Book 1: Snow Pt 1

Book 1: Snow Pt 1

A Chapter by Gem
"

Maura is known as mother Maura to her friends never really taking risks that is until Jonathan arrives and with their first kiss Maura is lost in a happy daze.

"

Hey guys Gem here! Thank you advance for reading my stories, these all are connected in a way and you'll see that as the other stories come about. Please leave comments I love reading them and do reply. =] xoxo Gem

"They said it's not gonna snow this year," Grace said as we walked to school, I looked up at the dark clouds it was well into December and still no snow had fallen unlike last year when we already had a good amount of the white stuff to trudge through.

"Who's they Grace? The hunky weather man you eye f**k every morning," Sam said laughing Grace blushed looking uncomfortable.

"Don't say f**k Sam," I scolded.

Sam rolled his eyes, "sorry I meant eye hump every morning."

We continued our walk in silence, I couldn't imagine a winter in Star Cove when it didn't snow as far as I knew the only time it hadn't snowed had been the year I was born but that was 17 years ago. As we approached the school Ducky walked over a silly grin plastered on his face.

"Hey Duck what are you so happy about?" Sam asked. Ducky took his time answering by fixing his bow tie today's tie was red plaid and though he had on a thick jacket I knew he had matching suspenders on.

"Well if you must know Sammy my boy, I just found out I got into my first choice school," Ducky said happily we cheered and gave him hugs.

"We knew you'd get in," Grace said giving him a small peck on the cheek it was his turn to blush having had a crush on Grace since kindergarten, Sam snickered earning him a punch in the arm from me.

"Come on or we'll be late for class," I said.

"As you wish, mother," Sam said grabbing Ducky and running before I could hit him again.

"I hate it when he calls me that,"

Grace giggled, "well you do act motherly sometimes plus I think he has a crush on you."

I rolled my eyes at her, "as if and besides he's Sam," she shrugged and kept walking.

"Or you're in denial," she said softly.

Talk about denial, she still hadn't realized just how in love with her Ducky was despite the fact that the entire senior class could. We trudged along reaching the school before the late bell quickly dumping our stuff in our lockers we maneuvered through the crowded halls just in time to reach our first class without being late.

A smug looking Sam sat towards the back his feet on top of his desk. I stuck my tongue out at him as I took the seat next to his grabbing my textbook I flipped to the page that was written on the board, it was then that I noticed him, he was almost as tall as Sam but was leaned muscled where Sam was buff he had long light hair that was pulled back and dark almost black eyes that searched the room for an empty seat.

"Who's that?" Grace asked in a hushed whisper I shook my head not wanting to look away from him.

He must have felt my gaze because he turned and looked right at me giving me a smile that had me trying to catch my breath I was aware of Sam trying to get my attention but I ignored him when the teacher walked in he handed her his paperwork and she directed him to the seat behind me making me more nervous than I already was.

As he approached his eyes never left mine and his smile stayed in place as he passed to sit down I caught the faint scent of cold air and sweet mint I could feel him behind me pulling out a notebook and pen to take notes I sat forward in my chair pressing myself against the desk in an attempt to escape whatever these feeling were.

I couldn't focus for the rest of class and knew I'd have to borrow Grace's notebook when the bell rang I waited for him to leave first before moving, gathering my stuff I quickly followed after Grace and Sam to our next class I knew they were discussing an upcoming test but I couldn't find my voice to get in on the conversation. I saw Ducky as he hurried to his next AP class he gave Grace that far away look that she never noticed before continuing on his way.

"Maura, are you even listening?" I blinked and looked over at Grace who was giving me a what the hell look.

"Sorry no what were you saying?" Sam's green eyes bore into me a knowing smile crossing his face I turned my back to him wishing he wasn't so good at reading people especially me.

"I said who are you taking to the dance? It's in like two days," Grace repeated. My thoughts immediately went to the new boy but instead of mentioning someone who's name I didn't even know I just shrugged.

"I haven't really given it much thought, how about you Grace?" she looked thoughtful for a moment and a part of me hoped she say Ducky.

