The How-To Manual to Being a VIP

The How-To Manual to Being a VIP

A Story by D. Hogan

You’re not a designer fashion model.

You aren’t pulling up in your new Ferrari Modena 360.

And you definitely didn’t receive a starring credit in the latest Twilight flick.  

 

So to have a worthwhile evening of luxury at an exclusive nightclub, it’s going to take preparation. Spontaneity is easy if you’re sticking to your local dive or pub. But that won’t cut it for those who aren’t quite very important people (your mother’s opinion doesn’t count), but still want to get into a VIP club and live it up for a night. It takes more planning and knowhow than Danny Ocean stealing the contents of not one, but three casino vaults �" and looking just as damn good while doing so.

 

The last thing you want is to wait in a long line that goes nowhere when you could be sipping on Cristal, partying with celebs and fashionistas, and making it rain!

 

That said, whether you are in Los Angeles, New York, London, or Paris, there are some surefire tips you need to know in order to learn how to get into those fancy clubs and mingle with the see-and-be-seen crowd.

 

If you can RSVP…

Social media has literally changed the clubbing experience. The olden days required you to be on the inside �" knowing the doorman, obtaining a flier, or receiving a text. In today’s world of partying, all you need to do is RSVP through the social sites you’re using all day long. Just hope that 4,000 other people aren’t on the same list.

 

If you know the right people…

As they say in Hollywood, it’s not who you know, it’s who knows you. Go the extra mile and scope out venues and clubs you might want to frequent on Facebook and Twitter ahead of time. Show your loyalty with a “like” or a “follow”, and then build relationships with promoters. DJs are even better people to know. When you’re at a club where they are spinning, buy them a drink and don’t bug them with requests. Your hard work will pay off �" DJs usually get their own guest lists, so why shouldn’t your name be on it? Get in with the right people now so that you can get into the best places later.

 

If you dress to impress…

It doesn’t matter who you are, you aren’t moving past the front door if you aren’t looking the part. But unless the venue has a crazy-specific dress code, you have options. Obviously you want to look good, but you also want to stand out. The best idea is to make sure you have style, whatever that may be to you. Maybe it’s a skinny tie and a vest, or some awesome new kicks. Got a sweet mustache? Maybe some outrageous glasses? Great! The more you rep your own unique style (upscale style that is), the better your chances for getting in. Ladies. Well, for starters, be happy you’re a lady; your gender already gives you a one up on the men. The best advice is to walk the fine line of sexy and classy. That means, keeping (most) body parts inside your dress and picking an outfit appropriate for your body. Throw on your highest Louboutins and rock them with confidence, but you might want to consider packing a pair of roll-up flats in your clutch. Your tired feet will thank you at 2am.

 

If you do your research…

Every club has a different vibe, so do your research to pick the right one for your group of friends. Are you looking for something ultra posh, a crazy pounding dance floor, premium bottle service, dark and romantic, or more fun and funky? Also keep in mind that some exclusive clubs are even harder to get into than others, which could be a consideration if you have a very large party (unless it’s a pack of sexy girls). Check out sites like Party Earth to get answers to the questions you want to know like, “Is this place popping on Friday night?” Even your own social networks can be a great place to get insider tips like girl/guy ratios, names to drop, the best DJ sets, and which bartenders have a heavy pour. A little work up front will ensure you have a flawless evening on the dance floor.

 

If you’ve got the girls…

Generally speaking, the less people you’re with, the easier it will be to get in. Having 20+ people roll up to a club, expecting to all get in at once just isn’t going to happen, again unless they’re all super-hot gals. If you are planning on showing up in a packed party, break up into small groups. Getting into the club in small waves will be much easier, and ensure that no one is left behind.

 

If you have the whole night…

An easy way to have a great VIP experience is to make a whole night of it. Some of the most exclusive nightlife treasures are supper clubs. Why not have a sexy late dinner and stay for the party after. No waiting in lines and you’ll get a great meal! If you’re checking out the Los Angeles clubs, consider Eva Longoria’s Hollywood hotspot, Beso or Premiere Supper Club. If you’re an east coaster, there’s no comparison to clubs in New York City, and Lavo is among the swankiest �" with a restaurant inside. And if you are going to a regular club, just try and get there a little early to beat the in-crowd who will be arriving fashionably late. You’ll see them inside after you’ve had first dibs at catching the bartenders’ attention �" just remember to tip well if you plan on coming back for a second.

 

If you have the money…

If you have the dough to drop, why not get bottle service? Spending a pretty penny on top shelf liquor and a well-placed seating area is a guaranteed way to seal the deal on VIP success �" and the best way to meet the hottest crowds in the club. Who doesn’t love a free shot? So share a little wealth and the prime real estate. Having deep pockets can also come in handy to grease the bouncer, but feel it out before you reach for the Benjamins.

 

The most important tip to being VIP is to act the part. Confidence commands respect, and respect gets you into the trendiest clubs without a wait. No one will realize you’re a nobody if you act like a somebody. Follow these tricks and you’re sure end up on the right side of the red velvet rope.



Daniel Hogan is a writer at Party Earth - a global media and entertainment company that publishes reviews and listings of the best social experiences around the world including: bars in Paris, pubs in London, beaches in Ibiza, plazas in Rome, parks in New York, festivals and concerts everywhere, and more.

© 2012 D. Hogan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

293 Views
Added on July 7, 2012
Last Updated on July 7, 2012
Tags: clubs, nightlife, Hollywood, LA, New York City, Chicago, things to do

Author

D. Hogan
D. Hogan

Los Angeles, CA



About
Daniel Hogan is a writer at Party Earth - a global media and entertainment company that publishes reviews and listings of the best social experiences around the world including: bars in Paris, pubs in.. more..

Writing