The Mirage of Runner's High

The Mirage of Runner's High

A Story by Daniel Seward
"

A story of the author's pursuit of runner's high and where that pursuit has led him.

"

                                    The Mirage of Runner's High


The first time I ran at a good pace for forty minutes after having run a couple of weeks I could not believe how good I felt.  Naturally, I thought it was good for my physical fitness.  There was no question it was good for my mental well being.

I was in college at the time and I noticed it was a great reliever from the stress of exams and papers.  I was sure the more I did the better I would feel, and that I was destined to run the rest of my life.

I kept increasing my mileage.  I added sprints.  The highs got better and better.

Then suddenly after three years of this I got burnt out.  I was reluctant to admit it at the time, but the whole experience of running had turned flat.

I desperately attempted to work even harder for my highs, but I found they eluded me.  Meanwhile, I was having to cope with injuries and boredom.

After about five years I learned to run moderately with less expectation.  Once in a while I would feel pretty good, but I was able to let it go.

I learned much later that this was actually better for my health and wellbeing than piling on the mileage and speed.

Now I'm in my fifties.  I run a couple times a week and walk fast uphill and do stairs on the other days.

I sometimes just walk fast. 

Creative thoughts come to mind even when I'm just walking.  Life is good--and when I want a high I meditate for twenty minutes in the evening.

Runner's high no longer eludes me now that I am not straining toward it.

© 2017 Daniel Seward


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on April 28, 2017
Last Updated on April 28, 2017
Tags: Running, runner's high, exercise, creativity

Author

Daniel Seward
Daniel Seward

Grand Rapids, MN



About
I like nature, running, classical music, and I read everything. I have been writing a variety of genres over the years and was hoping I could get reviewed/read by interested parties. Most of my stuf.. more..

Writing