Not a Woman but a Mother

Not a Woman but a Mother

A Story by Jessica Lima

Ella has loved one man her entire adult life. She loved him so much, that she hid traces of the abuse his angry self had caused. Her long sleeves were not a style choice as she had made her friends and family believe. Her tears were not of happiness, or worry about her husband's dangerous work as a police officer. Oh no, her tears were the only visible proof of the pain her unconditional love for her husband had caused her.


On the day Ella finally snapped, the day her love turned to hate, she attended a church service. She heard the words of encouragement she needed to end the abuse. The priest stood in front of his congregation and recited the words from the bible, which he had memorized by heart: " Genesis 2:24 says that 'A man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh" Ella smiled. If she and her husband were one flesh, why was she the only one enduring the abuse?


Ella did not wait for the service to be over. She had come with an open heart, and God had answered. She caressed her stomach, silently promising to protect the growing being inside her belly. Carl would not touch them. Not without feeling the same pain at least.


As good wives often do, Ella cooked and cleaned that night. She made sure to look her best, and to smell of cookies, her husband favorite fragrance. When Carl entered the house, she received him with a smile.


"How was your day dear?" She asked from the kitchen.


"Like any other day, tiring... now bring me a beer woman"


Ella walked towards the living room, hands empty. "I have good news"


Carl looked her up and down, then grimaced "Let me guess, the world run out of beer? You WILL bring me one. Go buy some if need be."


Ella closed her hands into fists. "No, there will be no more alcohol in this house" her tone sounded harsh, she took a few deep breaths before trying to speak again "besides, i'm pregnant!"


Carl was seemingly upset, so Ella made her way to the kitchen. "Dinner is ready!"


Her husband followed her at a slower pace, his eyes never leaving her. Ella new what was coming, she had her hand securely around the frying pan she was using to heat the food. As her husband moved towards her will ill intent, Ella swung the pan with all her might. It hit her husband on the head. He fell to the ground.


"Damn it looks pretty bad babe" Ella smiled sweetly. "Get this through your thick head carl. You ever try to hurt me or my baby again, i'll disappear from the face of this world. You'll never be able to find me again. And just so you know I'm not joking with you, I gave my best friend a letter. In it I tell the story of how you made me feel unsafe inside my own home. I tell about all the years you've hit me." She looked at her husband scared eyes, and waited for acknowledgment. When it came, Ella knew he had understood and that this was the beginning of her new, happy life.


"Come on then" She walked towards the dinner table and sat. "Its your turn to serve me". Carl walked towards the oven like a zombie. Fear behind his eye. Ella liked it, she liked it very much.


She reminded herself to say a prayer before she went to bed. She would be attending church more often. It helped her very much that day.


 





 

© 2017 Jessica Lima


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

With just this line - "Like any other day, tiring... now bring me a beer woman" It gave a VERY STRONG sense of just how dangerous this man was. It was a typical saying which you would witness on a movie/tv show about a violent man. It was quickly followed by a Ellas positive speech back at the man and showed she was going to stand up to him.
Ellas closing out speech was good and rightfully so. A good ending to what started out as having the reader wonder whether she would fight back or not. Quite empowering.

Mark.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A perfect short story and deserves to be called "the most powerful write"... it is so shameful when a husband tortures his wife, threatens or hit her... and the way you have ended is quite impressive,,,the way she fought back is incredible... this shows the immense love of a mother for her kid... outstanding work jessica... :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


God works in mysterious ways indeed in this story Jessica Lima.
I feel you 'over-egged the pudding' with too many references to abuse - telling instead of showing when you could have - as Matrix Mark (below) points out - conveyed the dangerous situation our protagonist faced with the '...bring me a beer woman'.
The scene was well painted. Overall a good story.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jessica Lima

7 Years Ago

Its definitely a work in progress you know? I don't want to write anything too long that people won'.. read more
Tony Jordan

7 Years Ago

My suggestions would mean a shorter piece. Glad you took it in the spirit it was intended.
:).. read more
This is powerful indeed. The day you twisted the end made a strong impact.
Well told story :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yay, women power! This was totally thrilling. loved it!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zoya

7 Years Ago

oops! mother* power! ;p
Jessica Lima

7 Years Ago

haha. good save there!
Wow... very nice! This piece is well done!

Posted 7 Years Ago


With just this line - "Like any other day, tiring... now bring me a beer woman" It gave a VERY STRONG sense of just how dangerous this man was. It was a typical saying which you would witness on a movie/tv show about a violent man. It was quickly followed by a Ellas positive speech back at the man and showed she was going to stand up to him.
Ellas closing out speech was good and rightfully so. A good ending to what started out as having the reader wonder whether she would fight back or not. Quite empowering.

Mark.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 5, 2017
Last Updated on April 6, 2017

Author

Jessica Lima
Jessica Lima

Las Vegas, NV



About
I'm kind of a big dork. Very, VERY geeky. I love poetry, and that's 90% of what I write. Life is chaos, and Poetry... isn't. It is something you can control, that's why my poetry always rhymes. I love.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..