When The End Arrives.

When The End Arrives.

A Story by Endless Flight

The world was going to end.

Everyone said it, everyone heard it and everyone believed it. At the beginning, it all seemed like a silly myth and was cast aside. Then, it began. First came the heat and then disease and famine followed. Destruction and mayhem rained on the world and terror consumed mankind. But yet, there was nothing that could be done. Scientists tried to their last drop of blood and people prayed to their very last breath but yet everything was in vain. And all too soon, everyone went crazy. 

It seemed that in the end, the helplessness and despair had finally worn out. Now, a new-found fear dominated mankind. The lucky ones began to bury themselves in gold and all the pleasures of the world before it was too late. But, the unlucky ones become beasts, ravaging and devouring the world. Chaos ruled the world and order was thrown into the darkness. It seemed all the goodness of the world had drained out and evil polluted the air.

Then, one night while I was hiding myself in the park after hurriedly escaping from the wild grasps of a beast, I came across a young child. In all my life, I could never had fathomed that rare, unspeakable moment; even in the end.   
The young boy was standing on top of the highest slide in the park and gazed into the beyond with a expression that benefited a wise, old man. On hearing my footstep, he glanced sharply at me. He considered me for a moment; I could almost read his mind assessing me. Then, suddenly out of nowhere a smile lit up his face. It started with a few twitches near his cheek and then lit up all too quick, blinding me. 

I had never seen anyone smile like that in my whole life, especially now- being so close to The End. Did he not know what was happening right now in the world? Was he perhaps an ignorant child? But, it didn't seem like it. His eyes were piercing and I knew that he knew what I was thinking. And yet, he continued to smile. All I could do was gaze at him like a stunned fool. Then, he chuckled and extended his small, slender hand to me and spoke.

"Would you care to join me?"

I was too stunned to reply. Surprisingly, my feet responded immediately and I soon found myself on top of the slide with the boy right next to me. But the boy wasn't looking at me; he was looking at the city while it burned, a peculiar expression on his face. We sat like that for a long time, the young boy and I gazing into the city as mayhem tore its way through. Then, unexpectedly he spoke again.

"You know, its a funny thing. The world ending, I mean".

I shot him a furious look but he wasn't looking at me. He was watching the city and its lights fade out, slowly. Then he continued on his train of thought as if I wasn't there.

"Yeah, its really funny. Everyone was so calm and happy before the news hit them. But now- now their all scared. They find out the world's going to end and look what they do", he said and pointed at the rotting city.

"They go crazy! They beg their God for forgiveness or they wrap themselves up with gold and money. Either way, they let their fear overcome them. Now, humanity has become weak to be so easily devoured. I feel so disgusted looking at these people. They become more selfish, more greedy, more evil. I don't understand it at all. So what if the world is going to end soon? Everyone was going to die eventually. Its an inevitable concept. And yet, they still go crazy. Humans have become so selfish".

"But", he said in a soft voice, "they is some good to it. Knowing that the world is going to end soon has brought some little piece of hope for humanity. Some people are beginning to treasure their lives more. Some people are beginning to understand the people they love. Some people are opening up their lives. That, in a way is beautiful. You know your going to die so you live the rest of your life purely and truthfully. You spend it with the people you most love and finally when Death comes to take you, you leave with a smile. That is much better than rest of the scum of the world."

He paused for a moment and continued, "It seems as if it was all destined to happen. Ignorance has caused humanity lots but what has it gained? Perhaps those who survive after The End may finally be able to grasp all that been lost in time. Maybe those who survive can finally understand the meaning of being human and the value of life. It is only in the face of Death do we finally realize the value of our lives. A rather funny game played by Death, I think. Death has a cunning mind; sometimes it crawls upon you at the brink of dawn and grasps the hope of a bright morning or sometimes you see Death coming. But, that doesn't matter. It doesn't matter how Death greets you nor does it matter what form it takes; all that truly matters is how you greet Death. Do you greet Death with a smile, or with regret? Do you greet Death knowing that you gave and received love? I suppose that is a lesson yet to be learned for mankind. Everyone is still absorbed in their world to burst their own safe bubble. Perhaps The End is not actually The End, but rather the end of the way we think. Perhaps, after all, it is a revelation. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how far humanity can be trusted. Or perhaps we have to wait till the very end? I suppose its all just a matter of time. In the end, a spark has just lit up. We'll just have to see what becomes of the fire."

Having said he what was on his mind, the young boy stood up, gazed longingly at the ablaze city and smiled a deep, innocent, young smile. Then, he turned around and left; leaving me to ponder all alone. It seemed like he was just a figment of my imagination, having appeared so suddenly and vanishing in a wisp of smoke. But now as I see the first rays of sunlight escape through the clouds, I smile.

© 2015 Endless Flight


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on September 23, 2014
Last Updated on April 2, 2015

Author

Endless Flight
Endless Flight

About
Welcome, my brethren. Some of you love reading, some of you love writing and most of you do both. And I am one of you. A friend once told me "No one can tell your story but you. No one can write .. more..

Writing