Last Dance

Last Dance

A Story by Daniela Diaz
"

You don't appreciate what you have till it's gone.

"
After a whole life time of battle i sat at her bedside..
As they approached me to see if i was doing ok i was asked if anything could be done to make things better. 
I could only say one thing and that was "appreciate"
A young women took notice to what i had said and stepped out of the crowd. She looked at me confused and not to sure as to how to response.
I walked away and paced my mothers room, looking at all the memories left behind.
Going throughout the whole photo album realizing that not many memories were left to look at 
Then the young women followed me outside and looked at me once again and asked "appreciate? how can that make things better for you."
My response to her was simply this 
"Appreciate what you have before its gone,appreciate those you have in your life.'
I then walked back to my mothers room leaving the young women to take in what i had just said 
I walked into my mothers room before she was taken away and laid next to her and said quietly 

"To lose you has been the greatest loss and nothing  can ever replace.
To have so much to say and never get that last warm embrace.
I sit here and hold your hand knowing you can't feel mine.
i looked at your chest as you took your last breath.
Watching life escape from your very body has crush my soul
Im here wishing that i could take back time to make everything alright.
But i'm here in pain knowing that chance will never be given to me.
 but i have hopes.... hopes that i will see you again."

Getting up from that bed was the hardest thing i ever had to do. I let go of my mothers hand slowly, got up and glanced at her one last time. I then turned around and locked the door behind me.
The young women then understood exactly what i meant, Don't wait to long to start appreciating others because tomorrow is not promised... this could be our very last dance.

© 2015 Daniela Diaz


Author's Note

Daniela Diaz
Although this story talks about a mother this is a short story that i have dedicated to both my parents. I lost my dad at the age of 16 and lost my mom at the age of 19. Both different situations but gave the same exact feeling. My parents left behind 4 beautiful girls including myself of course :) I've been left with the great privilege of rising and taking care of my 3 younger sisters. Ive grown from this experience and it has made me a better person and a great mother to my sisters. In any loss of this sort theres always that hope despite anything... that hope that you will have the chance to see your loved ones once again. This story focusing on appreciating those that you have in your life before they are gone.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I am so sorry for your loss. You are a strong women to have risen from this and cared for your sister. You are beautiful inside and out. Well done. This story has a great message. APPRECIATE is so powerful.

Posted 7 Years Ago


It's a great piece of work you've written here. I always tell myself and others that you never really know what you have until it's gone. Sometimes I like to believe that I understand what it means myself but I know that nobody ever truly does until they experience genuine loss. I've kinda been going through a bit of block lately but reading this has actually helped me. Thank you for that.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Daniela Diaz

8 Years Ago

You are very welcome!
It is definitely very hard to talk about these things but when you ope.. read more
I'm so sorry about your losses, no matter how long its been nothing will make it better or rather to recover from such tragedies is not an easy task. Its beautiful that you've accepted this challenge and task(being a mom to your sisters) that life has placed for you, you're strong 'n brave.. Beautiful writing D, simply Amazing!!!
Thanx for sharing your story!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Daniela Diaz

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your words :) they mean a lot and thank you for taking the time to read it! .. read more
I'm so sorry about your losses, no matter how long its been nothing will make it better or rather to recover from such tragedies is not an easy task. Its beautiful that you've accepted this challenge and task(being a mom to your sisters) that life has placed for you, you're strong 'n brave.. Beautiful writing D, simply Amazing!!!
Thanx for sharing your story!

Posted 8 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 13, 2015
Last Updated on October 13, 2015

Author

Daniela Diaz
Daniela Diaz

Chicago, IL



About
"She always had that about her, that look of otherness, of eyes that see things much to far, and of thoughts that wander off the edge of the world.-Joanne Harris Hi i'm Daniela, Im just a 22 year .. more..

Writing