When You're Feeling Lo

When You're Feeling Lo

A Chapter by Casey Canon
"

Solomon and his half-sister, Logan, have a typical day of school, but something seems off about Logan...

"
"Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring!" the bell screeches, relinquishing us all into the sweet release of après l'ècole (man, French makes anything sound cool!).  As I pack my backpack, I start to wonder how Logan's day has been.  She had problems with getting bullied last week, but hasn't talked about it so far, and it is Wednesday.  Maybe it was just then, since she's a freshman.  If I do find out she's being picked on, however, I will not hesitate to give a few strong words (and maybe some even stronger gestures) to the insecure idiots in her fourth block responsible for it.  No one picks on my sister.
I'm leaving the class's hallway now, turning a corner and entering the commons.  The wide space boasts our school colors and mascot, a grey-and-white hawk.  The cafeteria was about ten meters from my spot at the front of the commons, and the tables were covered in kids with their heads ducked in their textbooks like frightened ostriches in sand.  Most of them were a year my superior: juniors studying for the ACT or SAT, most likely.
I'm glad I'm not one of those yet; still a few months and a summer before I come to that point.  For now I can avoid what small responsibilities I do have and pretend with the rest that I want the responsibilities what I don't have.  I survived the Hades of freshman year, I deserve to indulge in such.
Speaking of freshman, I redirect my mind back to Logan.  Even if she wasn't bullied today either, I have a funny story to tell her about my second block, namely Ms. Wyrick's Culinary Arts class.  While cleaning one of the ovens, Jackson, the teach's son, accidentally turned one of the burners on.  The burner in question happened to be the one that he'd haphazardly placed his geometry binder upon.  He didn't realize this until someone gasped and he looked up to see his binder half melted and the papers within set aflame.  It was such a sight, I had to resist from taking pictures and sending them to her.
Chuckling at the recollection, I set my backpack against the wall to prevent from bending my spine out of place under the pressure of two textbooks and a school-issued, cheap-as-dirt laptop.  I stretch a little, run a hand through my brown mop, and just as I prepare to send Lo a quick text that I'm waiting, I see her coming from the other side of the commons.
I feel my stomach turn immediately.
She typically lights up when she sees me, but this time she avoids my eye.  Her broad shoulders are slumped, and she's clutching her books her to chest like a shield to her heart.  She tries to veer off in the direction of the library, but the crowd going the same way pushes her close enough to me that I catch her arm.
"Lo?"
"Oh," she doesn't look up at me. "I was just... um, going to the library, to...  print something." Her voice was a murmur and I didn't quite understand her at first
"Okay, I'll walk you over there!" I let go of her to grab my stuff, and by the time I've strapped in my backpack, she's at the door of the library.  Lo, what is going on?
I hurry after her, concern growing in my gut.  I may be an inch shorter than my sister, but I can still use what little leg muscle I have to fetch a wondering sister.  I finally catch up to her at the entrance, but she slips in with a crowd before I'm close enough to talk to her.  The herd picks up pace and doesn't let me through with her, leaving me to wonder what has possessed my sibling.  Why is she running away like this?
After an eternity, I get let in by a kind peer and get to a clearing in the middle of the library to search.  I scan over pimpled faces and emo hair styles for a hot minute with no sign of her.  She's not at the computers.  She's not near the check out area or laptop charging station.  She wouldn't be in the back with all of the crude teen fiction and audio books.  Did she slip back out?  Is she hiding from someone else?  Dear goodness, what did the bullies do to her?
I feel my anxiety getting ready to climax into hysteria when I feel a tap on my shoulder.  Spinning around, I see my sister standing mournfully before me, ringing her hands.  If I wasn't so mad, I'd hug her. "Logan, there you are!  Geez, what was all that about?!"
"I'm sorry, Solly, I came back when I saw you were so scared!" She winced and my anger subsided.
"But why were you hiding in the first place, Lo?"
She didn't answer at first. "I was afraid you would hate me."  She shook her head. "I let them get to me again, Solly, I'm sorry!  They were saying you only pretended to care, and-and they said that you talked about me to your friends in Biology."  She turned away and wiped her eyes.
I ball my hands into a fists.  I'm never for hitting women, but I'm close to going beyond harsh words at this point.  Insulting her body type or hair is one thing, but this psychological warfare is way out of line.  If they were just insulting me, I wouldn't bat an eye, but just insinuating I'd do anything but praise my sister is going to have repercussions.  I can probably find out who their older siblings are, or their parents.  You can bet I'm going to give the bullies a talk, but if that solves nothing they leave me no choice.  I swear, if they hurt Lo one more time-
Logan sniffles and I remember that vengeance Solomon will be needed later; right now, she needs comfort Solomon to assure her that those idiots are idiots and nothing more. "Lo, I'd never do anything like that.  You can even ask my biology class; if anything, they'd tell you I don't shut up about how awesome you are.  I mean, look at you!  You're the coolest kid at this school."  I pat her head. "And if anyone says otherwise, they're either stupid, or..." I pause to make a point. "No, nevermind, they're just stupid."
She giggles softly and I smile. "So, do you believe me?"
She nods, reciprocating my grin and sniffling. "Yeah, I'm sorry I ever doubted you."
I wrap an arm around her shoulders and lay my cheek on her forehead. "Don't be sorry, it's those jerks who should be sorry.  Tomorrow morning, I promise you, I will find them and make them apologize.  And if it continues anymore, I'll talk to their parents, since Mr. Mell didn't do anything last time I complained." I pull away and pat her back. "Now, how about we take a detour on our way home and get some ice cream?"
"Solly, you know Mom and Dad get mad when we get home late."  She frowned, adjusting her backpack straps. "We have to get home to do the dishes so mom doesn't complain if she wants to cook."
I sigh. "I know, but guess what your amazing brother did to appease the helicopters?"
"Is that possible?" She dejectedly giggles.
"No, but I got close enough, so guess." I cross my arms and tap my foot, smiling smugly. "Here's a hint: isn't it weird how I was awake before everyone else this morning?"
I saw the cogs spin in her head and snorted when realization passed over her face. "You did dishes before school?!  Solly, you don't have to do that, or you could at least wake me up and have me help!"
I shoo away the thought with a wave of my hand. "Psh, don't worry about it, Lo, it's what big brothers do.  Now let's get that ice-cream!"
She giggles and goes ahead, and I watch her.  I'm willing to do basically anything for my sister.  Put up with super annoying parents, threaten bullies, do extra chores: no problem, as long as I can make her smile.  I usually view it as a strength.  It's good for siblings to get along, isn't it?  But as I notice someone staring from the shadows duck away into a book case, I begin to wonder if it may actually be a weakness.


© 2018 Casey Canon


Author's Note

Casey Canon
Part of ongoing story etc, and I realized that all I have published/written in the collection is literally about the villains. I figure I should also have a more inspiring, innocent side of the story available, or at least in the works.
Hm, spooky ending.

Image Credit: snapwiresnaps.tumblr.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on February 4, 2018
Last Updated on February 20, 2018
Tags: love, teen, character, Casey Canon, Blesseds, sibling, shaming, bullying, hope, happy, story, brother, sister, friendship, high school