LUCKY???

LUCKY???

A Poem by Ellen Hammond

  

 

 

“You’re lucky she is even here,”

They heard the doctor sigh.

“Did all we could…but I fear,

She very well might die.”

 

 

“Injuries were horrendous.

Her body may not cope.

The blood loss was tremendous.

I can’t give you much hope.”

 

 

“Multiple compound fractures,

And severely bruised heart;

Right lung collapsed from punctures;

Still,….THAT….is just a start….”

 

 

“Lower leg was crushed and cooked.

We’re forced to amputate.

There’s more surgeries to book,

But they will have to wait.”

 

 

“Sternum, ribs, arms, lower back…

Ankle, wrists, hands and knees…

Broken and crushed; one hip cracked.

There’s even more than these”

 

 

“Femur completely shattered,

Muscles torn and tattered.”

 

 

“Must have been quite a wreck,

She also broke her neck.”

 

 

“Drug allergies prevent us

Prescribing meds for pain.

So, we’ll keep her comatose.

That seems the most humane.”

 

 

Three weeks in intensive care,

They leaned on each other.

Uniting in fervent prayer,

“Please don’t take our mother.”

 

 

In answer to words spoken,

My spirit was sent back…

In body badly broken,

To keep their faith on track.

 

 

In a coma, you can hear

Voices and what is said;

Feel the touch of loved ones near

As they gently stroke your head.

 

 

“She’s so lucky!” voices churned,

Determined, I resolved…

When I awoke they would learn,

There was no luck involved.

 

 

Speeding driver, drunk and high,

At the scene, he did die.

 

 

But I sit here wracked with pain,

My whole life forever changed.

 

 

Hope this poem will make you think.

When you drive, please don‘t drink.

 

 

 

 

 

© 2018 Ellen Hammond


Author's Note

Ellen Hammond
Lately, 2 years after, I have started having flashbacks of that head-on collision and of being in ICU. Many other things happened at both scenes that I didn't mention in this poem, as well as a few of the other injuries. And again, I have started thinking of what my loved ones went through. So, since my therapy is to write, I wrote this. Hopefully it will cause some people to think about what can happen if they drink then drive.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is definitely one of the most very well written, descriptive, heartfelt poems I've read in a very long time. Definitely enough to make almost anyone's eyes tear up. It's also enough to make most sensible people sit back and think about their actions and how their negligence can ruin lives. Very well written!

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow Ellen I thank you for sharing your story with us, I lost someone years ago to a drunk driver so I know the pain... you ares till here by miracle and show us a lot of faith. God bless you for putting this out there and hope it does make others think.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dearest Ellen!
It is truly a miracle that you are alive! And, the person who did this horrific act to you is gone, but yet you are left to live with the pain of it every day for the rest of your life. I know how very, very strong you are, and how much faith you have, but as you are having flashbacks of the accident, it is apparent that you are reliving the event again and though you have forgiven the driver, you are still thinking of how tragic it has been for you and for your dear family!

Dear Lord....please let each of us think of you if we EVER THINK OF GETTING BEHIND A WHEEL WHILE DRINKING...OR ALLOW ANOTHER TO DO SO!

Thank you my friend for posting this. It has taken great courage to share!!
And for that I applaud you, but most of all, offer thanks to God for your strength, and love!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ellen, you have just stolen the very breath right out of my lungs with this beautifully horrific account. I am at a loss as to how to respond--that you are alive, given the extent of your injuries can only be a God-sent miracle! Seeing the car itself really brought it all home for me, in a way that the vids added to poems here never have done elsewhere! You ought to submit this to the MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) monthly magazine. Magnificent, in its pain...


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is definitely one of the most very well written, descriptive, heartfelt poems I've read in a very long time. Definitely enough to make almost anyone's eyes tear up. It's also enough to make most sensible people sit back and think about their actions and how their negligence can ruin lives. Very well written!

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Miss I don't even KNOW you, but this poem brought tears to my eyes! The fact that God has blessed you with a gift that is so prolific is a true sign that YOU are here for a reason. May God bless you on your enlightened journey. Please know that you are a gifted, blessed and VERY talented individual. I am humbled by your words. Truly.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


5
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2541 Views
45 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 21, 2009
Last Updated on May 8, 2018

Author

Ellen Hammond
Ellen Hammond

Saint John, N.B., Bay of Fundy , Canada



About
more..

Writing