Bottle

Bottle

A Story by Fin Buckley
"

"I always walk away to the sound of him putting pennies, one by one, into a bottle."

"

What’s your favorite word?


Bottle. I like the word bottle. When I say it, I can hear change being knocked around inside a glass. I can hear it begin when you get to the ‘T’ in ‘bot’, and it finishes when you say ‘tlle’. Bottle. Bottle bottle bottle bottle. It’s such a nice sound, even though it’s only in my head.


It reminds me of when I used to save change in a jar as a child. I still save change in a jar, though now I never keep the pennies. I collect them until my roommate locks himself away, unresponsive to my calls and knocks against his door.


I take a cup and I place the pennies inside, covering my hand over the mouth before I shake it. I shake it obnoxiously and right up against his door so I know he’ll hear it. If he doesn’t respond then I pour the cup out onto the floor, listening as the pennies clatter and roll away from me. I get down on the floor and begin to send the coins under the crack and into his room, one by one. I make sure they hit against each other when I do it, so he knows it's happening, even when he looks out the window on the other side of the room like he always does when he’s in a mood.


He opens the door for that. He’ll stare down at me and I’ll stare up at him, neither one of us speaking while I push the remaining pennies up against his feet with the side of my palm. I’ll stand and he’ll try to close the door but I won’t let him, and silently I’ll pull him in for a hug.


We never really talk when he gets like this, we simply stand in his doorway with his hands shaking against his sides. I can never tell if it’s because he’s afraid to hug me back or because he wants to hit me. He never does either, though, so I don’t really think it matters much.


I pull away first because I’m the only one hugging and I close the door to his room for him. I always walk away to the sound of him putting pennies, one by one, into a bottle.

© 2017 Fin Buckley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Aww, I really liked this. It was funny and sweet. I'm sure even though he doesn't show it, it means something to him too.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
1 Review
Added on May 28, 2017
Last Updated on May 28, 2017
Tags: story, ?

Author

Fin Buckley
Fin Buckley

About
I simply enjoy writing. Let the littlest things inspire you, and let that inspiration run wild. You will find yourself making a lot of art when you do. more..

Writing
Tracks Tracks

A Story by Fin Buckley


Throne Throne

A Poem by Fin Buckley


Waiting Waiting

A Story by Fin Buckley