Is Life Really Meaningless?

Is Life Really Meaningless?

A Story by Daniel Seward
"

The appeal and the horror of meaninglessness. A way out.

"

  Is Life Really Meaningless?

Most of us have wondered at some point whether life has meaning or not.  We see intelligent people disagreeing on almost everything, and we hear modern philosophers claim the meaning we think is valid is just a bunch of subjective nonsense.

Some like this idea--it means they do not have to conform to any order or ideal, and it allows them to be a hedonist/sinner without a care.

Some get very depressed.  They would like some guidance, but they cannot trust anything they hear or read.


But is life really meaningless?  To argue this we have to believe that all views are either equally valued or valueless.  I would submit that they are not.  On close examination, it is evident to me that some ways of looking at things (psychology) are healthier than others, and that some systems of government and services in society are more effective and healthier than others.  In other words there is an objective order in the world and our minds that we can discern and help to implement verses certain other fallacious states.


Unfortunately, each of us is stuck with the task of discerning that order and finding meaning in our lives by striving to facilitate it.  Even if we leave the task to someone else to decide for us, it is our choice who that person is.


The beauty of it is we have the freedom to choose (in an exact sense) what we want to do with our lives, but of course with that freedom there is a certain amount of existential angst.

© 2017 Daniel Seward


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on June 13, 2017
Last Updated on June 13, 2017
Tags: order, meaning, philosphy, happiness

Author

Daniel Seward
Daniel Seward

Grand Rapids, MN



About
I like nature, running, classical music, and I read everything. I have been writing a variety of genres over the years and was hoping I could get reviewed/read by interested parties. Most of my stuf.. more..

Writing