"Oh I don't know," she said flippantly twirling a lock of her blonde hair as we reached the classroom. I tried not to be disappointed as I took my seat, the rest of the day went by in a cold blur, I didn't see the new kid for the rest of the day.

Sam and Ducky met us outside for the walk home, Sam was laughing at one of his own jokes while Ducky shuffled around trying to keep warm.

Girls come on we're freezing our nuts off out here, I don't know about you Ducky but I like my boys warm and toasty."

"Sam!"

"Oh come on mother Maura, give me a break."

We trudged along shivering in the harsh wind the sky was dark with storm clouds making the day seem later than it actually was.

"So Grace are you going to report the weather every morning now that you're hung up on the weatherman?" Sam asked.

"You like the weatherman?" Ducky said.

"So what if I have a small crush on the weatherman, he's tall dark and handsome like my ideal guy."

"I glanced over at Ducky he was shorter than Sam but taller than Grace and I, he was pale with red hair and freckles.

"He has those amazing dark eyes and that gorgeous black hair. I just want to run my fingers through it," Grace continued.

Please stop. My mind begged, with each word Ducky looked even more hurt.

"Well you know how us girls, our ideal guys change a lot," I said but the damage was done Ducky gave me a small crooked smile as I struggled to keep the pity from my eyes. As we walked the rest of the way everyone was quiet.

Grace buried her face in her scarf and simply waved when she reached her street, Ducky mumbled a goodbye at his turnoff leaving me with Sam who had become ghostly quiet.

"Why did you bring up the weatherman?" I finally asked when we reached my house, Sam looked at me a flurry of emotions clear in his eyes and for that moment he didn't look like the jokester Sam I'd grown up with.

"I was just confirming something," he said.

"Oh and what was that, how sad Ducky could look?"

"She knows how he feels and is just playing with him," Sam said.

I shook my head. "No, Grace would never-"

"Open your eyes Maura!" Sam yelled making me jump, his eyes were hardened and his body trembled with anger.

"She's always known and today she described someone the exact opposite of Ducky just to mind f**k him some more, I know you want to see the best in people but Grace is a fake."

There was so much venom in his voice I stepped back.

"I don't believe that."

"You want proof, watch the news tomorrow and get a good look at the weatherman," with that he left, I watched him until he turned onto his street frozen by his words and the possibility that they were true as I thought about the way Grace had giggled and given me a coye answer about the dance.

Finally I went inside, my father was on a business trip and my mom was staying at my great aunts, being alone had never fazed me before but right now I didn't want to be alone, dropping my stuff off in my room I headed to the kitchen to make some hot chocolate. Staring out the window to the backyard I tried to push the thoughts of Grace from my mind as I looked out a ball came flying over the fence bouncing into my yard opening the backdoor I went out and picked it up, no more than a child's kickball it was a faded red and well worn I looked over where it had come from just as someone peeked over.

Thanks for reading Snow pt 1, pt 2 is up now so go check that out and happy reading!



© 2016 Gem


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's hard to put my finger on it. But I found myself skipping parts to keep
interest. Perhaps, Romance/love is not my thing. Where is the crestfallen,
dull thud of emptiness? The Hollow, Slumped body of unrequited LOVE?
Bring that in to flesh it all out. Then when love is finally found, The
very air around your character should be flush with excitement. This is the
real life emotion that can drive your story. And fill your readers with that
feeling of fulfillment. That feeling of be romanced. I hope this helps. And
remember this is only my humble opinion.


Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 4, 2016
Last Updated on January 4, 2016
Tags: Short Story, boyxboy, happiness, heartbreak, heartbroken, hope, kiss, love, oneshots, romance, shortstory, teen, truelove, winter, winter2015


Author

Gem
Gem

Somewhere Wicked, CA



About
Writing is my escape from reality and the best way I know how to express the crazy that makes up my mind so walk through the doors and escape with me. I'll be waiting. I've been writing forever mos.. more..

Writing
Autumn's Light Autumn's Light

A Story by Gem