The Figure

The Figure

A Story by David Stephen
"

A nameless figure crosses a street

"

Morning breaks. The sun reaching into the sky as a waking child wrestles with sleep. The cars had not yet started their travels and the street lights still fought against the growing sunlight. The alarms begin to chime and the showers began to run. These were the thoughts that sailed through my mind as I gazed at a lonely figure about to cross the street. 


Where he was going, only he knows. If he were a chicken I would dare to question his motives. But before the street is crossed the figure looks down, smiles and reaches for a twinkle on the ground. Twirling it top over tail, inspecting it. Only to place it quickly into a pocket before making way across the still street.


 I look away to check my watch one last time only to be interrupted a breaking of silence. A screech, a horn and the fading yells of blame. The figure, whom I had cast my gaze upon was still once more. Gazing at the penny that he had found on the floor.

 

Find a penny,

Pick it up,

All the day,

You’ll have good luck.

 

 

 

by

David Stephen

© 2017 David Stephen


Author's Note

David Stephen
if you like it let me know. This is the first short quip I have done so might do more.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on October 12, 2017
Last Updated on October 12, 2017
Tags: short story, luck, fate, silence

Author

David Stephen
David Stephen

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
I just like to write short stories that mean something deep to me and might convey meaning to those who read them. more..