do it for fun?” Victor said, “But aren't boats very expensive?”

Yes, but those men have plenty of money, and don't need to work very much.”

Victor remembered the words of slight resentment towards them. His father had explained to him that sailing wasn't the hobby for them, because of his seasickness, but as he grew older Victor began to question that reason's honesty. He remembered when his father had read aloud the newspaper report on Perry McPherson, whose boat The Evening Star was missing. His father made the comment about how dangerous sailing was, and how he hoped to never find a wrecked ship. Victor remembered the day when a dock-worker had found a floating piece of wood with a brass monogrammed compass, prompting P. M. 's obituary. Victor and his father often talked about Victor's hopes to one day have his own boat, and his father had always seemed distant during these talks, as if there was something he couldn't bring himself to say. Standing on Pilot Street these many years later, as little rainwater canals webbed around the cobblestone islands on which he stood, Victor wondered if his father also envied those men.


III

Victor's lucky break came from a man named Ellis, who was leaving town for the California Wine Country. His boat was quite old, and he just needed it sold for a bit of “travel money”. Even after all the many years spent gazing out at the little white triangles dancing over a dark navy stage on a warm afternoon, there was still a sense of child-like wonder about the life he might gain. Victor immediately took down a letter to his father, who now lived and worked a few towns further down the shore, as he wondered to himself how his life-savings could be spent on travel. He wrote all about the boat, the fresh orange & white paint, the size, the sails and name, every detail was excitedly catalogued as he prepared for the maiden voyage. The other men were suspicious and quietly put-off by Victor's presence that day on the docks. After several months inexpensively restoring his little craft by hand, he had never felt prouder as he stood there, in his satisfaction. She sailed as he had hoped, and Victor had the happiest day of his life way, way out in the ocean on The Vesper.


IV

Victor's father also had a strong memory, and all the thoughts of his son seemed misguided now, in the hindsight of old age. Victor, it seemed, was always too concerned with the life he didn't have, and couldn't be happy and content with his own. His father should have told him about the evils of envy and pride, and about what's important in life. He should have told the truth about why he never set foot on a yacht, and why, he thought to himself with dry, despairing humor, he would still be working at age 60. All these thoughts flew around his mind like errant gulls, and his regret clung on his shoulders like an anchor as he collapsed to his bed, remembering his son's letter. It was then, for only the second time in his adult life, that he wept, as he looked down on the tightly gripped piece of splintered wood, bearing 6 freshly painted orange and white letters.


7/24/11

© 2011 Daniel Affsprung


Author's Note

Daniel Affsprung
Not totally finished with this yet, so all criticism is welcome
Third edit

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What strikes me about this work is the prose type quality to it all! Written in true poetic fashion..and sometimes it is worth the mention of that :)
Brilliant set up...left me unsettled...in a good way..would like to read more of this!
xx

Posted 12 Years Ago


i'm back reading it again ..I love the intro...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


the story is fleshing out nicely ..more details and more adverb s....

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
4 Reviews
Added on July 25, 2011
Last Updated on September 11, 2011
Tags: Sailing, boats, tragedy, nautical, short stories
Previous Versions

Author

Daniel Affsprung
Daniel Affsprung

Lewisburg, PA



About
Interested in what people think of my writing, and what to do with it. Please contact me with your opinions, ideas, or questions. Pennsylvania more..

Writing
Smoke Smoke

A Story by Daniel Affsprung