On the Train

On the Train

A Story by DaughterNature
"

This is what I consider my "Hemingway voice," although I mean it without pretenses.

"

Balding businessmen talking about cell phone plans, trapped for 18 months more, cracking open Daisy Cutter pale ale on the top seats of the bi-level 4:44 outbound, riding west side-ways through the sudden dark and utter chill of December 6th Chicago. The car fills with sniffles and squeaks, coughs and mild muttering.

"Oh, I like that orange-yellow we've got going on in the sunset," one says to the other, gesturing across the way out the window.

The girl puts her head over her shoulder to see the colors, then turns back toward them with a wide smile. He seems surprised she's noticed, turns back to his friend and says something about the way his dog turns its head in the same way when he says, "Squirrel." Like she can't hear him, sitting three feet away across the baggage racks. "I guess I need more beer," he chuckles to his friend.

The discussion turns to midnight movie showings at theaters, how they used to get all "liquered up" as teens to go see The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and how he's surprised that now it's teenage girls dressing up in character to see Beauty and the Beast and singing along to all the songs. "Same kind of floor show," he muses, "but a whole lot more wholesome."

The man to her left, probably no older than her, smells faintly of spiced cologne. "Good choice," she thinks, leaning into the cloud. Tasteful. It's so easy to go overboard with those things.

"Whenever I go on Taco Tuesday, I can't ever manage. I eat too much of the chips and guac."

"I think I need some more beer." And it's still not 5 o'clock in Chicago.

There's a woman on the window side of a bench seat on the bottom level playing Farmville very fast on her tablet using the butt end of a pen so the dirt won’t get under her perfectly manicured nails.

"Oh, thank you." Across the way, they crack open two more beers.

Her thumbs fly across the keyboard of her 4-year-old phone, typing words no one will read.

The night is quite complete outside, the cold so deep it quick-freezes ears and lips and noses like Hungry Man dinners. The businessmen talk of their daughters and setting up trains around the Christmas tree. She can't help but overhear, smiling at the memory of taking over the grandparents' basement with tiny metal tracks two generations old, delicate figurines and miniature freight. What did the people on those trains talk about?

© 2015 DaughterNature


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

An interesting detached depiction of a moment which seems to be isolated in time. I recommend you check out the writer Roarke on here, he does a style similar to this,,, although, bluntly put, I think he is better at it. Seeing as it is not my forte, perhaps looking over his work can help you further tweak this styled voice?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


DaughterNature

9 Years Ago

Thanks, I will definitely look at him.

Yeah, as you've probably seen, I have experiment.. read more
Nusquam Esse

9 Years Ago

That is good, by always pushing our limits, we continually improve. I don't delve to quite this ext.. read more
I'm really no literary critic so I don't know about the story being "disconnected".
I personally like the ambiance on the train and the narrator's detachment when describing the old men. just painting a picture as an outsider, though she's on the train herself.
I enjoyed the read.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 9 Years Ago


DaughterNature

9 Years Ago

Thanks so much!
Woody

9 Years Ago

you're welcome.
lots here that can be developed ... read Tegan's response and yours below so deciphered more easily ... i see you capturing a moment and i think its successful ..however .. the story is disconnected as written (just my opinion)
this stands out more than anything even after reading twice
"something about the way his dog turns its head in the same way when he says, "Squirrel." ..the cruel disregard compels an answer of some kind in my book :))) love and peace Ms. Natural
E.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


DaughterNature

10 Years Ago

Hahahaha, yes, I wanted to respond when he compared me to his squirrel, but I had no idea what to sa.. read more
Einstein Noodle

10 Years Ago

i will be looking for it :
E.
Hi Daughter... I like this one. You seem to be observing but not connected… like a stone thrown into a pond… wet, surrounded by water but not soaked, not part of the water. Nothing that’s going on influenced you beyond its occurrence… like a chronicler or watcher. I find it very interesting.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


DaughterNature

10 Years Ago

That's funny! I actually am the girl in the action (the one on her phone and looking at the sunset)... read more
Tegon Maus

10 Years Ago

For me… and I’m in my mid-sixties… it seemed the focus was on the wistful thinking of old.. read more
DaughterNature

10 Years Ago

I thought they were hilarious, and so silly that these 40-somethings couldn't wait until it was 5 o'.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

450 Views
4 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 8, 2014
Last Updated on November 2, 2015

Author

DaughterNature
DaughterNature

Chicago, IL



About
I know I'll always be learning, but ready and willing to read and review! I have been writing for about 14 years, and I have had one short story published in a magazine. I love experimenting with diff.. more..

Writing