Thinner

Thinner

A Poem by Lauren

A starving young girl
With a size 4 waist
No one had a clue
No one had a taste

In her long, empty mind
She realized she was gone
Maybe no one could understand
Maybe nothing was really wrong

No, she was sane and well
After all, no one can be underweight
At one hundred twenty pounds
Maybe sickness was her fate

She kept withering away
In the quietest way she could
But this thing was here to stay
And to stay it always would

© 2012 Lauren


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This really hit home. My friend Erin recently lost her 4 year struggle with anorexia. It lovkrd her up in a cage and she rotted away, desolate and misundrstood. I battled anorexia too, and this had my crying. Not many things make me cry. But you packed enough raw emotion to make me. And I applaud you for that, because this poem is exuberantly wonderful. I rate it 100/100.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lauren

11 Years Ago

Words cannot say how sorry I am about your friend; it's a cruel thing, and unfortunately not everyon.. read more



Reviews

This is so well done! Not only is it telling a story and also exposing the sadness of an eating disorder, but it is also exposing the harsh truth that an eating disorder never really go away, and it's always there in the back of your mind! Awesome piece! You should read my story When Eating Becomes an Obsession and my Ch 1 for my novel Secrets!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lauren

9 Years Ago

Haha oh this is an oldie :)) Thank you so much!
And yes I will definitely check those out
Nessie_AJ

9 Years Ago

thanks! that would mean a lot!
Last year I read up on anorexia etc... because I once suffered from bulimia, I wanted to know how other girls felt.
This poem tells the story well.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lauren

9 Years Ago

I'm sorry you went through that. any ED is a terrible one.
And thank you!
I worked on an in-hospital eating disorder unit between college and graduate school.
I understand this well.
You do a great job of shining a light on this subject.
The feelings may never change, but the behavior can. There is hope while there is life.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lauren

9 Years Ago

The feelings really never do change...
Thank you so much!
I battled with anorexia when I was 12-15. Its a hard hard battle to fight. But with the right support and understanding I pulled through. This poem made me tear up. It shows the Harshness of it. Well done. thank you for sharing

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lauren

9 Years Ago

I'm so glad you were able to get through it! I was as well almost 2 years later :) thank you again!
Fenix Flight

9 Years Ago

I'm glad you are getting stronger as well :-D
A sad poem. Was a great singer Karen Carpenter. She died from not eating. This is a big problem. The media make goal of perfect beauty impossible. I like how you wrote the poem and led to the sad ending. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lauren

9 Years Ago

Thank you for all the wonderful reviews
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are welcome.
I think that all poetry is from the heart, and when I read this I didn't have a single thing that I'd tell you to change because you wrote everything for a reason, to explain a thought, to give the emotion of what you were feeling, in order to put it all down on paper and have it be understood by others as well.
Great job.
If you think your poetry is "how you want it", then don't ever change it, even when others might be telling you to. :)
Great write although the truth and reality of anorexia is quite a touchy and rough subject.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lauren

11 Years Ago

It really is.
Thank you.:)
Meliss@k

11 Years Ago

You're so very welcome :)
This really hit home. My friend Erin recently lost her 4 year struggle with anorexia. It lovkrd her up in a cage and she rotted away, desolate and misundrstood. I battled anorexia too, and this had my crying. Not many things make me cry. But you packed enough raw emotion to make me. And I applaud you for that, because this poem is exuberantly wonderful. I rate it 100/100.

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Lauren

11 Years Ago

Words cannot say how sorry I am about your friend; it's a cruel thing, and unfortunately not everyon.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ees
hmmmm...
I feel like something is missing. I think that it is well written, but that it might need some more definition.
The last two lines are quite powerful. They apply to several, ehhh, illnesses of the mind, so to speak, in my experience. Some things never do go away.

If I were you I might think about the second line, putting a solid number of the young girl leaves so much room for interoperation. I just keep thinking- I'm a size four and I've been called fat.... do you know what I mean? I feel like by giving the actual number you distract from what you are trying to say.

Good job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

558 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2012
Last Updated on December 13, 2012

Author

Lauren
Lauren

About
Hi, I'm Lauren! I'm 17 and I've been on this website for 2 years. If you've got any questions feel free to ask - I try to be an open book. Feel free to send me a friend request or Read Requests. I .. more..

Writing
First Love First Love

A Poem by Lauren


Wildfire Wildfire

A Poem by Lauren



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sugar and Sun Sugar and Sun

A Poem by Muse


My Boy My Boy

A Poem by Destinyxi