This Meloncholy Tune

This Meloncholy Tune

A Story by nora
"

mk, so i got the inspirationf for this from 'flightless bird, american mouth' by iron&wine. and i used the song in this story and stuff. so anyway, enjoy :D

"

 

This Melancholy Tune
 
            Streamers and balloons decorated the walls and ceiling, making the normally grungy gym look enchanting.
 
            “Okay, we’re gonna slow it down now, so grab that special someone, and bring them to the dance floor.”
 
‘I was a quick wet boy, diving too deep for coins
All of your street light eyes wide on my plastic toys
Then when the cops closed the fair, I cut my long baby hair’
 
            The opening lines of Iron & Wine sounded through the gym, bringing smiles to all the teenage faces as they took each other’s hands and swayed to the song. A short brunette girl stood off to the side, leaning up against the wall. She was dressed in a strapless black dress with a tutu-like skirt and little black flats. The dimmed lights bounced off her gently curled hair, which fell just below her shoulders.
 
            Across the gym, a handsome boy took the hand of a red-haired girl in a flaming red dress. They swayed on the spot, his hands on her hips, and her arms around his neck. They gazed into each other’s eyes, as if meant for each other. A small smile crept across the boy’s face and he spun the red-haired beauty around.
 
            The brunette across the gym watched as he laughed softly with the other girl. Her heart ached a little and a sad smile came to her mouth, her chin trembling slightly.
 
            “He seems different,” she whispered to herself. “He seems happy.”
 
            And he was, dancing with that girl in the red dress.
 
            The brown-haired girl was lost in thought, thinking about a time when the boy might have held her like that. When he had loved her, and she had loved him. Of course, she was still in love with him. There had been a time when he might have smiled like that at her, but she knew she was only kidding herself. He had never been truly happy when with her, no matter how much he swore he was. She could tell by all the weed he had smoked, and all the razors he had used. Back then, she had thought, since they were both so fucked up, maybe they could complete each other.
 
            And he had completed her, made her happier than she ever had been, except for when she was a very small child. Back when life had been simple and she hadn’t had a care in the world except for which toy to play with. But she had never completed him, never made him happy. He was too complex, needed someone to simplify things for him, not complicate them.
 
            So now, there he was, with someone who simplified life for him. Who clearly gave a light to his eyes, gave him a real smile.
 
            “I should be happy,” the brunette whispered. “He’s happy, and that should make me happy.” But silent tears snaked down her face, leaving a trail of black mascara.
 
            She turned slowly, walking out to the hall, the gym doors banging behind her.
 
            Back against the wall opposite to the one that the brunette had been leaning on, a different boy, tall and lanky, watched. He had seen the girl in the black dress leave, seen her silent tears. He had seen her longing, sad gaze directed at the handsome boy with the red-haired girl. He knew that she still loved him, no matter how often she denied it. He was her best friend, having known her for many, many years.
 
            He had also loved her for many, many years, knowing she would never love him the way he wanted her to. That night, under the streamers and dimmed lights, he felt something hurt a little inside of him, and, finally, he knew his heart had been broken.
 
            He wanted to rush through the doors, and sweep the brown-haired girl off her feet; kiss her full on the mouth. But he knew she didn’t want him like that. She wanted him to be the one to hug her when she cried about the handsome boy, to be the one to help her with her homework. She would never love him like she loved the handsome boy with the girl in the red dress. She would only ever think of him as the boy who always pulled a smile out of his sad soul for her.
 

            As the lanky boy watched all the dancers sway and twirl, he smiled a small, sad smile, and strode to the doors out of which the brown-haired girl had walked a few moments previously. He pushed them open, and went to hug her, as she wept silently for the handsome boy. He held her close, just as he had the night when the handsome boy had left the first time, and then again the second time he had left. His poor, broken heart beat as the final chords to the song pealed down the hallway, bringing an end to the night.

© 2009 nora


Author's Note

nora
mk, this was sort of an experimental peice, because i rewrote it a couple times. and i know that i didnt name any of the characters, so that might be a little weird.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was beautifully sad. I felt like listening to my favorite sad song while the emotions were unfolding. Amazing

Posted 14 Years Ago


that story was awsome! the characters were left so sad and the way the story flowed! i love it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


awwww thats so sweet lost love and hidden love it was sad but a great read i hope she goes to him in the end :D i think you didnt need to name them it works fine with out like you are observing someone elses story :D i liked it :D jules x

Posted 14 Years Ago


Your experiment was a success.
A beautifully written, heart-wrenching success.

I don't even know what to say but "Wow".

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love it! I want read more about it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


The sad hopelessness of this story really drags the reader in. You don't know who to feel for more, the brown haired girl who'll never have the boy she desires or the lanky boy who would be perfect for her.

I love how you didn't mention any names. This style can be a two edged sword. One the one hand, third person and feel impersonal and distant. On the other hand, it can make the reader attach to the characters better because they can be anyone. You achieved the desired goal very well, good write.

N. Strong

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 7, 2009
Last Updated on September 13, 2009

Author

nora
nora

NJ



About
Hello :) My name's Nora. I like daisies because they're happy and friendly. I love music, mostly of the emo variety. I wish to be a writer. My favorite book is The Perks of Being a Wallflower. .. more..

Writing