Let's Keep Pretending

Let's Keep Pretending

A Story by Destiny Glenn

Let’s Keep Pretending (a monolog)

Written by Destiny Glenn


 * This is set in a room of an eighteen-year-old girl who is talking to herself through the mirror*


It takes every last tear I have to put myself to sleep at night, but you wouldn’t know that. I walk around criticizing the features I have and constantly compare myself to others, but you wouldn’t know that. All you can see is this confident, very driven, drastically intelligent girl. You tell me I’m pretty every day, but every time I see my reflection, I want to stab myself multiple times until I’m unidentifiable.  You wouldn’t know this. I’m secretly starving myself, hoping eventually it’ll kill me before anyone finds out, but all you know is that I’m “dieting”. I constantly use filters to cover up everything you don’t see, but you wouldn’t know that�"you can’t see it. I gave up on life a couple days ago, but I continue to pretend I want to be someone huge, someone who makes a difference, someone who strives every day to make sure that happens. All I’m doing now is pretending. I call it protecting you from the true burden that comes with me, but you wouldn’t know that. You don’t know that the only thing I want in life is death, something I once was terrified of. In the end, you’ll never know. It’s a pretending game that never ends. It’s not the fact that I like to play it; it’s the fact that I have to play it. In the end, you don’t know who I am anymore�"I don’t even know who I am anymore. As long as I continue to pretend, I won’t have to know who I’ve become.

© 2016 Destiny Glenn


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

(Slow clap) tremendously deep; my heart aches gor the speaker that's struggles with connecting with others, body image, and emotional well-being. I believe this poem very relatable.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 4, 2016
Last Updated on December 4, 2016

Author

Destiny Glenn
Destiny Glenn

Louisville, KY



About
I'm honestly not a social person. I used to be, but that's another story. I'm a dancer--preferably hip hop, but I also do jazz and lyrical/contemporary. I love photography. It's like looking at the wo.. more..

Writing